RogerF

British jazz reissues

311 posts in this topic

Looking at some old Jazz In Britain Facebook posts from late last year, there is a preview pic of the forthcoming Neil Ardley bio by Viv Ardley. Says that it will be released ‘sometime in 2022’ - hopefully in the not too distant future. Nice picture laminate cover, in the style of ‘Splinters’ by the looks of it.

I just noticed on Bandcamp  ( https://deathisnot.bandcamp.com/ ) a 3-part series

I Had the Craziest Dream: Modern Jazz and Hard-Bop in Post War London, Vol. 1, 2, 3.

Time frame late 1940s through early 1960s. Looks really interesting but a little earlier than my main period of interest.

3 hours ago, T.D. said:

I just noticed on Bandcamp  ( https://deathisnot.bandcamp.com/ ) a 3-part series

I Had the Craziest Dream: Modern Jazz and Hard-Bop in Post War London, Vol. 1, 2, 3.

Time frame late 1940s through early 1960s. Looks really interesting but a little earlier than my main period of interest.

Looks like a selection of public domain stuff originally put out by Tempo, Esquire etc. and readily available elsewhere. A bit of a ‘cash in’ IMO.

7 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Looks like a selection of public domain stuff originally put out by Tempo, Esquire etc. and readily available elsewhere. A bit of a ‘cash in’ IMO.

But it's finally available on cassette...

7 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Thanks. Won't be getting any of my cash.

On 4/9/2022 at 6:48 AM, T.D. said:

I have an interesting collection I got recently of the period after this. From the mid 60s to the early 70s. It´s called Journeys in Modern Jazz: Britain. On Decca. Universal, I think.

These 2 are new on bandcamp, I'm listening now:

a3313357459_16.jpg

a2700048945_16.jpg

Posted (edited)

The Henry Lowther 2CD set is particularly good, guitarist Phil Lee is prominent. This was a group that I don’t think recorded commercially but it did appear on radio.

I saw Trevor Watts about a month ago (excellent) so the CD under his name should be an interesting listen and comparison.

The Neil Ardley bio should be out ‘before the end of the year’, apparently. Too bad that vinyl releases are still in quagmire.

Edited by sidewinder

Posted (edited)

Thanks. I listened to the whole Lowther release on bandcamp and it's indeed good.

I like Amalgam and have almost all their recordings, so am likely to pick up the Watts, but only one of the three tracks was available for audition on bandcamp.

Edited by T.D.

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Too bad that vinyl releases are still in quagmire.

Yes, I've got a number of releases piled up for me  & just waiting on the latest Harriott vinyl release (delayed) to add to the haul

Also the Rhythm & Blues label is releasing a Harriott at the BBC (3 sessions) CD - maybe this has already been mentioned

https://rhythmandbluesrecords.co.uk/?product=joe-harriott-quintet-the-rakes-progress-at-the-bbc

29 minutes ago, T.D. said:

I like Amalgam and have almost all their recordings, so am likely to pick up the Watts, but only one of the three tracks was on bandcamp.

The Amalgam release "Prayer For Peace" is a stunner.

Have you heard of the UK label "Hi4Head" - I bought a couple Watts/Amalgam CDs from them - rereleases from the Ogun catalogue (Closer to You & Cynosure) with unreleased material from the same sessions 

Edited by romualdo

Posted (edited)

I agree Prayer for Peace is outstanding. Thanks for the tip, the Ogun releases are the main Amalgam recordings I'm lacking.

[Added] Wow, I even found Closer to You & Cynosure in stock at a reputable US dealer (Downtown Music Gallery). Ordered.

Edited by T.D.