British jazz reissues

RogerF

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2023 at 5:26 PM, T.D. said:

Perusing this on bandcamp. Having recently acquired the excellent Alan Skidmore box, it definitely appeals.

A sensational, previously unheard session by legendary British free jazz saxophonist Mike Osborne, recorded in December 1970 at London's famous 100 Club. From Osborne's personal tape collection. Features two compositions currently thought to be unrecorded in any other setting.

Lineup:
Mike Osborne - alto sax
Alan Skidmore - tenor sax
Harry Miller - double bass
Louis Moholo - drums

a4249812088_10.jpg

This arrived at "The Bastards" (Dusty) today, so I ordered. Much cheaper US shipping that way. Looking forward to it!

On 9/5/2023 at 6:39 AM, Roger Farbey said:

Thanks! Probably the best purchase you'll ever make!!! 😊

Just received my copy of Ed 3 - Great piece of work Roger, this version is definitive and with significant additional content. Great CD too - very much recommended by me and thanks, Roger, for putting this out. Ian would be proud !

With regard to the last Rendell/Carr album 'Change Is' and a mention in Roger's book (p42) about the possible origin of the title 'Change Is' and suggested links to a short lived club at 15 Bath Lane, Newcastle - looks pretty conclusive I think. Here's an advert showing that they did indeed play the club (or, according to the microscopic text, were lined up to play there):

ChangeIsCircus.jpg

This particular 'club' has quite a history. Apparently the whole thing was a total money-pit, funded by comedian and major star of the time Bob Monkhouse, who later claimed that the co-founder/host/hypnotist (stage name 'Romark') had hypnotised him into funding it ! The club opened in 1969, folded quickly when Bob pulled out and hardly lasted into the 70s, so that would align with the release date of the LP.

Sounds almost like something out of 'Get Carter' !

Story here: Change Is

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...

I'm always behind, but just noticed this book+2CD from JIB:

https://jazzinbritain.co.uk/merch/pre-order-and-did-those-feet-six-british-jazz-composers-by-duncan-heining-includes-two-cds-of-previously-unreleased-music-not-available-separately

And Did Those Feet… examines in depth the lives and work of six British jazz composers – Michael Garrick, Mike Gibbs, Barry Guy, John Mayer, Keith Tippett and Mike Westbrook. Each of these musicians began their careers in jazz in the 1960s, years of artistic and political ferment and upheaval. Music historian Duncan Heining locates those beginnings in the context of changing times and shows how these composers’ work continued to develop whilst remaining influenced by values that continued to be informed by social and cultural concerns.

Comments? I'm seriously interested in preorder, subject to any caveats brought up here. Thanks.

I've got the book and CDs on pre-order too and really looking forward to it. Hopefully not long now before it goes out in the mail.

Heining's previous books on Graham Collier and George Russell were really good so I have high hopes. Not quite so keen on the 'Trad Dad's.. ' book but I need to give that one another read.

Edited by sidewinder

• 3 weeks later...

0033372585_10.jpg

My pre-order copy of this fine tome arrived today. First impression from scanning the chapters - looks great. I particularly like the look of the chapters on Garrick and Mayer but to be honest there's a comprehensive overview of all 6 and in each case their full careers and key recordings are looked at. The CDs are also worth having - some great broadcast music from 1972 from the Garrick group on CD1. Not audiophile but in musical terms top-notch.

Back to reading...

Edited by sidewinder

• 1 month later...

I received the Heining today. Excellent book, well put together and in nice big print (I guess JIB know their target demographic 😅). Starting with the Barry Guy section since I've been listening to a lot of his music lately, finding it very informative.

Agreed with previous comments. CDs nice though not audiophile quality. I found Heining's prose in the Introduction a tad on the precious side, but less so in the text proper.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, romualdo said:

DMG's (Downtown Music Gallery) latest newsletter has a significant section on the Brit Prog Jazz scene, particularly referencing the JIB & BPJ labels

https://www.downtownmusicgallery.com/newsletter_detail.php?newsID=4391

Some good reviews there - and I need to pick up those Trevor Watts and Karl Jenkins releases. On the one visit I made to DMG in its old location, I picked up the Wickes book.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2024 at 1:24 PM, romualdo said:

I'm amazed that Tony Oxley's wonderful RCA release "Ichnos" has never made it to CD (is this listed in Labyrinth?)

what a lineup: Wheeler, Rutherford, Parker, Bailey, Guy & Oxley - doesn't get much better than that

Yes, Ichnos is given a double page spread in Labyrinth. I agree it really needs to be reissued just as Oxley's two albums for CBS were reissued on CD some years ago.

35 minutes ago, Roger Farbey said:

Yes, Ichnos is given a double page spread in Labyrinth. I agree it really needs to be reissued just as Oxley's two albums for CBS were reissued on CD some years ago.

Those CBS CD reissues were back in the 1990s I think - definitely overdue another reissue.

I have 'Ichnos' on vinyl and really need to dig it out again.

In terms of other current releases - I see that there is a new Mike/Kate Westbrook release coming up. I've pre-ordered, should be good.

Amancio d'Silva's 'Reflections' is also coming up on LP as part of RSD.

Edited by sidewinder

14 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

So it appears that the Decca reissue programme has come to a halt? 

Looks like it. Interestingly though the RSD 'Reflections' will be put out by Decca and with new notes by Tony Higgins.

Edited by sidewinder