British jazz reissues

RogerF

Perusing this on bandcamp. Having recently acquired the excellent Alan Skidmore box, it definitely appeals.

A sensational, previously unheard session by legendary British free jazz saxophonist Mike Osborne, recorded in December 1970 at London's famous 100 Club. From Osborne's personal tape collection. Features two compositions currently thought to be unrecorded in any other setting.

Lineup:
Mike Osborne - alto sax
Alan Skidmore - tenor sax
Harry Miller - double bass
Louis Moholo - drums

a4249812088_10.jpg

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, T.D. said:

Perusing this on bandcamp. Having recently acquired the excellent Alan Skidmore box, it definitely appeals.

A sensational, previously unheard session by legendary British free jazz saxophonist Mike Osborne, recorded in December 1970 at London's famous 100 Club. From Osborne's personal tape collection. Features two compositions currently thought to be unrecorded in any other setting.

Lineup:
Mike Osborne - alto sax
Alan Skidmore - tenor sax
Harry Miller - double bass
Louis Moholo - drums

a4249812088_10.jpg

what a lineup!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My copy of the Alan Skidmore box is due to arrive today. Plenty of listening time on a coolish, wet and gloomy day (at least it is not touching 50C as in points South!) I’ve also ordered the Harry Becket and Surman LPs from Decca to ‘complete the set’ of these so far. I wonder if there will be any more releases in this series?

On 7/14/2023 at 11:22 AM, sidewinder said:

My copy of the Alan Skidmore box is due to arrive today. ...

I still have to wait. My dealer just wrote to me: "We remind our suppliers every week, but so far without success."

Edited by optatio

Amazon UK are now listing it for about £30, if that is any use to you.

Listening to CD1 it sounds pretty good. A ‘must buy’ I would say if you are a fan of Mr Skidmore.

One of the later disks has a track with Elvin Jones at Ronnie’s from about 1988. The way the booklet is worded implies that this was an early appearance with Elvin but I’m pretty sure I saw the two of them in 1980 at the club, with Pat LaBarbera and Roland Prince. Either that or I am losing my marbles !

Some bizarre stuff on CD1. Alexis Korner’s Blues Band playing George Russell ?!

Edited by sidewinder

57 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Amazon UK are now listing it for about £30, if that is any use to you.

Listening to CD1 it sounds pretty good. A ‘must buy’ I would say if you are a fan of Mr Skidmore.

One of the later disks has a track with Elvin Jones at Ronnie’s from about 1988. The way the booklet is worded implies that this was an early appearance with Elvin but I’m pretty sure I saw the two of them in 1980 at the club, with Pat LaBarbera and Roland Prince. Either that or I am losing my marbles !

Some bizarre stuff on CD1. Alexis Korner’s Blues Band playing George Russell ?!

CD1 is a blast! 

The Elvin track is one with the more compromised SQ, very 'live' iirc

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone in the UK know where I could source my Jazz In Britain & British Progressive Jazz CDs - I've downloaded many of them (I'm a subscriber) & burnt them to CDr but occasionally I want to get the actual CD or rarely an LP version. Been sourcing them via Dusty Groove (yes, Chicago!!) as the shipping costs were reasonable but over the past few months that has changed. Also buying them via JIB bandcamp, the shipping costs to Australia are ridiculous per CD. I did do a one off bulk order from JIB (not via Bandcamp) last year. I also purchase from Honest Jon's but they don't stock the JIB or BPJ releases.

1 hour ago, romualdo said:

Anyone in the UK know where I could source my Jazz In Britain & British Progressive Jazz CDs - I've downloaded many of them (I'm a subscriber) & burnt them to CDr but occasionally I want to get the actual CD or rarely an LP version. Been sourcing them via Dusty Groove (yes, Chicago!!) as the shipping costs were reasonable but over the past few months that has changed. Also buying them via JIB bandcamp, the shipping costs to Australia are ridiculous per CD. I did do a one off bulk order from JIB (not via Bandcamp) last year. I also purchase from Honest Jon's but they don't stock the JIB or BPJ releases.

I think JazzMessengers.com also stock both labels.

Been really enjoying this 2CD set by the late Trevor Tomkins. I think I caught at least one of the sessions when originally broadcast on Radio 2 FM but never thought I would hear these again. Sound is pretty good - seems to have been recorded off of FM stereo radio broadcast.

A quiet ‘gem’, reminds me a bit of the Henry Lowther Quaternity set, with guitarist Phil Lee in both groups. Versatile reed player Jimmy Hastings and that excellent trombonist Chris Pyne are featured in this one.

This sort of release is, to my mind, what JiB are all about.

a0146475903_5.jpg

43 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I've only purchased through Bandcamp. A couple of ideas come to mind that might be worth investigating

http://www.jazzhouserecords.co.uk/ 

https://www.prestomusic.com/ 

https://propermusic.com/

thanks, will do

14 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I think JazzMessengers.com also stock both labels.

Ah yes, I should have thought of them - I did my first order (Lacy LPs & two Threadgill CDs) with them last month (after a break of a few years after they commenced charging for shipping unless it was a massive order)

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 9:27 PM, T.D. said:

For US residents: The 3-cd Splinters Inclusivity surfaced at Dusty Groove for $22.99, so I finally purchased it!

I also ordered this new Stan Sulzmann release after listening to (and enjoying) it on the JIB site:

a2217599534_16.jpg

This one sounds excellent, from the samples. Just about to order.

I recognise the first (very catchy) track, ‘G.R.S’ (I think), from a radio theme tune many decades back. One of the BBC Radio jazz shows used to use it as theme music I recall. I think it was the ‘Jazz In Britain’ show which used to go out at some ungodly hour of the night, with no repeats that I recall. Over the years I’ve often wondered where that track came from.

An additional plus is that this one has been very well recorded. Looks like they ripped from one of the original vinyl LPs.

Additional bonus - Duncan Heining’s new book covering 6 major British jazz figures of the 60s and 70s is just up for preorder.

Edited by sidewinder

11 minutes ago, T.D. said:

You have to look under "Merch" on the JIB site.

https://jazzinbritain.co.uk/merch

Someone on the forum kindly informed me of this a while back.

Excellent.  Thanks so much to both of you!  :tup

EDIT:
I'm a tad surprised that Kenny Wheeler isn't one of Heining's chosen six.  I realize that he's Canadian, but still. An honorary Brit, no? . . .  Not a criticism or even a quibble.  Just an observation.

Edited by HutchFan

Just now, HutchFan said:

No problem - needless to say, I will be ordering this. As with the Neil Ardley  book it comes with a couple of bonus CDs.

Debating whether or not to order (board member) Roger F’s Ian Carr critical discography, 3rd Edition. Thanks to Roger I have the first 2 - maybe he can advise if the changes merit going for the 3rd Edition?🙂

7 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

EDIT:
I'm a tad surprised that Kenny Wheeler isn't one of Heining's chosen six.  I realize that he's Canadian, but still. An honorary Brit, no? . . .  Not a criticism or even a quibble.  Just an observation.

Being overseas born probably doesn’t rule Wheeler out from inclusion, as John Mayer was born in India I think. I suspect though that as Heining mentions that the 6 ‘came into jazz in the 1960s’ that would rule out Kenny, who came into the music in the 1950s.

Ooof.  I see that the cost of shipping across the Atlantic is more expensive than the book itself.  Even so, this is one that I can't & won't resist. 

Maybe Santa Claus can put it under the tree for me come Christmastime.  

Another problem:  As you've noted, @sidewinder, those other books look mighty enticing too.  This could get expensive.  

Edited by HutchFan

23 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Being overseas born probably doesn’t rule Wheeler out from inclusion, as John Mayer was born in India I think. I suspect though that as Heining mentions that the 6 ‘came into jazz in the 1960s’ that would rule out Kenny, who came into the music in the 1950s.

Gotcha. That makes sense.  :tup

41 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Ooof.  I see that the cost of shipping across the Atlantic is more expensive than the book itself.  Even so, this is one that I can't & won't resist. 

Another problem:  As you've noted, @sidewinder, those other books look mighty enticing too.  This could get expensive.  

I can recommend the Neil Ardley. Viv Ardley did a nice job and there are interesting artefacts and photos covering the many aspects of Neil’s life. It is a lovely tribute to what by all accounts was a very talented and thoroughly decent guy. I also contributed some material in my collection to the appendices. 🙂 The two bonus CDs also have rare and very interesting music from Neil’s collection.

Roger’s critical discography is also great. I’m tempted to buy it just for the bonus CD, even though the various editions are overflowing in my bookcase.😂

Sorry for the damage to your bank account. Mine will be suffering too !

Edited by sidewinder

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Ask Dusty Groove if they are going to carry it.

Debating whether or not to order (board member) Roger F’s Ian Carr critical discography, 3rd Edition. Thanks to Roger I have the first 2 - maybe he can advise if the changes merit going for the 3rd Edition?🙂

Sorry for the delay in response Sidewinder but I can confirm that the 3rd edition is expanded, up-to-date and includes corrections to errors and omissions that occurred in the previous two editions. I can also say that I don't receive any income from sales of the book since, as with most if not all the JIB products, they are the result of a labour of love promoted by a not for profit organisation. So I can therefore advise that the (extremely good value!) 3rd edition is *definitely* worth forking out for. Plus of course the CD that's included with it. Hope that helps.

Edited by Roger Farbey