RogerF

British jazz reissues

293 posts in this topic

Plus the forthcoming Ardley bio coming up as well !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/01/2021 at 7:08 AM, RogerF said:

I like the intros mainly because of the late, great Peter Clayton’s insightful and humorous contributions. On a couple of the Thompson discs there are rare intros by Ian Carr, a genuine treat.

Plus the Charles Fox intros to ‘Jazz In Britain’ and ‘Jazz Today’. I remember these well, an excellent programme but as I recall ‘Jazz Today’ had an afternoon slot and required a brisk trip back from school in order to catch it ! 

Very good sound on all the disks in the Barbara Thompson set so far. The Temple Music sourced recordings are excellent, presumably master copies from the sessions. The air checks are presumably good FM stereo copies contributed by fans of the music. I notice that one of these is from the ‘Dave Robinson Archive’ - presumably this would be the founder of Stiff Records?

The remastering job is first rate.

 

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Plus the Charles Fox intros to ‘Jazz In Britain’ and ‘Jazz Today’. I remember these well, an excellent programme but as I recall ‘Jazz Today’ had an afternoon slot and required a brisk trip back from school in order to catch it ! 

 

 

That takes me back! I too hurried home in the late 60s for that programme (from a teaching job in a college of further education - we had good conditions of service in those days!). I recall hearing people like Shepp, Ayler, and Tchicai (all of whom I dug in those days, believe it or not.) :)

On 21/01/2021 at 7:08 AM, RogerF said:

I like the intros mainly because of the late, great Peter Clayton’s insightful and humorous contributions. On a couple of the Thompson discs there are rare intros by Ian Carr, a genuine treat.

For years I listened to Peter Clayton on Jazz Record Requests. The late John Sheldon (JohnS on this forum) told me Peter got him into a BBC session with Sir Charles Thompson. John said Sir C played the whole session with a book on golf open on the music stand. An obvious enthusiast, he named a tune "Fore!":lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting Bill. I remember John (bless him) telling me of his friendship with Peter Clayton and what a good guy he was. I don’t think he mentioned the Sir Charles T. story. Incidentally, I did once see Sir Charles in solo recital and yes - he did play ‘Robbin’s Nest’.

’Jazz Today’ was broadcast at about 4.45 weekdays I think so it needed a quick scarper after school. ‘Jazz In Britain’ as I remember was at some ridiculous time like 12.30 am so many people (and usually me) missed it. Peter Clayton’s ‘Sounds of Jazz’ was Sunday night 10pm to 12.30 am with ‘Jazz Club’ from 11.30 and into the post-midnight slot. I certainly remember hearing at least a couple of those Barbara Thompson broadcasts - ‘Jubiaba’ for sure.

’Jazz Today’ was an astonishingly good programme, especially as it was only half an hour or so. Learnt a lot from those broadcasts.

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that the Canadian company Return To Analog has reissued on vinyl the very rare Lansdowne recording Afro-Jazz by Guy Warren which features the Rendell Carr Quintet plus Amancio D'Silva on guitar. Return To Analog

 

AFROJAZZ_800x.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a very welcome reissue. A session which promises more than it delivers, perhaps - nevertheless good to see it back in circulation. Other than the single track included in the ‘Jazz Explosion’ LP, it was new to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, RogerF said:

I see that the Canadian company Return To Analog has reissued on vinyl the very rare Lansdowne recording Afro-Jazz by Guy Warren which features the Rendell Carr Quintet plus Amancio D'Silva on guitar. Return To Analog

 

AFROJAZZ_800x.jpg

I was rather impressed by this session. Definitely worthy of reissue and a good listen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2021-01-30 at 10:12 AM, RogerF said:

I see that the Canadian company Return To Analog has reissued on vinyl the very rare Lansdowne recording Afro-Jazz by Guy Warren which features the Rendell Carr Quintet plus Amancio D'Silva on guitar. Return To Analog

 

AFROJAZZ_800x.jpg

I briefly considered ordering this, as it is a Canadian outfit, but even shipping within Canada ranges from $13-16, and I assume it is considerably higher to send outside Canada.  Hoping that it is released more widely in another format and/or digitally...

Actually, I see that Sonic Boom here has a few of their LPs in stock and may be doing curbside pickup.  I may weaken...

Edited by ejp626

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2020 at 11:21 AM, sidewinder said:

An exceptional month for Barbara Thompson fans. Not only does she have her autobiography published but there’s also a box set 14CD issue of her BBC recordings.

https://barbara-thompson.co.uk/product/barbara-thompson-live-at-the-bbc/

I'm holding off on this (for now), but I did order The Last Fandango from her store on Amazon.co.uk.  Somehow they sent me 2 sealed copies!  I'll see what they want to do but pretty much anything is going to be a bit of a hassle or perhaps costly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

I'm holding off on this (for now), but I did order The Last Fandango from her store on Amazon.co.uk.  Somehow they sent me 2 sealed copies!  I'll see what they want to do but pretty much anything is going to be a bit of a hassle or perhaps costly.

Well, my opinion so far is that the music in this set is actually superior to any of the commercial Paraphernalia LP releases that I have. Audio quality is very good, as typical of the BBC FM broadcasts of the era. Really digging this BBC box and it makes a great accompaniment to enjoying Barbara’s very down to earth biography (also strongly recommended).

I heard some of those 70s broadcasts from Paraphernalia and Jubiaba on BBC radio (sadly, often in AM) and it is great to be able to savour them in slower time on FM stereo broadcast quality and repeat as necessary. A rare treat !

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sidewinder said:

Well, my opinion so far is that the music in this set is actually superior to any of the commercial Paraphernalia LP releases that I have. Audio quality is very good, as typical of the BBC FM broadcasts of the era. Really digging this BBC box and it makes a great accompaniment to enjoying Barbara’s very down to earth bio.

I am tempted, and I'll probably eventually order it.  But I am not quite read to pull the trigger.  Thanks for the review though.  ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully it will hang around for a while and not disappear in a jiff. I am also tempted by their Colosseum box.

So far, every disk in the BT box has been excellent. 

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually unissued (not a reissue) live tracks from 1964, but still seems to fit better here.  Ian Carr/Don Rendell Blue Beginnings is available as a pre-release on Bandcamp: https://jazzinbritain1.bandcamp.com/album/blue-beginnings

with full release expected April 21.

a0979185301_16.jpg

 

Edited by ejp626

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Not a reissue but a new live recording by Mike Taylor just up for pre-order from Jazz In Britain. From the Jon Hiseman archive. Vinyl to follow later in the year.

a3467088865_10.jpg

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ooh, will have to check that although I already sprung for too much on Bandcamp today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

ooh, will have to check that although I already sprung for too much on Bandcamp today.

Just about to order the Neil Ardley ‘Kaleidoscope of Rainbows’ QEH Live 2CD from them as it ships out from Monday onwards, ahead of schedule.

Particularly interesting as I have some original correspondence between Ardley and critic Derek Jewell relating to this music and gig !

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Not a reissue but a new live recording by Mike Taylor just up for pre-order from Jazz In Britain. From the Jon Hiseman archive. Vinyl to follow later in the year.

a3467088865_10.jpg

Holding out for the LP, so far. Just one day I realise...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Holding out for the LP, so far. Just one day I realise...

I’ve just pre-ordered the CD - keen to hear it in full. I’ll be opting also for the vinyl in due course. I have the sneaking feeling that both formats will sell out pretty fast.

I don’t think the Luca Ferrari bio of Taylor even mentions this live recording.

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2021 at 7:15 PM, RogerF said:

This is out now and I'm currently listening to the remarkably impressive download (free with the CD purchase):

Kaleidoscope Of Rainbows Live '75

Not sure if the readers of this thread are aware but Barbara Thompson and Ian Carr also feature on the upcoming archival release of Neil Ardley's Kaleidoscope of Rainbows Live '75 recorded at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, London. This is a double CD release by Jazz In Britain (pre-order via Bandcamp) and from listening to the promo tracks on their Bandcamp site this is an absolutely superb album in high quality stereo. 

Kaleidoscope.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Roger, it is very good. In fact I prefer what I’ve heard of it to the LP release, the music is expanded and opened out considerably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Yes Roger, it is very good. In fact I prefer what I’ve heard of it to the LP release, the music is expanded and opened out considerably.

I absolutely agree! It's like hearing a new piece of work entirely.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I subscribed to JIB a couple of days ago (really pissed that I missed the Harriott/Garrick LP releases)

£24 for a year subscription - you get 4 older downloads (no choice here but I did manage to score the Harriott release) then all the new releases (from the date of subscription) for the next year - I'm downloading as AIFF files so I can burn my own CDs

Great deal IMHO - I'll just keep doing that but also buy the occasional LP or CD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, romualdo said:

I subscribed to JIB a couple of days ago (really pissed that I missed the Harriott/Garrick LP releases)

£24 for a year subscription - you get 4 older downloads (no choice here but I did manage to score the Harriott release) then all the new releases (from the date of subscription) for the next year - I'm downloading as AIFF files so I can burn my own CDs

Great deal IMHO - I'll just keep doing that but also buy the occasional LP or CD

I didn't do that, but there was a good deal where you could get the full digital discography (20 releases including 3 pre-releases scheduled over next couple of months) for £58.  Now in a year or two, I might wish I had gone the subscription route.  It depends on how many subscriber exclusives there are.  However, I'm not that interested in getting tipped off on physical releases, so this seemed to make more sense for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Some of the best of the music on the Garrick/Harriott release is only available in the longer digital option so not getting hold of the LP is not a disaster IMO.

Wish they would do a second batch of that Ray Russell Vol 1 though !

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.