Album of the Week : Don Sleet "All Members"

michel1969

This album is imo one of the perfect hard Bop session ; Recorded march 16, 1961, issued as Jazzland 45. Features the obscure and brilliant trumpeter Don Sleet, Jimmy heath on tenor and the perfect rythm section Wynton kelly, Ron carter Jimmy Cobb.

A very brilliant trumpetist, with a bright and rounded sound that surprisingly remained obscure. Don Sleet previously recorded with Lenny McBrowne in LA, 1960 (Eastern Lights , RLP 346).

Here are some links regarding Don Sleet. Thay are not of big interest anyway. Don Sleet

keep swinging

Don Sleet necrology (1987)

I will not write long praise about this record. I have listened to it hundred times...I believe many of you have more interesting things to say about it.

Edited by Michel

When I used to visit Borders with some regularity, I can remember seeing this CD. I mean it had to have been sitting in the bins for over a year, if not longer. Finally, someone bought it, but that someone wasn't me.

Several years later, when I first joined e-music, I was going through their OJC catalogue and saw "All Members". I remembered it from my Borders days, so I figured, what the heck. The only word I could appropriately apply to my reaction upon listening to this session, was "shocked". Shocked that such a great session could be under the leadership of such an obscure musician. Shocked at the quality of the band. But, mostly, shocked because he never did anything else. It's made me wonder if this just sat on the shelf for years so that by the time it was finally released, the concept of any kind of follow up had become moot.

Anyhow, if you've never listened to this, you are in for a treat. No weak sister, business class filler on this one. All the tunes and all the playing are first rate.

Up over and out.

It's a pity Fantasy never got around to reissue Eastern Lights by Lenny McBrowne & The Four Souls, Or Blue Note to reissue their self-titled debut LP on Pacific Jazz - Sleet was a member of this band, and the two albums are just as fine, even without the all-star cast of All Members. Daniel Jackson was a member of the band, but only the drumming leader rose to national fame, and their first bassist, Herbie Lewis.

I can't help but think that Orrin Keepnews signed Sleet as a Chet Baker replacement in his artist roster ... at least the way he is photographed on the cover points in this direction. It's a damn fine album, and one of the best trumpet player debut albums of its time.

546130_170x170.jpg

but only the drumming leader rose to national fame, and their first bassist, Herbie Lewis.

wasn't jimmy bond the other bassist? (and isn't he famous... another Chet Baker connection btw...; concerning big names daniel jackson said he took over harold land's spot in the four souls...) Sleet is also on one Shelly Manne album iirc

another fan of all members here...

Edited by Niko

Thanks for coming up with this one. My copy is a French vinyl reissue, when it came ot I'd not come across the album before or heard of Sleet for that matter. Sleet is in good company here so the disc can hardly fail but Sleet is excellent, as the Penguin Guide points out he 'shies away from the obvious' which gives the session a lot of its appeal.

Listening to the record points up the urgent need to reissue the Lenny McBrowne albums.

A fine album, but isn't the stereo spread/separation (at least on the OJC CD) kind of extreme? The only album I can think of that's as weird that way is the Frank Rosolino-led date with Harold Land on Speciality. Without going back and checking, wasn't a very wide spread with lots of separation/isoslation between instruments Riverside's way for a while (c.f. Blue Mitchell's "The Cup Bearers")?

but only the drumming leader rose to national fame, and their first bassist, Herbie Lewis.

wasn't jimmy bond the other bassist? (and isn't he famous... another Chet Baker connection btw...;

Jimmy Bond played only the record date as Lewis had left shortly before that one, he never was a regular member.

concerning big names daniel jackson said he took over harold land's spot in the four souls...)

Chewy is a big fan of Daniel Jackson and knows him personally. Jackson wrote most of the arrangements on both Four Souls albums - a great talent. I can't see why he didn't make it bigger ...

About 40 years ago I had a girl friend who only owned one jazz Lp: Don Sleet: All Members. I had a couple of hundred of jazz Lps by then but I'd never heard of Don Sleet. Must admit I never gave it a listen. (The arrogance of youth.)

wasn't jimmy bond the other bassist? (and isn't he famous... another Chet Baker connection btw...;

Jimmy Bond played only the record date as Lewis had left shortly before that one, he never was a regular member.

concerning big names daniel jackson said he took over harold land's spot in the four souls...)

Chewy is a big fan of Daniel Jackson and knows him personally. Jackson wrote most of the arrangements on both Four Souls albums - a great talent. I can't see why he didn't make it bigger ...

another daniel jackson fan here, attended some of his piublic workshops when i was sixteen );don't really know how to express my admiration for him, but it's really really great;

very similar discussion in this older thead

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=39275

but i'd like to point out again this great interview (and mention he has four cds on cdbaby)

http://musicandculture.blogspot.com/2007/1...diego-jazz.html

why he didn't make it bigger...

guess he was 5 years to young, he could have avoided some substances (and riverside disappeared...)

Edited by Niko

Every year during the 90's I would write to Fantasy president Ralph Kaffel with a list of ten or so albums that I felt were worthy of reissue in the OJC series . The Sleet was always among those albums . Nothing came of my requests until I put Don Sleet's brother David in touch with the folks at Fantasy . He in turn enlisted some of the people who had played with Don such as Mike Wofford and John Guerin to lobby as well , and Fantasy came through . I guess you could say I was kind of a midwife to the re-birth of this recording on CD .

Fantasy altered the cover art for the CD a little , adding a pink tinting and cropping the cover photo a little . And as usual , they omitted the photos that appeared on the back of the record jacket , in this case one of Wynton Kelly and one of Jimmy Heath . The CD itself sounds great , with all praise due to Ray Fowler and his original recording .

As to the music , well the first thing that makes an impression is Don's tone : clear , pure , bright and brassy . He moves around the horn with ease , has good range , and is not given to flashy displays of his considerable chops . Mr. Consistent Wynton Kelly is beautiful throughout both in support and in his spots . Sometimes I think Wynton couldn't not swing even if he tried ! Ron Carter is solid , except during Brooklyn Bridge , Fast Company and All Members , when he pulls out his bow and brings the swing to a crashing halt in just the way Paul Chambers used to do . Jimmy Heath's phrasing and tone provide contrast with Sleet's , but solo-wise , at the end of the record it's Sleet and Kelly who leave the biggest impressions . The high point of the record for me is the closing number , The Hearing . I love the moody opening statement of the melody by the horns over Kelly's ostinato and Cobb's sock cymbal , and the contrasting emotional color of the bridge . Sleet turns up the heat during his solo without sacrificing any of the elegance of his swing . The earnest , yearnings of Heath follow , after which there is a Wynton Kelly solo that is the very epitome of swing - just try and keep your body from moving during that one !

Footnote : I have always thought that 'Fast Company' would have been a much more apposite title for this record given the sidemen and given that it's the only Sleet composition on the record .

Further footnote : I think we can agree that Don Sleet was certainly a 'talent deserving wider recognition' , and may have had the misfortune to come on the scene at a time when giants walked the earth , but it would be facile to infer that this led to his drug abuse and ultimately the lymphoma that ended his life at 48 . Or maybe it's just too sad to connect those dots...

Edited by Chas

A really fine session. Purchased the LP when it was first issued, and now am extremely happy to have a CD copy.

Has there ever been a thread that focuses on the one and only album by a leader that turned out to be very very good?

This one certainly is a prime example.

I thought there was a thread referring to something like that.

Ric Colbeck's lone Fontana LP is another prime example - stunning date, far and away superior to his rare sideman appearances.

Don't like being a killjoy, but I've never had as high a regard for this session as most others who have written about it on this thread.

Don Sleet's playing has its moments, but too often he falls back on Miles-isms, or his facility wins out over the feel of the music.

The other musicians on the date, with the exception of Wynton Kelly, sound somewhat disinterested. It may have been a group that came together in the studio for the first time. I find Jimmy Heath's playing particularly disappointing. Someone else has commented on the poor quality of Ron Carter's arco playing. Someone at the session should have taken his bow and broken it in two - only halfway serious about that.

Don Sleet's playing certainly had potential. Who knows what might have happened if he had stuck with the music?

To my ears, All Members isn't a bad record, but it's not really a good one either.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't like being a killjoy, but I've never had as high a regard for this session as most others who have written about it on this thread.

Don Sleet's playing has its moments, but too often he falls back on Miles-isms, or his facility wins out over the feel of the music.

The other musicians on the date, with the exception of Wynton Kelly, sound somewhat disinterested. It may have been a group that came together in the studio for the first time. I find Jimmy Heath's playing particularly disappointing. Someone else has commented on the poor quality of Ron Carter's arco playing. Someone at the session should have taken his bow and broken it in two - only halfway serious about that.

Don Sleet's playing certainly had potential. Who knows what might have happened if he had stuck with the music?

To my ears, All Members isn't a bad record, but it's not really a good one either.

My thoughts exactly.

My thoughts exactly.

Come on, look how he's working that cravat! You can tell it's a good record.

Interesting that All Members was chosen as the title tune, since a glance at the cover shows that they patently aren't ...

• 3 years later...