Mosaic service

I managed to snap one of the discs of The Complete 1932-1940 Brunswick, Columbia, and Master
Recordings Ellington set. Had just received it and was in the process of ripping the discs to my computer as per my ritual... i had been looking forward to the arrival of the set for a while, had saved up and gotten myself all hyped up... i don't have many Mosaic sets so it was pretty momentus for me... to go from the joy of having the package arrive at my home to that moment where i was unbelievably holding a snapped disc in my hand = shit. The customer service that followed was excellent.

Isn't the technique to push down on the centre rather than tug on the edges of the disk? Trying to remember how I do it. Carefully...

That doesn't work on the double hubs - the ones where the single hub holds two CDs together. I had one Mosaic CD crack because of those double CD cases. I was so careful too but *crack*, and that was it.

BTW, since that day, I usually shave off some of the "hook" that holds the CDs to the hub. I use an Exacto blade and shave off enough that I can easily pull the CDs off the hub.

I've also swapped out the Mosaic cases for different ones. They use the worst kind.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

I *has* to work. Putting strain on CDs by bending them will not do them any good. Just put your thumb in the middle and push, while holding the tray (get it out if anything's tight, it may help even if you want to get out the disc on top) with the other hand. Has worked for me without any accidents so far, knock on wood!

I don't know man... with this particular style of tray/teeth pushing down in the middle didn't seem to fulfill any sort of 'release' function; it just hurt my fingers as the teeth are sharp and sticking straight up. It wasn't like "la di da di da lets rip this sucker out... SNAP!"... i was wrestling as delicately as possible with the CD for a while. Was actually quite surprised at the time as i didn't seem to be exerting the amount of force it would require to snap the disc... i was very, very conscious of not wanting to do the CD any damage while taking it out. Any amount of rotating it back and forth can't be ideal for the disc... I would say Mosaic has possibly opted for the lesser of two evils in that if the disc was relatively easy to get out it you would probably get a lot of discs coming loose in shipping.

They don't always use the same one. I did a quick survey of more recent sets and found different types in each of three sets. Only one had the hook-over design. What I *did* notice - and these are all open and played disks - is that far from being stiff all three kinds actually work very well. It's just that first heave...

Isn't the technique to push down on the centre rather than tug on the edges of the disk? Trying to remember how I do it. Carefully...

That doesn't work on the double hubs - the ones where the single hub holds two CDs together. I had one Mosaic CD crack because of those double CD cases. I was so careful too but *crack*, and that was it.

BTW, since that day, I usually shave off some of the "hook" that holds the CDs to the hub. I use an Exacto blade and shave off enough that I can easily pull the CDs off the hub.

I've also swapped out the Mosaic cases for different ones. They use the worst kind.

I recalled this thread when dealing with the Ellington Brunswick/Columbia set this evening (and this is a fairly recent set). The double cases are so atrocious. I'm ripping everything now and probably won't ever take the CDs out of the cases again, since it is so clear the hooks might snap the CDs. I really don't know why they ever got this style of case in the first place.

Edited by ejp626

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I ordered Oliver Nelson, I got Woody Herman. Waiter?!?!

Email sent, resolution expected, but damn, it's gonna be a pain in the ass to get that fucker back in the mail, and I'm thinking they'll get me my Nelson first, right?

Jim, as I've been whining on another thread, I had the same issue (ordered Mingus, got Condon/Freeman 8 days ago). Scott's reply to my e-mail implied they'd send out the correct box without waiting to receive the return. I'm confident things'll get worked out, but it's taking longer than expected (I'm in NY, not far from Mosaic, and expected to have gotten the correction by now). Maybe there have been a lot of mis-shipments?

Edited by T.D.

I wonder where the error began. Was it put on the shelf in the wrong place from the beginning? Did they have it laid out right and then take a break and come back high? Bottom line, my packing slip and box say totally different thins, how many places of wrong did that live before it got here?

Had the same, a few months ago - got the Armstrong, wanted the Condon/Freeman - they made up and as it was trans-Atlantic, I didn't have to return the Armstrong, which was mighty generous of them ...  I donated it to the Swiss Jazz Museum as I already have my copy of it and would have felt like a cheap whore had I sold it on :)

I wonder where the error began. Was it put on the shelf in the wrong place from the beginning? Did they have it laid out right and then take a break and come back high? Bottom line, my packing slip and box say totally different thins, how many places of wrong did that live before it got here?

+1

Quite puzzling: my packing slip showing "Mingus" was placed face-up, unfolded and fully legible, right on top of the box whose "Condon/Freeman" was clearly legible through the bubble wrap. Not very attentive work by the packing dept...