If You Knew Exactly When You Were Going To Die...

JSngry

• October 31, 1967: Andrew Hill (leader), with Woody Shaw, Robin Kenyatta, Sam Rivers, Howard Johnson, Herbie Lewis, Teddy Robinson

5 tracks

Since it's never been released before. :g

Woody Shaw and Sam Rivers -- together!!!

Hmmmmmmm............. Could have been very interesting. :w

That, or maybe Tryone Washington's "Trainwreck"...

Jim, great question!

At first I was going to say the Trainwreck (since I'm so curious, but Rooster Ties beat me too it).

Then I was thinking some Andrew Hill sessions would be great, maybe Point of Departure.

Then I was thinking about maybe a big session like Lee Morgan's Search For the New Land.

Then I was thinking about the obvious sessions, such as Coltrane, Monk, Davis, Blakey.

but in the end...

My choice would be a Bud Powell session. It doesn't even matter which one. I would be thrilled to hear him recording those wonderful albums. I probably should go with one of his early sessions because he was in great form, though I've been having a love affair with the Scene Changes lately and could go for that.

So....

Bud Powell - The Scene Changes

:rsmile:

Edit: I know this sounds morbid, but if I had to leave this planet during one song, it would be during the recording of Donald Byrd's Christo Redentor. :D

Edited by AfricaBrass

I thought I had died and gone to heaven the first time I heard "Dindi" from SUPERNOVA. Such an intense moment.

If I had a choice, I would choose "Gazzelloni" from OUT TO LUNCH! or "Memory" from Anthony Williams LIFETIME.

Hey, maybe Rooster can compile a list of tunes and we can start a compilation called MUSIC TO DIE TO. (no appropriate smilie)

Christmas eve. 1964. At the end of Herbie's solo on 'Infant Eyes'. I could expire to the perfect eulogy.

Now, if you could be conceived during any classic session, which one would that be? Remember there has to be a female present, even if it's the char lady. ;)

Okay, maybe I'm being too logical about this but... if you chose the LAST (i.e. most recent) RVG session for BN, that would mean you would have lived long enough to at least hear all of them (if not attend them). So, if you chose that 1953 Gil Melle session (or whatever RVG's first session was), then you would be SIX FEET UNDER before 99.993% of all of his classic sessions had been recorded.

Elementary, my dear Watson.

Wouldn't you dying in the middle of a BN session kind of, ah, ruin the session? :rolleyes:

The Story of Blue Note: "The wierdest session was when some stranger suddenly appeared in Rudy's living room, then keeled over with a big silly grin on his face! It freaked everybody out."

Edited by BruceH

Eric Dolphy Out to Lunch or Grachan Moncur Evolution. Either one. It's a toss up.

EDIT: No. Actually, it would be Moncur's Some Other Stuff so I could ask Herbie where he got the idea to play those modernist riffs on "Gnostic". I've always been intrigued by that. July 1964 was pre-Steve Reich and pre-Philip Glass. (They weren't composing for traditional instruments like that yet, anyway.) I still don't know where he got those counter-time 8th-note and 16th-note repetitions riffs from. Next time you see him at the Bose store, ask him for me. ^_^

Edited by Brandon Burke

Surely if you died in the middle of the session then the session would be cancelled or at least delayed. You might well ruin the very music you wanted to die to, lose it for all posterity.

But you'd be dead so you wouldn't worry.

Unless there's a heaven and you could listen from there.

But I was always taught in my catechism lessons that in heaven all you'd want to do is gaze at God.

I'm lost!

Edited by Bev Stapleton

The first session that came to mind is Jackie McLean's DESTINATION OUT! session. For me, it's a session where everything went perfectly. However, I decided long ago that I want to die peacefully - my life has generally been very hectic. So with that in mind, I choose:

Grant Green - STREET OF DREAMS

It's very peaceful and laid back. The music clicks, the musicians interacted beautifully with each other, and there is, for me, a very intimate feeling to this session. I'd just lay down, cross my arms and listen to the last few bars of "Somewhere in the Night," and then die a very happy man.