Great Finds

desertblues

Time to chime in with some recent finds:

"Daddy Plays The Horn" Dexter Gordon - the original on Bethlehem deep groove laurel-leaves label (cover is vg++, record is at least vg++)! Paid a hundred bucks for this, but I consider that a very good deal!

"Life Is Just A Bowl Of Cherries" Howard McGhee - original Bethlehem pressing like the above, but this one is stone mint-, cover & vinyl. Paid $25, a steal.

"House Warmin'" another by Howard McGhee (and the mysterious Blazers-anyone know who they were?)-an absolutely nm-condition blue label Argo first pressing for $20!

:D

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up a few gems over the weekends (not necessarily bargains but not too bad either).

'Webster Young Plays and Sings The Music of Miles Davis' Vols 1 to 3 on VGM records, in near mint

The Danny Richmond 'Music For The In-Crowd' original LP on Impulse.

Rolf and Joachim Kuhn's 'Impressions of New York' LP on Impulse

A Mobley 'Reach Out' original Liberty pressing in mint

A Horace Silver 'Finger Poppin'' 47th/63rd deep groove original

A Bud Shank/Bob Brookmeyer with strings 10" on Vogue (UK original of the rare Pacific Jazz session)

And a few Pink Floyd original pressings on EMI/Columbia. Not a bad haul !

Edited by sidewinder

Ever since I decided some time at the start of this current year that I would not buy any more vinyls for lack of space, I kept the promise. But in the last month, I have repeatedly gone back on this promise and added several items when I was in New York earlier this month.

And today I have reneged once more. There was this guy who had advertised a private sale of vinyls, mostly classics but also some jazz. And I have sinned once more.

Among the items I purchased (prices ranging from €1 to €15):

- Duke Ellington 'The Washington, D.C., Armory Concert April 30, 1955' (Phontastic), a €1 item,

- Friedrich Gulda 'Vienna Jazz Workshop' (Guilde du Jazz). Lot of Hans Koller solos, plus Gulda playing baritone sax on side A,

- Ken McIntyre 'Home' (SteepleChase),

- Paul Bley & Jesper Lundgaard 'Live' (SteepleChase),

- Aaron Bell Trio 'Three Swinging Bells', with pianist Charlie Bateman (Herald),

- Frank Wright 'Eddie's Back In Town' (Krona),

- Dizzy Reece with John Gilmore 'In To Out' (Futura)

all in mint condition except the Aaron Bell Herald vinyl which has some minor scratches and the Reece/Gilmore whose cover was a bit stained but the vinyl is mint. Ihad been looking for a good copy of that one for several years.

The Reece/Gilmore was part of more expensive items which included original BNs that I already have.

Among other jazz items on sale was a full set of the five Bud Powell 'At the Golden Circle' SteepleChase. €25 (about $32) for the lot but I had no use for a second set!

Picked up Louis Armstrong "Plays W.C Handy" LP, red 6 eye Columbia label with 1B and 2A ending the stamper numbers. I'm not entirely sure what these mean but the whole Lp is amazingly clean and the cover unmarked ( not even yellowed or worn at the corners. vinyl is silent, Not bad for £3.

Anyone know what the stamper nos mean?

This means if you have a very early pressing, probably the first one of that edition.

My stereo vinyl 6-eye copy of Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue' has 1BC on side 1 and 1AJ on side 2 after the stamper numbers. One of the original pressings if the not THE original.

Columbia and RCA used these identifications to differentiate the pressing cycles. Several other large labels used these stamper identifications.

Lately, I spent more times on Ebay searching rock record, usually US first pressing of classic like Lou Reed, Dylan, Byrds, ecc.. The great finds consist in prices, infact due to the euro/dollar rate is getting chaper to buy an Lp in US, even added the shipping it is well under the average price of Italy!! B-)

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the local used book and record store here in dallas last night and found 3 deals

One: Nina Simone (bethlehem BCP6028) "Little Girl Blue" for $6.

The jacket is whipped, and the vinyl has some surface noise. Oh well.

Two: Jim Hall's Horizon release (Commitment) for $4.

I wish that label had stayed around; I really appreciate the detail and quality of their releases.

Lastly: "Cozy's Caravan" on Felsted (American Jazz Series FAJ 7002) for $6

(Earl Hines Quartet on side A. Cozy Cole's Septet on the other)

Earl is w/ Curtis Lowe (tnr / bari sax), Charles Oden (bs) and Earl Watkins (drs)

Cozy is w/ Lou Jones (tpt), Phatz Morris (tbn and harmonica), Boe McCain (tnr sax), June Cole (pno), Dicky Thompson (gtr) and Pete Compo (bs).

(Gotta love that name "Phatz")

Two today:

"Dinah '63" Dinah Washington

This has amazing versions of I Wanna Be Around and What Kind Of Fool Am I?

Gone too soon. One of my favourite pairings was Dinah with the fabulous Brook Benton.

"And I Love You So" Shirley Bassey

Her version of First Time Ever I Saw Your Face rivals Roberta Flack's. Very nice. And this album also has All The Sad Young Men, as well as a fabulous take on Without You, which is one of two which always make me sad. The other is You Don't Know What Love Is, no matter who sings it.

Always loved Bassey's voice, ever since I heard her sing the title song for "Goldfinger".

The condition of the records is OK, though they do show some wear. I console myself by assuming that the reason is that the former owner played them.

What ticks me is when I find a rare album which seems to have been used for a coaster, or just thrown on the floor. I've cleaned dried food off records, more than once. :wacko: A pox on those who don't treat vinyl with reverance.

Edited by patricia

Today's haul:

Mills Brothers - Famous Barber Shop Ballads [10" LP with great notes about the brother's bios on the back of the cover. I would guess that this was recorded in the late fifties or early sixties.

Fever & Smoke - The Three Suns

Shirley Bassey Sings the Hit Song From Oliver [plus jazz standards] Nice collection.

Edgar Allan Poe Read By David Kurlan

30 Smash Hits Of The War Years [Odd little collection, recorded in 1975 at the Guards Chapel in Chelsea Barracks, London]

Liona - A collection of classical Spanish guitar selections. Liona Boyd is a superb Canadian classical guitarist who specializes in flamenco. Love this!

Carmen McRae - Live At Sugar Hill, San Francisco. This is a collection of jazz standards.

McRae is backed by Stewart Martin on drums, Norman Simmons on piano and Victor Sproles on bass. Love this woman's voice!

Johnny Mathis Sings The Music of Bacharach & Kaempfert. [two record set]

Bill King - A Dixie Peach

Chuck Magione - Children Of Sanchez

Two record set of Magione's compositions for the Hall Bartlett film, "The Children Of Sanchez".

All, except the Mills Brothers in near-mint condition. The happy-making thing is that these were $1 per record, so the two record sets were $2 and the singles $1 each.

Edited by patricia

I keep meaning to shop for other people for Christmas, but my feet keep straying.;)

Today:

Al Jolson, The Early Years - Nice copy from the personal collection of Milt "Vandeville" Encores. Jolson was not just "Mammy".:) Not perfect, but quite playable.

Rick Wakeman - The Six Wives Of Henry The Eighth

Barry White - Just Another Way To Say I Love You - That voice!!!

Simon And Garfunkle The Concert In Central Park [two record set].

Ray Stevens Shriner's Convention [hey, I like to laugh when I'm not solving all the world's problems. ;)]

And, I saved the best for last - The Edith Piaf Deluxe Set

This was a Capitol release on three records. It''s a boxed set, in MINT condition. I always think that these are bought by people who never take them out of their box, after the first listening. They may not even listen to all of them. Philistines!! In any case, it's beautiful.

My late mother saw Piaf perform, many times, in Paris and was enchanted by her voice. No surprise there.

Elaine Paige does a very credible impression of Piaf's style these days, but there was only one Edith Piaf.

Some years ago, my youngest daughter, who was about fourteen at the time, discovered Piaf on her own, which pleased me.

It was strange to see her Piaf CD's among the boy bands and hip-hop artists.

Edited by patricia

You should have snapped it up, Sidewinder.:D

I listened to it the other day, as well as "The Pit And The Pendulum", read by David Kurlan. Every once in a while I like to listen to narrative discs, much the same way that I like audio tapes when I travel. I had forgotten that narratives existed before audio tapes. Who pays attention? :blink:

I don't know if this counts as a find, since I can't truly keep it, but the Chicago library has a pretty decent collection of Mosaics. If they had two copies, then one might circulate, and the other is in reference. In the circulating library, they have the 3 LP set of Art Pepper Small Group Recordings on Pacific. It is actually in pretty decent shape, and I am making a CDR backup now.