Gil Melle - Complete Blue Note 50's Sessions

Just received my copy. Haven't opened it yet, because I'm not sure if I want to keep it.

Front cover image looks clean, not like a cheap xerox or anything. Has the black connoisseur series band on the left.

Above the bar code in microscopic print, it says "Manufactured by CreateSpace, Scotts Valley, CA."

I'm thinking of sending it back because I didn't realize it was a CD-R at first. It's fine that Amazon sells these, but CD-R should be specified in the format, IMHO.

What do think I should do?

Do you want to hear the music contained within? If so, open it up and enjoy it! How else can you get this music unless you pay an outrageous price for it? I'd give them the benefit of a doubt and guess that the sound quality is OK. I can't even hear any appreciable difference between store-bought CDs and the ones I burn on my Dell desk-top. The product description noted that this was a CD-R product so Amazon is being up front. I'd like to hear from someone who has bought and listened to the disc. I'm betting it's just fine.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The product description noted that this was a CD-R product so Amazon is being up front.

When I ordered my copy, that detail was in small print further down. The format stated "CD." Not knowing they ever sold CD-Rs, I took "CD" literally. I think they should state "CD-R" on the format if they sell these.

But yeah, I'm tempted to give it a spin.

Got my copy. Booklet and tray liner/back notes look pretty darn good. Heavy stock, clean images. Probably done on a high-end ink jet. Doesn't smack of homemade. Discs have nice label - definitely CD-R. No problem reading the discs at the office. Sound quality is decent. Not using my best gear and currently playing at low-levels. But no reason to send it back.

I'll post some pictures when I get home.

Got my copy. Booklet and tray liner/back notes look pretty darn good. Heavy stock, clean images. Probably done on a high-end ink jet. Doesn't smack of homemade. Discs have nice label - definitely CD-R. No problem reading the discs at the office. Sound quality is decent. Not using my best gear and currently playing at low-levels. But no reason to send it back.

No reason the sound shouldn't be as good/bad as the original CD. Unless someone really screws it up, they should be bit-identical.

How do you know they didn't go from CD --> MP3 --> CD (not being argumentative--just curious)?

No reason the sound shouldn't be as good/bad as the original CD. Unless someone really screws it up, they should be bit-identical.

True. The fear that these might have come from an original CD ripped to MP3 and then written to a CD-R is not the case.

Edited by Peter Johnson

Sound is indeed not the problem (at least not initially). Longevity is. 25-year-old CDs still play fine, unless there was a manufacturing error, but CD-Rs can go bad in a few years.

By the way, I think this will be a problem at Amazon marketplace and eBay from now on. A buyer may think he will get the original CD release, and then when he opens it, it turns out to be the CD-R version.

How do you know they didn't go from CD --> MP3 --> CD (not being argumentative--just curious)?

True. The fear that these might have come from an original CD ripped to MP3 and then written to a CD-R is not the case.

Why might they do this? It doesn't make sense.

Sound is indeed not the problem (at least not initially). Longevity is. 25-year-old CDs still play fine, unless there was a manufacturing error, but CD-Rs can go bad in a few years.

By the way, I think this will be a problem at Amazon marketplace and eBay from now on. A buyer may think he will get the original CD release, and then when he opens it, it turns out to be the CD-R version.

I was just wondering what that really means. Does that mean that it can go bad in a few years with constant regular play or it can go bad in a few years regardless? Does it "go bad" from playing? If you only played it two or three times a year, wouldn't it conceivably last decades? I'm really curious about what the difference might be between a CD-R and a regular CD issue as far as longevity is concerned.

I was just wondering what that really means. Does that mean that it can go bad in a few years with constant regular play or it can go bad in a few years regardless? Does it "go bad" from playing? If you only played it two or three times a year, wouldn't it conceivably last decades? I'm really curious about what the difference might be between a CD-R and a regular CD issue as far as longevity is concerned.

I may be wrong but I believe it is not related to being played or not. Consumer CDRs protect the 0s and 1s less effectively, supposedly, than manufactured CDs, and therefore may cease to be readable by your CD player.

On the other hand, on the very rare occasions that this has happened to me, I have always been able to use my audio software to extract the audio files to WAV files and re-burn the CD.

I don't know for sure either, but my instinct is that it means "regardless." That is, the CD-R shelf-life is relatively limited regardless of how much or little it is played. Expert opinion would be welcome, however.

Sounds like it's a decent package.

I don't know for sure either, but my instinct is that it means "regardless." That is, the CD-R shelf-life is relatively limited regardless of how much or little it is played. Expert opinion would be welcome, however.

No expert here, but I'm under the impression that the life span depends on temperature, light and other environmental factors.

Edited by Daniel A

I've played enough CD --> MP3 --> CDs to recognize the low bit-rate examples of this type of conversion and subjectively these discs did not exhibit similar characteristics.

Anyone wanting to determine if something is from mp3 sources should download (free) Tau Analyzer. It's remarkably accurate.

Interesting tool. I might just give it a shot.

Why might they do this? It doesn't make sense.

CD --> MP3 --> CD is exactly the type of thing a "fly-by-night", low budget, scam artist type of operation might employ. <sincere>respectable businessmen like yourself wouldn't consider doing business like this. so I am not surprised it didn't make sense to you. wish there were more like you.</sincere>

Please note: lack of <sincere> tags around future posts does not mean I'm not. ;) I just felt it was important to stress my true meaning.

CD --> MP3 --> CD is exactly the type of thing a "fly-by-night", low budget, scam artist type of operation might employ. <sincere>respectable businessmen like yourself wouldn't consider doing business like this. so I am not surprised it didn't make sense to you. wish there were more like you.</sincere>

Please note: lack of <sincere> tags around future posts does not mean I'm not. ;) I just felt it was important to stress my true meaning.

Let me try this.

<sincere>Conn's a dick!</sincere>

Hey, that felt good!!

It looks like my original copy. It's possible that Blue Note had extra packaging (booklet, tray cards), and that's why they chose this title to issue.

I found it significant that Amazon listed the label as Blue Note. That says to me that they're standing behind the quality of the product.