Bill Evans, Turn out the Stars, Best Buy $13.99

jazzbo

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bixieland

Order placed. Thanks Lon!!!!!!

To those who've received there's -- any thoughts on the SQ? As others have hinted, is it identical to the 1996 release?

Order placed. Thanks Lon!!!!!!

To those who've received there's -- any thoughts on the SQ? As others have hinted, is it identical to the 1996 release?

Listening to it right now, sounds great to me. May be identical to '96 (I never heard the old one), but they were able to do a fine sounding CD by 1996, came a long way from the 80's and early 90's. Incredible bargain even at the correct price, let alone at $13.99, and nice packaging. Maybe Nonesuch can buy the Fantasy catalog from Concord and do it right :-).

Guest Bixieland

Yeah they did achieve good sound by the mid 90s. Even, not harsh and nicely balanced. Not wildly dynamic -- but true.

Nonesuch does a pretty good job -- kind of like a minor league Rhino. Regarding Fantasy...I felt they did a real nice job on the Coltrane boxes (Fearless Leader, Interplay). Two boxes I've decided I'm "takin' with me!" :)

Yeah they did achieve good sound by the mid 90s. Even, not harsh and nicely balanced. Not wildly dynamic -- but true.

Nonesuch does a pretty good job -- kind of like a minor league Rhino. Regarding Fantasy...I felt they did a real nice job on the Coltrane boxes (Fearless Leader, Interplay). Two boxes I've decided I'm "takin' with me!" :)

Agreed. Fantasy was doing great stuff at the time of the sale, and Concord put out what was in the pipeline, but then pulled the plug and went to slop. A pity we never got the third Coltrane Prestige box to finish the set.

Since this product seems to be moving pretty well, will the industry Evans-watchers take note and decide to reissue the Verve collection in something other than the clunky rust box? :crazy:

I'd even be willing to spring for the cost of a can of Rustoleum if they did reissue it in the rust box. :rolleyes:

Since this product seems to be moving pretty well, will the industry Evans-watchers take note and decide to reissue the Verve collection in something other than the clunky rust box? :crazy:

I'd even be willing to spring for the cost of a can of Rustoleum if they did reissue it in the rust box. :rolleyes:

Feel free to make me an offer on mine - nice music but I HATE the packaging! I'd rather just gather/wait on the individual session issues.

Guest Bixieland

Agreed. Fantasy was doing great stuff at the time of the sale, and Concord put out what was in the pipeline, but then pulled the plug and went to slop. A pity we never got the third Coltrane Prestige box to finish the set.

AH! I was wondering what happened to the third box! I could have sworn I read there was to be a third...and then the trail went cold. Real cold...I couldn't even find where I thought I read about it. I was beginning to think it was something I imagined.

By the way...what was to be in it? Fearless Leader was his solo lead sessions, Interplay his sideman role...what else is there?

AH! I was wondering what happened to the third box! I could have sworn I read there was to be a third...and then the trail went cold. Real cold...I couldn't even find where I thought I read about it. I was beginning to think it was something I imagined.

By the way...what was to be in it? Fearless Leader was his solo lead sessions, Interplay his sideman role...what else is there?

Interplay was the co-led dates, the third would have been the sideman dates (Red Garland, Mal Waldron, Elmo Hope, Gene Ammons...).

I'd have loved to see it happen, too!

Guest Bixieland

Interplay was the co-led dates, the third would have been the sideman dates (Red Garland, Mal Waldron, Elmo Hope, Gene Ammons...).

Oh, that makes sense. Yeah...I really LOVE the first two. Excellent sound, great books (interplay had annoying cd holders) but overall extremely attractive sets.

So there's no chance of the third set???

If you don't see an announcement soon (for the Christmas market), I'd say forget it. Same for the next Prestige Miles box - I know the notes were written 2 years ago.

quoting chuck nessa who has mostly been right with this type of stuff... (from last year)

Oh, that makes sense. Yeah...I really LOVE the first two. Excellent sound, great books (interplay had annoying cd holders) but overall extremely attractive sets.

So there's no chance of the third set???

I could have sworn the third set was coming later this year. I mean, I even recall seeing art and a title and everything. Maybe I'm hallucinating or it's just wishful thinking.

I'm kind of surprised our European public domain friends haven't filled this void yet. I'll have to admit, if Concord didn't and some else did, I'd buy.

Alas, I ordered this 10 days ago from Best Buy, immediately got a "Back Ordered" notice....and then received a second "Back Ordered" e-mail yesterday. In that second e-mail, they used language encouraging me to call to discuss alternatives, including cancelling my order. I'm hopeful this isn't their way of telling me it's never coming, but I'm not particularly optimistic on that count.

I must be out in left field on this one, but it's not high on my list of Bill Evans favs. It feels too rushed to me, maybe too many ideas but not enough execution (plus, I skip Nardis most of the time :blush: ). That's not to say it's not at a high level musically, but it just doesn't hit me, and I find that I rarely listen to this, my least favorite Evans box set.

Alas, I ordered this 10 days ago from Best Buy, immediately got a "Back Ordered" notice....and then received a second "Back Ordered" e-mail yesterday. In that second e-mail, they used language encouraging me to call to discuss alternatives, including cancelling my order. I'm hopeful this isn't their way of telling me it's never coming, but I'm not particularly optimistic on that count.

I'm in exactly the same situation.

I'm going to wait a little longer.

I'm in exactly the same situation.

I'm going to wait a little longer.

Same here but happy to wait it out since its such a great deal. If doesn't happen so be it. I can grab it for 40 if I decide I can't live without it. Still a good deal since it use to go for 100.