new box set on Oscar Peterson Songbooks???

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. . . . Just because it's on Verve and Cuscuna may have been involved (I'd say may not have been involved), doesn't mean that duplication is unlikely per se.

That said, there's nothing on the Verve website about this. Seems to be an import? Weird.

Edited by jazzbo

It's possible that this could be the complete Songbooks from 1959 in Originals-style packaging, like the Coltrane and Getz Bossa Nova sets:

Oscar Peterson Plays The Duke Ellington Song Book

Oscar Peterson Plays The George Gershwin Song Book

Oscar Peterson Plays The Richard Rodgers Song Book

Oscar Peterson Plays The Jerome Kern Song Book

Oscar Peterson Plays The Cole Porter Song Book

Oscar Peterson Plays The Harry Warren Song Book

Oscar Peterson Plays The Irving Berlin Song Book

Oscar Peterson Plays The Harold Arlen Song Book

Oscar Peterson Plays The Jimmy McHugh Song Book

Some reasons for thinking it's this rather than the 1951/2 sessions on the Mosaic:

1) Verve is reissuing Peterson's The Jerome Kern Songbook in the Originals series the week before

2) The 1951/2 albums were called Oscar Peterson Plays Cole Porter, etc. No use of the term "songbook"

3) Although Amazon has it as an import, meaning it could be just another European PD release of the 1951/2 sessions, both Tower and CD Universe have Verve (US)

So I'm cautiously optimistic. Good spot, tranemonk!

I'm hoping you're right... At less than $40 this would be quite the coup...

if it is this... It would be VERY COOL... to have nearly all the OP from 1951-53!!!!!!

It's possible that this could be the complete Songbooks from 1959 in Originals-style packaging, like the Coltrane and Getz Bossa Nova sets:

Some reasons for thinking it's this rather than the 1951/2 sessions on the Mosaic:

1) Verve is reissuing Peterson's The Jerome Kern Songbook in the Originals series the week before

2) The 1951/2 albums were called Oscar Peterson Plays Cole Porter, etc. No use of the term "songbook"

3) Although Amazon has it as an import, meaning it could be just another European PD release of the 1951/2 sessions, both Tower and CD Universe have Verve (US)

It seems strange that it lists this title as one disc....

I'm hoping you're right... At less than $40 this would be quite the coup...

if it is this... It would be VERY COOL... to have nearly all the OP from 1951-53!!!!!!

I'm thinking that Cuscuna was involved since the Mosaic set came out recently... In digging through the vaults he must have known that this other material was there (and presumably in good condition).... so that's why I'm thinking there's probably little if any (I HOPE) duplication between the upcoming set and the Mosaic...

I wonder how many CD's it will be??? My guess is probably 5.. maybe 4???

Wonder if there'll be any previously unissued stuff????

if it's "Originals" it will be as many discs as there are albums... no packaging other than a box around the individual discs, I guess... still not sure if I need to get the Mosaic or not... but I suppose eventually I will...

I think this is way too cheap to be all the originals in Originals packaging.

Mysterious. We'll see I guess.

Still don't think Cuscuna had anything to do with this. Would like to be wrong, but it's been a long time since he had any involvment with a Verve set.

okay... I'm sure I'm going to get slammed by someone... :unsure: :unsure: but I ordered my set blind...

Tower had a ridiculous price... and I figure if it is useless... I'll just send it back....

Whatever it is ... it will be out Tuesday... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I've got my fingers crossed.... :excited: :excited:

okay... I'm sure I'm going to get slammed by someone... :unsure: :unsure: but I ordered my set blind...

Tower had a ridiculous price... and I figure if it is useless... I'll just send it back....

Whatever it is ... it will be out Tuesday... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I've got my fingers crossed.... :excited: :excited:

Here's what you're getting (I googled "Oscar Peterson," "The Songbooks," Verve, and the UPC code from the Tower page):

http://www.grigorian.com/webstore/view.php?iid=353291

5 discs--a Canadian release by Verve. Looks like a great deal! :tup

Edited by Ron S

I could kiss you Ron... :) (figuratively....) :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

I'm assuming this is the best case scenario... with none of this duplicating the Mosaic... ?

Here's what you're getting (I googled "Oscar Peterson," "The Songbooks," Verve, and the UPC code from the Tower page):

http://www.grigorian.com/webstore/view.php?iid=353291

5 discs--a Canadian release by Verve. Looks like a great deal! :tup