TOCJ "Works" CDs- Which ones are hardest to find?

riverrat

I'm curious which of the CDs in this well-regarded reissue series have proven to be the hardest to find. I do not know exactly when they were last reissued, but it appears to have been awhile.

I can personally say that Jackie McLean "Demon's Dance" (TOCJ-4345) has been un-findable in my experience. Can't say I've ever seen a copy available at any price.

Which other titles seem to be rare in this series?

Edited by riverrat

Don't know, depends on your luck.

Based on the ones I have, I have not seen a slew of Horace Parlan's floating around. I picked up Us Three and On the Spur of the Moment for about $15 a piece back in 1990 (not really knowing who Horace was at the time) and took a chance. On the Spur...is now one of my favs.

Haha! The answer to this is easy my friends, Trane's ' Blue Trane'. Impossible to find the TOCJ BN Works version, I've never seen a copy in Tokyo.

In the last few years I found several copies of the "Blue Note Works" version of Blue Train on-line, for prices varying from 1,200 to 2,500 yen.

I can't say which are the hardest as I haven't been seeking this series out. I enjoy the ones I have, but actually prefer other masterings. I dare to be different. ;)

same here. i have SOME of them, but i've heard them in other incarnations. some i prefer. some of them started appearing as RVGs some years back. so...

I'm curious which of the CDs in this well-regarded reissue series have proven to be the hardest to find. I do not know exactly when they were last reissued, but it appears to have been awhile.

Does anybody know how many times the BN catalog has been reissued out of Japan in the form of jewel-cased CD's? (I'm specifying only because I never went in for the mini-LP's myself). I've even lost track of how many times the term "BN Works" has been used. Back when I started buying Japanese discs, I also bought a few from the BN "CD Treasury" series, which had a blue and yellow OBI, and a different prefix and numbering system (CJ28-5XXX instead of "TOCJ"). I guess those weren't by Toshiba...? Those seem like they would be relatively hard to find now... although I have no idea of they're desirable.

Does anybody know how many times the BN catalog has been reissued out of Japan in the form of jewel-cased CD's? (I'm specifying only because I never went in for the mini-LP's myself). I've even lost track of how many times the term "BN Works" has been used. Back when I started buying Japanese discs, I also bought a few from the BN "CD Treasury" series, which had a blue and yellow OBI, and a different prefix and numbering system (CJ28-5XXX instead of "TOCJ"). I guess those weren't by Toshiba...? Those seem like they would be relatively hard to find now... although I have no idea of they're desirable.

That's a good question. To complicate matters, there is the newer "TOCJ24" series, which seem to be different remasters than either the CJ28-5XXX series you mention or the TOCJ Works series. And now there is the upcoming budget priced TOCJ-8XXX series. It's still unclear whether those will be rebadged Works remasters, JRVGs in jewel cases, TOCJ24s or yet another different remaster.

Regarding the desirability of the CJ28-5XXX discs, it is interesting that there's strong demand for early CD pressings of many titles, including jazz, over on the Steve Hoffman forum, especially first CD pressings. You might be surprised how much money some early pressings go for there. Some of this seems to be that early some CDs were not pressed in large numbers are becoming more "collectible" as the CD era wanes. There's also the perception, probably accurate, that early CDs were made to a higher standard, especially ones made in Japan and Germany where all early CDs were made before there were pressing plants in the USA.

But part of this demand, maybe most of it, is related to dislike of newer re-remasters in a style with lots of compression and loudness added. There are a lot of people there with nice audio systems who strongly prefer the earlier remasters which they say closer approximate the original sessions tapes and/or vinyl. My understanding is that the newer remasters are intended to sound better on MP3 players and the like. Probably the same reason many people don't like the RVG Blue Note series. For me, the jury is still out- some of these remasters don't sound better or worse, just different. But as my audio system has improved, I'm starting to come around to liking the earlier remasters myself. And the TOCJ Works versions are usually the best to my ears, when I've had the chance to compare.

Edited by riverrat

Hi!

I like the BN Works series myself. They are "straight" transfers with no compression added or narrowing of the soundfield as early RVG editions have. The McMaster are (early US Blue Notes) are often sounding thin in the bass whereas the BN Works get the balance right most of the time.

The hardest BN Works (4000-series) I've looked for years for is the Hank Mobley "Soul station". I finally got it from eBay for $30 ;-)

/Shaft

Based on the ones I have, I have not seen a slew of Horace Parlan's floating around. I picked up Us Three and On the Spur of the Moment for about $15 a piece back in 1990 (not really knowing who Horace was at the time) and took a chance. On the Spur...is now one of my favs.

In the case of Horace, the Mosaic remastering is very good. So good that I never bothered to search out any of the TOCJs. Very tasty music.

In the case of Horace, the Mosaic remastering is very good. So good that I never bothered to search out any of the TOCJs. Very tasty music.

Oh yeah, the Turrentine brothers made a terrific frontline. I wish they would've recorded a lot more together.

Surprisingly, at least to me, is how hard it is to find a reasonably priced copy of Wayne Shorter Speak No Evil TOCJ-4194. This must have been a popular title each time it was reissued in this series, so why is it so hard to find?

And then there's the whole TOCJ-16XX series, most of which are rare, except for maybe Tina Brooks Minor Move TOCJ-1616.

Some Three Sounds TOCJs don't pop up that often seem to fetch high $$.

How about the TOCJ (4142) of Blue Mitchell's Step Lightly? I dare you to find me a copy of that I can afford..

Surprisingly, at least to me, is how hard it is to find a reasonably priced copy of Wayne Shorter Speak No Evil TOCJ-4194. This must have been a popular title each time it was reissued in this series, so why is it so hard to find?

And then there's the whole TOCJ-16XX series, most of which are rare, except for maybe Tina Brooks Minor Move TOCJ-1616.

How about the TOCJ (4142) of Blue Mitchell's Step Lightly? I dare you to find me a copy of that I can afford..

Oh yeah, the 1600 series are as rare as hen's teeth. Nabbed a couple of them back in the day, which I think have seen domestic reissue. I have Sonny Clark's Blues in the Night, Herbie Nichols' Vol. Two and Sonny Rollins' Village Vanguards Vols Two and Three.

Oh yeah, the 1600 series are as rare as hen's teeth. Nabbed a couple of them back in the day, which I think have seen domestic reissue. I have Sonny Clark's Blues in the Night, Herbie Nichols' Vol. Two and Sonny Rollins' Village Vanguards Vols Two and Three.

I think I have a Burrell, a couple of Mobley's, and a few Jimmy Smith's.

• 2 weeks later...

The CD Treasury Series appears to be the first Japan CD issues of the Blue Note catalog. THIS SITE has most of the various reissues and dates of issue.

The "Jazz With Attitude" series that consisted of only 5 titles seems to be pretty rare- maybe they shut that series down in order to start the BN Works series.