Who are you just discovering?

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evan Parker, except by investing in a copy of Nailed, instead I ended up expanding my Cecil Taylor collection with several discs that do not feature Parker. Some of the Evan Parkers that were recommended are still on my wish list, though.

Edited by erwbol

Herbie Nichols!

I've had the 3 disc Blue Note set for years, but i always found it a tedious chore to get through a single disc of it. Interesting player, and i think i was hearing him, but for whatever reason i just didn't connect with him. It was like, yeah i get what all the fuss is about, but i'm just not feeling it. Anyway, i only recently heard Love, Gloom, Cash, Love and it was like "aaaaahhhhhh." Sent me running back to the Blue Note set and it's been on repeat for the last few days.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I feel like I'm still in my "early days" of discovering Jazz, and so in these days there are many players I discover or just start to discover at any point in time. At this moment, a few players that have caught my interest and in who I want to investigate more are:

Benjamin Duboc

Alexandra Grimal

Mikolaj Trzaska

Michael Zerang

Lotte Anker

Satoko Fujii

Joelle Leandre

I'm still discovering new-to-me artists, part of the old 'the more you know the more you know you don't know' thing. There's also re-discovering which can sometimes bring an even stronger buzz than initial discovery. I thought i'd already had my discovery moment with Bud Powell, had listened to him plenty, but man just recently it's gone to another level and it honestly feels like i'm just discovering him.

I'm still discovering new-to-me artists, part of the old 'the more you know the more you know you don't know' thing. There's also re-discovering which can sometimes bring an even stronger buzz than initial discovery. I thought i'd already had my discovery moment with Bud Powell, had listened to him plenty, but man just recently it's gone to another level and it honestly feels like i'm just discovering him.

That's so much fun. :)

Looks like Niels is having the most fun among all of us. Reminds me of when jazz was new to me.

Yes. Reminds me of when music in general was new to me. I'd buy a new album, listen to it excitedly and steadily for a week, and get to know it well. Not like today.

Well, I don't know if I have the most fun among everybody, but I certainly still enjoy my search for new and adventurous music big time. Luckily, I can still be surprised, enthusiastic and blown away by newly discovered music.

I have to say, I think this also partly has to do with the fact that I stopped using Spotify and/or downloads as a serious way of listening to music a few years ago. I really only seriously listen to music I bought on CD or vinyl, and I also like the hunting/collecting aspect of that all. As someone with a fantastic job, but not a fantastic salary, I really have to think about my purchases. In the end I think this results in a very thought through collection with almost only stuff I really love, and little to none mediocrity (regarding my personal standards/preferences)

• 4 months later...

Niels, we occupy a similar philosophical orbit when it comes to music acquisition:  studied purchasing!  My collection is the proverbial "foot wide, mile deep", with a tendency to pursue artists for whom I've a comprehensive affinity; thereby resulting in a financially inconvenient penchant for vacuuming up entire catalogues!  Thankfully, epiphanies are - or were - few and far between.  Lately, though, I've been on a tear, having discovered - and this will sound absurd to just about all y'all, but remember that I debuted on this planet 2 decades after their breakthrough - The Beatles and, in the last couple weeks, Pogues (wow! (squared)). 

Of course, that I collect physical product at all is a mystery to most of my friends who, during the 90s and early '00s amassed huge digital libraries of singles in the tens of thousands, but now simply subscribe to streaming services.  Like my reading material, I prefer to pull music off the shelf! 

Anyway, Paul, I do hope you've only encountered a passing fatigue that will soon abate with rediscovery of the joys of new music.  For me, it's diversity and, even though my collection is relatively small, it encompasses divers genres from classical to classic rock (I despise that term, but it's commonly understood), punk, and even a bit of metal and bluegrass.  Funny, but the core stuff seems to spawn peripheral inquiries that lead to solid new interests.  Okay, I'm going to spare y'all and abort this launch before I'm a couple MORE paragraphs into a self-indulgent interstellar jaunt about my musical journey.  Lord, I can wax poetic for pages about my music (and running) (and golf) (and ....)...but, the pool and work make early calls tomorrow, so goodnight OGMO!/peace, K

Gebhard Ullman

I very much like his approach. I just received my second double disc Conference Call set. Second track disc 1 has an explosive bass clarinet excursion. 

I promptly ordered Hat & Shoes with a killer band including Steve Swell, Pascal Niggenkemper & Gerald Cleaver.

if I could have I would have flown to Chicago to see the quartet with Swell, Lonborg -Holm & Zerang.

I have a feeling Ullman might be my new Amado

Gebhard Ullman

I very much like his approach. I just received my second double disc Conference Call set. Second track disc 1 has an explosive bass clarinet excursion. 

I promptly ordered Hat & Shoes with a killer band including Steve Swell, Pascal Niggenkemper & Gerald Cleaver.

if I could have I would have flown to Chicago to see the quartet with Swell, Lonborg -Holm & Zerang.

I have a feeling Ullman might be my new Amado

Hat & Shoes is excellent IMO.

Agreed on Hat & Shoes. Probably my favorite Ullman disc - I've had a few others that for me, didn't take.

the two double discs on not two mentioned above mine that mysterious middle ground between free improvisation and more traditional jazz composition while maintaining an energetic undulating groove and intensity. The later set (recorded in 2008) but not released until 2013 is all compositions divided into two 45-50 minute discs which are the two sets recorded at The Firehouse in Connecticut. 

Very attractive way to present the music and Ullman plays an equal member to the other three - with Michael Jefry Stevens possibly being the most distinctive and defining voice of the collective group. I think this is a group I somehow missed over the past ten years that hits one of my sweet spots as they avoid overly academic stiff composition that I often hear within my listening circles that stifles searing escastic soloing and improvising. 

Niels, we occupy a similar philosophical orbit when it comes to music acquisition:  studied purchasing!  My collection is the proverbial "foot wide, mile deep", with a tendency to pursue artists for whom I've a comprehensive affinity; thereby resulting in a financially inconvenient penchant for vacuuming up entire catalogues!  Thankfully, epiphanies are - or were - few and far between.  Lately, though, I've been on a tear, having discovered - and this will sound absurd to just about all y'all, but remember that I debuted on this planet 2 decades after their breakthrough - The Beatles and, in the last couple weeks, Pogues (wow! (squared)). 

Of course, that I collect physical product at all is a mystery to most of my friends who, during the 90s and early '00s amassed huge digital libraries of singles in the tens of thousands, but now simply subscribe to streaming services.  Like my reading material, I prefer to pull music off the shelf! 

Anyway, Paul, I do hope you've only encountered a passing fatigue that will soon abate with rediscovery of the joys of new music.  For me, it's diversity and, even though my collection is relatively small, it encompasses divers genres from classical to classic rock (I despise that term, but it's commonly understood), punk, and even a bit of metal and bluegrass.  Funny, but the core stuff seems to spawn peripheral inquiries that lead to solid new interests.  Okay, I'm going to spare y'all and abort this launch before I'm a couple MORE paragraphs into a self-indulgent interstellar jaunt about my musical journey.  Lord, I can wax poetic for pages about my music (and running) (and golf) (and ....)...but, the pool and work make early calls tomorrow, so goodnight OGMO!/peace, K

Studied purchasing; I like that description, and I think it describes really well how I buy my music! And it's always good to hear people from my own age (well, you're actually even five years younger, this surely must make you one of the youngest active members of this site :D) having the same aesthetic when it comes to consuming music.