Charlie Parker recordings I should listen to

papsrus

I'm confused (I'm often confused)about the Birdland material. I have a 4 disc box set on Ember. People keep writing about 2 volumes. Also, though the Ember box claims to be complete I haves a vague memory that Ember also released a cd of some more Birdland material plus some from Cafe Society. Anyone have that one?

I received the ember Birdland 4-disc box that you have the other day (wonderful!) and did notice that it's subtitled "Vol. 1." Rest assured it contains all of the material on the two separate 2-disc Birdlands that are titled "Vol. 1" and "Vol. 2."

Don't know about the additional ember release you refer to with more Birdland material and Cafe Society.

There was also a 4-disc Birdland set on Charly that was not identical to the Ember releases.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

med juck: i would have no idea what cds they are reissued on because i have them all on lp....the mcshann is on onyx. the others are all private pressings with funny joke-record label names

I did some research: For those who want to try to find them: Bird with Woody Herman is on a Drive cd, the live McShann plus a lot of other live Bird with McShann is on a Stash cd. The Kenton and Buckner only seem to be available on Philology or The Bird Box. Lover Come Back To Me with Tony Scott at 18minutes is on one of the Ember Cafe Society discs but according to Peter Losin's on-line discography Lowe does not play on it.

Edited by medjuck

there's a good chance that tonight i will get to a used cd store which has the stash edition of bird's dial recordings (4cds) for 12 or 13 euro; i already have them, but it sounds like a good deal to me (though i didn't check), pm if interested...

quick edit: 9 euro actually plus shipping, don't know when i will get there the next time but it hasn't been sold for five months now send a pm and i'll try to get it next time i'm in cologne...

Edited by Niko

who r u gonna believe, peter losin and his stupid inaccurate discog., or chewy? the man himself, Mundell Lowe, confirmed to me, chewy, that it is definetly him on that famous recording. He and Tony Scott were sharing an apt. above the cafe society at the time. I understand there has been confusion over the guitar spot on this (some have speculated chuck wayne) but my firsthand chewy-research negates all else!

Edited by chewy

I'm looking to 'consolidate' the Bird studio stuff I have, by getting box sets...

Two questions...

1) is there anything to choose between this and this? Is the sound different, or does the latter simply repackage the former?

and

2) would I be correct in thinking that this is the way to do the Savoy and Dial stuff? I'm aware there's live Savoy material as well, but as far as the studio stuff goes...

Many thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

I don't remember who recommended it, or in which thread, but I want to thank that person for recommending this:

619MM7V35RL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Side 3 has an amazing live version of Ornithology that I had years ago on an Everest LP, and have been looking for ever since.

• 1 month later...

If any of you ornithologists are interested, since I now have the complete birdland box on ember, I have this 2-disc ember set titled "At Birdland, Vol. 1," if anyone wants it. Trade, buy, whatever. It is NOT the 4-disc complete birdland ember box, similarly titled Volume One.

I have it listed in the 'offering, looking for' threads for $18, but I'd take any reasonable offer, including trade, since it's duplicate material to me. (used copies at amazon start at $49, fwiw.)

It includes the February 14, 1950 and May 15/16, 1950 Birdland dates.

• 1 year later...

The Savoy stuff is more loose-y fun than the Dial, even though the Dials have more stone classics overall.

But real-up y'all, let's not ask any more questions about "how's this Bird?" or "how's that Bird?" Let's just agree that if we want to hear Bird that we'll just buy whatever we see and worry about it later, because none of it will suck, and average Bird is better than a great many almost everybody elses, and great Bird is just about as great as music gets, period.

Does anyone have any information about the sound quality of this 3-CD "Complete Savoy Sessions" box?

parker_char_completes_104b.jpg

Googling around, I see references to the 5-LP version, but I can't find anything whatsoever about the CDs.

I have the LP box... lovely!

Kept it even though I've later got the Savoy/Dial 8CD set (which I think also made use of at least some of the notes of the 5LP set).