The Nessa Juggernaut rolls on

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, still gathering historical information for that one. Keep your fingers crossed - the music has been mastered and sounds fine. I want the documentation to reflect the importance of the music.

Glad to hear that (as usual) you're taking the time to do the new Roscoe Mitchell right. The best things happen in their own time.

Alexander Hawkins produced a thoughtful piece about the Braxton/McDonough recording HERE.

"thoughtful" is a good description of that review. Alexander uses the word "friendly" in describing the Braxton/McDonough collaboration. I agree - there's a friendliness in their interaction and a friendliness in the music toward the listener. I hope that this review will lead some listeners to the recording. And I hope that more reviews are forthcoming.

Chuck - Have the two great AEC Nessa titles ever been re-mastered for digital release from original sources? The 2002 EMI two-fer is an affront. I swapped an old stack of CDs this week for the 2010 FreeFactory "reissue" of Chi-Congo and Go Home, and the sound is decent, a cut above the usual needle drop. Do you think the master owners and estates involved will someday reissue this material as encrypted, hi-resolution downloads?

Edited by AmirBagachelles

• 2 weeks later...

Air Air Time – Henry Threadgill, Fred Hopkins and Steve McCall ncd-12

Recorded Nov, 1977. This was Air’s 3rd lp, but the first issued in the US

Fred Anderson The Missing Link – w/ Hamid Drake, Larry Hayrod and Adam Rudolph ncd-23

Recorded Sept. 1979. This was Fred’s 3rd date too, and his first US issue.

Lester Bowie All the Numbers – 2 disc reissue of all the takes from the Numbers 1&2 sessions ncd-31/32

Previously available in our limited edition Art Ensemble set.

Bobby Bradford / John Stevens Spontaneous Music Ensemble ncd-17/18

w/Trevor Watts, Julie Tippetts, Bob Norden and Ron Herman. Recorded in London in 1971.

Anthony Braxton & John McDonough 6 Duos (Wesleyan) 2006 ncd-33

A varied program of original compositions, a 17 minute improvisation and a march by

John Philip Sousa!

Von Freeman Serenade & Blues – w/ John Young, David Shipp and Wilbur Campbell ncd-11

Recorded June 1975. I’ll Close My Eyes, almost 15 minutes, has been added.

Von Freeman Have No Fear – w/ John Young, David Shipp and Wilbur Campbell ncd-6/Bomba*

Recorded June 1975. Boomerang, a Freeman original has been added.

Von Freeman Vonski Speaks ncd-30

Von’s New Apartment Lounge Quartet at Jazzfest Berlin, 2002. W/ Mike Allemana, Jack Zara and

Michael Raynor.

Eddie Johnson Indian Summer ncd-22

The late tenor saxophonist in a 1981 date with Paul Serrano, John Young, Eddie de Haas and George Hughes. A bonus track has been added to the original lp program.

Warne Marsh All Music – w/ Lou Levy, Fred Atwood and Jake Hanna ncd-7

Recorded Feb. 1976 Classic date with lots of bonus material added.

Roscoe Mitchell Congliptious – w/Lester Bowie, Malachi Favors & Robert Crowder ncd-2

Recorded in 1968 – 2 new pieces & 2 alternates added to original lp program.

Roscoe Mitchell Nonaah – 2 discs with over 30 minutes of new music ncd-9/10

Recorded between Aug. ’76 and Feb. ’77. w/Muhal Richard Abrams, Anthony Braxton,

Malachi Favors, Joseph Jarman, George Lewis, Wallace McMillan and Henry Threadgill

Roscoe Mitchell LRG/The Maze/S II Examples – 2 lps on one cd ncd-14

Recorded July/Aug.1978. w/Leo Smith, George Lewis, Thurman Barker, Anthony Braxton,

Douglas Ewart, Malachi Favors, Joseph Jarman, Don Moye and Henry Threadgill

Roscoe Mitchell Snurdy McGurdy and Her Dancin’ Shoes ncd-20

Recorded Dec. 1980. With Hugh Ragin, A. Spencer Barefield, Jaribu Shahid and Tani Tabbal

Roscoe Mitchell Old/Quartet Sessions ncd-27/28

The original Art Ensemble with Lester Bowie, Malachi Favors and Phillip Wilson

Recorded in 1967.

Hal Russell NRG Ensemble ncd-21/Bomba*

Recorded May 1981. This amazing band’s first date w/ Chuck Burdelik, Brian Sandstrom,

Curt Bley and Steve Hunt.

Hal Russell NRG Ensemble + Charles Tyler – Generation ncd-25/Chief*

Recorded Sept. 1982. w/ Burdelik, Sandstrom, Bley and Hunt. Never on lp.

Wadada Leo Smith Spirit Catcher w/ Bobby Naughton, Dwight Andrews, Wes Brown, ncd-19

Pheeroan Ak Laff, Irene, Carol & Ruth Emanuel. Recorded at RVG’s in 1979.

An alternate version of The Burning of Stones has been added to the lp program

Wadada Leo Smith Procession of the Great Ancestry ncd-26

Recorded Feb. 1983. With Bobby Naughton, Joe Fonda, Kahil El Zabar, Louis Myers, Mchaka Uba

and John Powell.

Charles Tyler Ensemble Saga of the Outlaws ncd-16

Recorded May, 1976. Recorded live at Studio Rivbea. With Earl Cross, John Ore, Ronnie Boykins

and Steve Reid.

*These items are pressed by licensees Bomba (Japan) and Chief (England). The supply of these titles is very limited.

Remaining vinyl:

Bobby Bradford / John Stevens and the Spontaneous Music Ensemble – volume 1 n-17

Recorded July 1971 w/ Trevor Watts, Bob Norden, Julie Tippetts and Ron Herman

Hal Russell / Mars Williams – Eftsoons Recorded August 1981 n-24

Wadada Leo Smith – Spirit Catcher n-19

Recorded May 1979 w/ Dwight Andrews, Bobby Naughton, Wes Brown, Pheeroan Ak Laff, Ruth, Carol and Irene Emanuel (harps)

Individual cds are $15, two disc sets are $23 and vinyl records are $12.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Air Air Time – Henry Threadgill, Fred Hopkins and Steve McCall ncd-12

Recorded Nov, 1977. This was Air’s 3rd lp, but the first issued in the US

Fred Anderson The Missing Link – w/ Hamid Drake, Larry Hayrod and Adam Rudolph ncd-23

Recorded Sept. 1979. This was Fred’s 3rd date too, and his first US issue.

Lester Bowie All the Numbers – 2 disc reissue of all the takes from the Numbers 1&2 sessions ncd-31/32

Previously available in our limited edition Art Ensemble set.

Bobby Bradford / John Stevens Spontaneous Music Ensemble ncd-17/18

w/Trevor Watts, Julie Tippetts, Bob Norden and Ron Herman. Recorded in London in 1971.

Anthony Braxton & John McDonough 6 Duos (Wesleyan) 2006 ncd-33

A varied program of original compositions, a 17 minute improvisation and a march by

John Philip Sousa!

Von Freeman Serenade & Blues – w/ John Young, David Shipp and Wilbur Campbell ncd-11

Recorded June 1975. I’ll Close My Eyes, almost 15 minutes, has been added.

Von Freeman Have No Fear – w/ John Young, David Shipp and Wilbur Campbell ncd-6/Bomba*

Recorded June 1975. Boomerang, a Freeman original has been added.

Von Freeman Vonski Speaks ncd-30

Von’s New Apartment Lounge Quartet at Jazzfest Berlin, 2002. W/ Mike Allemana, Jack Zara and

Michael Raynor.

Eddie Johnson Indian Summer ncd-22

The late tenor saxophonist in a 1981 date with Paul Serrano, John Young, Eddie de Haas and George Hughes. A bonus track has been added to the original lp program.

Warne Marsh All Music – w/ Lou Levy, Fred Atwood and Jake Hanna ncd-7

Recorded Feb. 1976 Classic date with lots of bonus material added.

Roscoe Mitchell Congliptious – w/Lester Bowie, Malachi Favors & Robert Crowder ncd-2

Recorded in 1968 – 2 new pieces & 2 alternates added to original lp program.

Roscoe Mitchell Nonaah – 2 discs with over 30 minutes of new music ncd-9/10

Recorded between Aug. ’76 and Feb. ’77. w/Muhal Richard Abrams, Anthony Braxton,

Malachi Favors, Joseph Jarman, George Lewis, Wallace McMillan and Henry Threadgill

Recorded July/Aug.1978. w/Leo Smith, George Lewis, Thurman Barker, Anthony Braxton,

Roscoe Mitchell Snurdy McGurdy and Her Dancin’ Shoes ncd-20

Recorded Dec. 1980. With Hugh Ragin, A. Spencer Barefield, Jaribu Shahid and Tani Tabbal

Roscoe Mitchell Old/Quartet Sessions ncd-27/28

The original Art Ensemble with Lester Bowie, Malachi Favors and Phillip Wilson

Recorded in 1967.

Hal Russell NRG Ensemble ncd-21/Bomba*

Recorded May 1981. This amazing band’s first date w/ Chuck Burdelik, Brian Sandstrom,

Curt Bley and Steve Hunt.

Hal Russell NRG Ensemble + Charles Tyler – Generation ncd-25/Chief*

Recorded Sept. 1982. w/ Burdelik, Sandstrom, Bley and Hunt. Never on lp.

Wadada Leo Smith Spirit Catcher w/ Bobby Naughton, Dwight Andrews, Wes Brown, ncd-19

Pheeroan Ak Laff, Irene, Carol & Ruth Emanuel. Recorded at RVG’s in 1979.

An alternate version of The Burning of Stones has been added to the lp program

Wadada Leo Smith Procession of the Great Ancestry ncd-26

Recorded Feb. 1983. With Bobby Naughton, Joe Fonda, Kahil El Zabar, Louis Myers, Mchaka Uba

and John Powell.

Charles Tyler Ensemble Saga of the Outlaws ncd-16

Recorded May, 1976. Recorded live at Studio Rivbea. With Earl Cross, John Ore, Ronnie Boykins

and Steve Reid.

*These items are pressed by licensees Bomba (Japan) and Chief (England). The supply of these titles is very limited.

Remaining vinyl:

Bobby Bradford / John Stevens and the Spontaneous Music Ensemble – volume 1 n-17

Recorded July 1971 w/ Trevor Watts, Bob Norden, Julie Tippetts and Ron Herman

Hal Russell / Mars Williams – Eftsoons Recorded August 1981 n-24

Wadada Leo Smith – Spirit Catcher n-19

Recorded May 1979 w/ Dwight Andrews, Bobby Naughton, Wes Brown, Pheeroan Ak Laff, Ruth, Carol and Irene Emanuel (harps)

Individual cds are $15, two disc sets are $23 and vinyl records are $12.

Wow! What I wouldn't give to be able to say I'd brought all that wonderful music to the great listening public! You're a star, Chuck!

Chuck, I'll order once you're back!

That Eddie Johnson looks mighty tasty and I still need the Braxton/McDonough, too...

Can you ship the Russell/Williams LP overseas or will that cost a fortune?

And what are the opinions (including yours Chuck, I'm really interested!) regarding the AEC box vs. the new single/double disc sets?

That Eddie Johnson looks mighty tasty and I still need the Braxton/McDonough, too...

And what are the opinions (including yours Chuck, I'm really interested!) regarding the AEC box vs. the new single/double disc sets?

Chuck may offer his opinion, but I much prefer the sound of the new reissues over the sound on the AEC box. If Chuck hadn't done the reissues, I could have lived with the box. Now I'll probably only listen to the reissues.

Chuck may offer his opinion, but I much prefer the sound of the new reissues over the sound on the AEC box. If Chuck hadn't done the reissues, I could have lived with the box. Now I'll probably only listen to the reissues.

And you get all the great photos, too! I love those in all the new Nessa reissues!

High quality printing of the booklets, too!

I guess I'm sold anyway...

And you get all the great photos, too! I love those in all the new Nessa reissues!

High quality printing of the booklets, too!

I guess I'm sold anyway...

I'm sure you won't be at all disappointed by the Mitchell and Bowie reissues.

Ubu - hard for me to comment on my own work. Everything on my label is to my taste. That's why they are there.

As far as the Art Ensemble material goes, in the 18 years since the box was assembled the technology (and my skills) have changed. I decided to start from scratch and am pleased with the results. If the box sounds fine to you, buy some new music.

Ubu - hard for me to comment on my own work. Everything on my label is to my taste. That's why they are there.

As far as the Art Ensemble material goes, in the 18 years since the box was assembled the technology (and my skills) have changed. I decided to start from scratch and am pleased with the results. If the box sounds fine to you, buy some new music.

Thanks a lot for weighing in, Chuck!

I guess first I'll order the ones new to me (now how about shipping the Ha Russell LP to yurp? or is a[n expanded?] CD reissue planned of that one as well?) and then decide later on about the AEC music (which I've been loving for what must now be around 15 years!)

Eddie Johnson's "Indian Summer" arrived today, as lovely now as it was thirty (!!!) years ago (feels to me like it was the day before yesterday). A very together band -- in addition to Johnson, there are especially fine examples of John Young's playing. Were any of those tunes suggested by you, Chuck? "Misty Thursday," perhaps? If so, an excellent choice. Additional track, "I'm Old Fashioned," is very nice. Wish there were much more Johnson on record, but this shows what a noble, unique player he was.

Chuck

I've noticed that the Roscoe M CD "The Maze" is a Nessa release - my copy is a 1989 UK Chief pressing with a US slick/card

Has this been remastered/reissued as was the Leo Smith "Procession Of The Great Ancestry" recently (originally a Chief CD release)

Chuck

I've noticed that the Roscoe M CD "The Maze" is a Nessa release - my copy is a 1989 UK Chief pressing with a US slick/card

Has this been remastered/reissued as was the Leo Smith "Procession Of The Great Ancestry" recently (originally a Chief CD release)

The current Nessa NCD-14 wasn't recently remastered - but Chuck can tell you all about it when he's back.

Received and listened to the Eddie Johnson today. It's a wonderful record. Kudos to Eddie Johnson and the other musicians - John Young, Paul Serrano, Eddie de Haas, and George Hughes.

Indian Summer is a fine memorial to the memory of Eddie Johnson. I hope that people here will take a chance on this recording. I can't imagine anyone - no matter what their tastes might be - not enjoying it.

P.S. -- And a tip of the hat to Chuck - for recording this music almost 30 years ago when perhaps no one else would have - and for keeping the faith.