The Nessa Juggernaut rolls on

My copy arrived Friday (!), and I've been listening to it more or less non-stop since then.

Indeed a wonderful record. I had (almost) forgotten how much I like John Young's playing. Reminds me I need to pull out those Von Freeman titles on Nessa again soon.

Paul's assessment is right on -- if you don't have it yet, take a chance. Fantastic music.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Nessa Records is now on Facebook. The page is still a work in progress, but should, when complete, solve some of the problems around ease of access to the label and Chuck Nessa's singular body of work. Let us know what you think, and help us to connect with folks by telling your friends/colleagues about this development.

Clifford Allen has a review of my Eddie Johnson reissue here.

What an excellent review...thanks for finding it, Chuck. I'd forgotten he guested with Kurt Elling on "Live in Chicago"...Von Freeman also appeared on that one. Easily my favourite Kurt Elling album.

How is the early Roscoe Mitchell stuff coming along?

Sadly, still gathering historical information for that one. Keep your fingers crossed - the music has been mastered and sounds fine. I want the documentation to reflect the importance of the music.

Any news on that one?

• 4 weeks later...

Received my copy of the Eddie Johnson CD today. I've had the LP for a few years so knew what to expect. The sound of the CD is really excellent , as ever Chuck's work on remixing pays dividends the sound which was excellent to start with packs a real punch. Highly recommended

It's a beautiful album, Chuck--I've listened to it twice since picking it up yesterday at my local record store, and I'll be listening to it again in the coming week. Planning to feature it on our weekday afternoon jazz show at some point in the next month or so; thanks for recording it in the first place and putting all of the effort into reissuing it 30 years later.

• 2 weeks later...