Mosaic for Christmas?

Leeway

Who is hoping-- or hinting-- for a Mosaic set (or sets for those with generous family members) for Christmas? What are you hoping to get?

Two that I've started thinking about are the Wynton Kelly/Paul Chambers and the Max Roach. Don't think there has been that much discussion about them on the Board. Any thoughts on these?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine it being Christmas without wanting a Mosaic set. :rolleyes:

On my list this year:

Roy Eldridge

Joe Pass

John Patton

Paul Chambers

Bennie Green

Randy Weston

Curtis Amy

My wife claims I won't be getting any music for Christmas this year, but she said the same thing for my birthday and I ended up getting the Johnny Hodges Mosaic and the Bill Evans "Turn Out The Stars" box. :wub:

Eldridge. From me, to me.

Yeah, "me" is the person I know most likely to buy music for me as well! I'm currently dropping hints to myself about the HRS set, but if I forget and give me the J.J. Johnson set instead, that'll be cool. If on the other hand, I give me the Four Freshmen set, I won't speak to myself for a year! :angry:

On my last birthday I was hinting that I wanted myself to buy me the Turrentine set, but it seemed like I wasn't getting the hint. Sometimes I am so dense!

Well, lo and behold, a few days (actually, weeks) before my b-day what should show up at my door but the Turrentine Mosaic I had just ordered a week earlier! I was so surprised! Needless to say, my gratitude for my own generosity didn't go unrewarded- that night I had some of the best sex with myself EVER! I can't wait to see what I'm getting myself this Christmas! I keep leaving the Mosaic catalog on my desk opened to the Eldridge page, but I'm not sure if I've seen it yet. :huh:

Bennie Green!

I think the Bennie Green is the best of the Select series (of what I've heard so far). I own and have listened to the Moncur through the Weston. The Green is my pick of the bunch. Its interesting, the Green is the one I expected the least from. Green has a great tone on his 'bone. ^_^

I want the Horace Parlan set for Christmas. However, the only person who will buy it for me is... me.

I want the Sonny Stitt box.

I got the Sonny Stitt last year for XMAS. I don't think you'll be disappointed. As for me, I want the Gerald Wilson box. Just discovered him with his latest album. Mosaic seems to be the best way to go for his earlier work. Also, want the Duke Pearson Select.

If on the other hand, I give me the Four Freshmen set, I won't speak to myself for a year! :angry:

JazzMoose, have you and I NOTHING in common???

I haven't picked up the Four Freshmen box because I already have all but two of the discs!

I won't be getting any Mosaic for Christmas. But if I were, I'd ask for the Gerald Wilson.

I'm still smarting from my failure to pick up the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis box!

I got the Sonny Stitt last year for XMAS. I don't think you'll be disappointed. As for me, I want the Gerald Wilson box. Just discovered him with his latest album. Mosaic seems to be the best way to go for his earlier work. Also, want the Duke Pearson Select.

Ooo, the Gerald Wilson box is highly recommended!!! I love it. Plus it has some great big band w/organ stuff on it featuring the fantastic Groove Holmes!!! Oh yeah!

I would like to get the Mulligan Concert Jazz Band set. However, in the past I asked for Mosaic sets for Christmas and was told in no uncertain terms that it ain't gonna happen. Oh well, I can alway's rob a bank! ;)

Your powers of persuasion are shockingly inadequate. I suggest that you revisit the final episode of The Sopranos (year four) with the attorney who wouldn't refund the $200k home deposit ...and take a clue. You do have a home on S.F. Bay, don't you? ;)