A bit of help for AAJ

A Lark Ascending

Frankly, I don't care what happens to AAJ. I do agree that Mike is a good fellow, but I've already got my home here.

I don't know what all the fuss is as I haven't been on that board for ages, but I'll go check it out.

I've always found Deep's posts to be highly entertaining and sometimes amazingly articulate. I do hope he comes over here one day. In fact, I invited him over here once a few months ago. Downside is that he seems to declare open enmity with others. I do remember him going after Chuck, when Chuck wasn't baiting him in any way. If he does come over here, I'm sure other posters would jump on him if he attacked others without provocation. I know I would.

No need to fear AAJ dissidents showing up here. We've got a strong enough core that we would be able to civilize em. I think out board personality is overwhelmingly strong. After all is said or done, amicability and civility would prevail here.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a small group of 'children' who have got the upper hand at present, most of whom are going out of their way to get the boor's approval. They are the one's dancing on the leaver's grave.

I wouldn't really call them children. It's a specific, adult mode of behavior that you get on internet (or usenet) discussion groups. There's a particular sort of poster who makes intrusive aggression against others part of their online persona. That is they, partly, come online to spit on people. These are internet "characters" of a certain sort and you always end up paying for them, because by accepting them you effectively accept spitting on people.

Quite often they can have quite interesting angles on Jazz (I can think of a few examples) - which makes it hard to decide to get rid of them. They'll always have a few supporters because of it. But really you have to set that against the constant dragging threads down into the mud - which these guys do, and which tends to set the tone of a group.

If I were a moderator, I would get rid of the worst offenders.

Simon Weil

I know, JSngry. Only joking.

Yeah, I know, but I was serious about the keep posting part. I'm in a deeply personal "zone" of my own that I've cultivated over the years, and I'm not likely to go too far outside it without somebody pulling my coattails.

Might as well be you! ;)

Oh, don't worry. Can't see myself stopping.

I suspect I suffer from some some terrible compulsive behaviour disorder - Euro Jazz Syndrome (EJS) or something.

Though be warned. I'm currently catching Ozzie Jazz Syndrome!

I highly welcome people like EKE, mmilovan or clifton posting here!

I wish DD would start posting here. I miss his posts about freer styles and European jazz in particular, especially now that he isn't posting much on AAJ anymore.

Absolutely. DD was one of the stars of AAJ in the early to mid part of the year. Very strong on avant-jazz but also on European jazz and music beyond jazz.

I, too, think this board has room for more discussion about European and avant jazz. I have made this my home on the internet and I don't care to wade thru the junk at AAJ and I do not care for the format at Jazzcorner.

I have also thought about discussing some of the Electro-acoustic improvisation releases, as well as other releases on the fringes, not neccessarily related to jazz.

And so, more of this kind of jazz discussion! I think we could all benefit from it.

Start some new threads!

I highly welcome people like EKE, mmilovan or clifton posting here!

I wish DD would start posting here. I miss his posts about freer styles and European jazz in particular, especially now that he isn't posting much on AAJ anymore.

I did not mention him, because I have invited him to join in here several times, yet he always preferred AAJ for some reasons (good ones, if you ask me).

But I miss his presence, too! After the exile began (seems strange using such words nowadays, as we have found a very warm and nice home...), he was a mainstay over at AAJ.

He seems, however to be not so active anymore on BBs in general.

ubu

No need to fear AAJ dissidents showing up here.  We've got a strong enough core that we would be able to civilize em.  I think out board personality is overwhelmingly strong.  After all is said or done, amicability and civility would prevail here.

Seems as if this hypothesis will soon be tested:

Look between Bol and Brad :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Interesting... he still shows as validating as of 1:00PM (Tucson time).

Mike has now taken the action that the situation called for, IMO.

I agree. As Valerie mentioned in the AAJ banned thread, one of those involved has been kicked out (at least once) of every jazz board since Jazz Online years ago. Seems to me, a good lesson for anyone in this business - if he comes knocking, don't let him in. Save yourself the trouble. And I agree that JC is eventually going to have to deal severely with the same Greg virus that invaded here. He went in there with guns blazing. <_< Nothing good can come of it.

Back to Bev's original point, I think Mike deserves support from anyone who can muster it. It will certainly be more appealing now that some of the low life is gone.

Interesting... he still shows as validating as of 1:00PM (Tucson time).

In order to gain posting privileges, one must respond to the email sent by the server upon completion of the registration form. There's a link in that email that completes the process. If he hasn't done that, he won't be registered, he'll be in the validating mode.

Jazzmoose,

I'm not sure the place as a whole is patting itself on the back. There are a small group of 'children' who have got the upper hand at present, most of whom are going out of their way to get the boor's approval. They are the one's dancing on the leaver's grave.

Ah. My mistake; I should have realized that his amazing interpersonal skills would attract groupies... :g Well, I haven't been over there enough lately to know "who's who".

Like I said, I'll try to get over there more often (although I don't know if I'm the sort of poster you're actually looking for! ;) ), if they've already run off people like Muskrat Ramble, I don't know if I'll be there for long...

In the spirit of openness, I should admit that it was Bombastic's posts that caused me to lose interest in the first place, so it's not like I'm disappointed that he's gone...

Edited by Jazzmoose

I've always found Deep's posts to be highly entertaining and sometimes amazingly articulate. I do hope he comes over here one day.

Well, we certainly disagree on that one, Conn. I can't think of anyone I'd be less happy to see here. Not anyone. I agree that his posts are sometimes "amazingly articulate". If they make any sense at all, I'm amazed...

I've always found Deep's posts to be highly entertaining and sometimes amazingly articulate.  I do hope he comes over here one day.

Well, we certainly disagree on that one, Conn. I can't think of anyone I'd be less happy to see here. Not anyone. I agree that his posts are sometimes "amazingly articulate". If they make any sense at all, I'm amazed...

The guy is a troll. Masterhit would have a field day with him.

Dan (DEEP) is a friend of mine, but he does go overboard, and the latest example of that was his ongoing, incredibly boring, and--to me--inexplicable series of posts ridiculing Marc Edelman of Sharp9 Records. Edelman and I have had a run-in or two over the years, during which he was extremely insulting, but that did not make Dan's offensive any more acceptable to me.

I posted a few times on the thread in question, but mostly in an effort to discourage the endless exchange between Dan and Patricia (Still Life)--it didn't work, they were like Disney's water-bearing brooms, they just kept coming at us like a loop, splashing AAJ with meaningless, repetitive posts.

I think Michael should have stepped in sooner, but he did the right thing.

It's really a shame, because Dan does have a great sense of humor and his knowledge of early jazz and its recorded history is impressive.