Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time

Alexander

In my view, they should not have included any jazz album and restricted the list to pop records. That's where Rolling Stone is competent.

"Competent" is a serious stretch when Rolling Stone comes to mind.

I don't read the Rolling Stone, all I know is that it is not famous for it's jazz reviews. :)

But when I think of it, I really became a jazz fan because of the Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide, that I bought in 1990 and that helped me a lot to browse through the huge jazz CD selection of the public library in Brussels. It is still useful today, because unlike the Penguin Guide it is based on LPs and contains many reviews of albums that are not available on CD.

Edited by Claude

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face it: RS hasn't been very important for 25 years. I hear Cream is coming back, let's see if they can get it together.

The band Cream?

Or the magazine Creem?

(gimme my prunes before I get cranky! :g:g:g )

The magazine.

Bean wacker. ;)

Oh fuck, I'm gonna get a warning. Please don't take it too personally Sngry! :lol: 3

Have a prune...

Rolling Stone is a piece of crap, no question about it.

I think the "top ten" are painfully obvious and I suspect I could have compiled such an insightful list 25 years ago.

I di think the overall "top 500" has some value - I saw a bunch of old stuff I have not thought about for years and will probably check out some of the things I have not heard of.

Eric

How can you not have Entroducing by DJ Shadow??? I didn't see David Crosby's first solo album either. And all of Big Star's albums are in it?? This comes from some alternate universe right? You know, the universe that the crew of the original Star Trek were transported to, the evil one.

Edited by Matthew

Let's face it: RS hasn't been very important for 25 years. I hear Cream is coming back, let's see if they can get it together.

The band Cream?

Or the magazine Creem?

(gimme my prunes before I get cranky! :g:g:g )

The magazine.

Bean wacker. ;)

Oh fuck, I'm gonna get a warning. Please don't take it too personally Sngry! :lol: 3

Have a prune...

I don't. Hell, I'm old enough to remember when HIT PARADER was a SERIOUS music magazine! Still have 1 or 2 issues, one where Al Kooper talks about the birth of Blood Sweat & Tears and how he's copped some riffs from Maynard's band and stuff like that. Chris Dreja listing Jimmy Smith & MJQ albums among his favorites, stuff like that. A history of the Seattle music scene (in, like, 1968!), a thoughtful article about how Rock had peaked and had no place left to go but downhill due to it's new self-importance (again, in 1968!). Those were the days.

Hand me another prune, please...

Edited by JSngry

Well, at least we know that John Coltrane is officially better than Public Enemy. Thank you Rolling Stone for your obviously well thought out critical analyzation. The next time I go to pop in some Coltrane, I'll know that there are 46 other greater and more rewarding albums to listen to! Including the great and timeless Ramones by the Ramones. I wanna be sedated takes on a whole new meaning.

Facetiously,

Jazz

Exactly. Amen

By the way, why no King Crimson, and pathetically few Zappa entries? Oh wait, this is Rolling Stone, they of the yearly "HOT" (i.e., trend worthy) lists.

Any list that has Sinatra on it and doesn't even list ONLY THE LONELY has no credibility with me.

Not like that's the only reason, but... ;)

I agree 100%!!!!! :tup:tup:tup

I know some here hate Sinatra, but this album just grips my soul.

Especially "Angel Eyes"

If I had to only hear one song for the rest of my life, I wouldn't mind that one.

i think a lot of criticisms are inaccurate.

one has to take into consideration how the list was compiled.

it was a collection of critics, musicians, and industry people.

i am sure it was similar to the top 25 football/basketball polls.

each person was probably asked to list their top 10 or 25.

some of the records in the 400+ range might have only received a single vote.

also, people tend to list the records that they return to time and again, and the records that were particularly influential on their tastes/career.

that might explain the hits collections.

also, if some people listed "meet the bealtes" and others listed "with the beatles" both would show up on the list somewhere.

the perspective is a rock perspective, so you won't see lesser known jazz or blues records on this list, but just those records that might have made it to the larger audiences.

i am not a hard rock fan, but i can admit that guns and roses were probably a pretty big influence today's hard rockers.

I'm amazed that a magazine that cares only about the here and now would even bother to acknowledge many of the people that are on the list.They should have just cribbed from the Billboard hot 100's from the past five years to get their list because that's all they apparently care about(5 years ago-hmm! that might be ancient.) Everyone who reads that list will be pissed off by something that is excluded from it so I wouldn't worry about it too much. RS is a slavish and dedicated follower of fashion-fuck em.