Twilight Zone Jazz

Teasing the Korean

Thanks, good to know, and I have no idea who this guy is/was. Pretty interesting.

I'm pretty heavily into soundtracks circa mid-1950s to mid/late 1970s, and I've never encountered his name anyplace except for this one theme.

What odd careers that so many musicians have. Here is a guy who is utterly unknown in the U.S., yet everyone remembers that one piece of music from the Twilight Zone.

Looks like he was primarily a CBS staff writer?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0308350/

and this, at a level of detail (and a visual layout) that is more than I care to deal with: http://www.bernardherrmann.org/legacy/site/articles/misc/havegunwilltravel001/

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!

Here is a 12-Tone composition by Tom Dissevelt. It was later hacked up and formed the basis for a musique concrete piece titled "Intersection" in Europe and "Twilight Ozone" in the U.S. The latter was part of the famous Sonic Vibrations of Kid Baltan and Tom Dissevelt" LP.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

• 3 years later...

One of the composers i studied with in college was a former jazz saxophonist and clarinet player who would incorporate some TZ jazz into his compositions. In his most famous piece, 'String Quartet in Two Movements' he has a section about two minutes into it where the cello starts walking like a bass, and then the 1st violin wails a solo, while the viola and 2nd violin lay down a mellow comp.

4 hours ago, sgcim said:

One of the composers i studied with in college was a former jazz saxophonist and clarinet player who would incorporate some TZ jazz into his compositions. In his most famous piece, 'String Quartet in Two Movements' he has a section about two minutes into it where the cello starts walking like a bass, and then the 1st violin wails a solo, while the viola and 2nd violin lay down a mellow comp.

Very cool!  Thanks for sharing!  Had he still maintained an interest in jazz while you were studying with him?

19 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Very cool!  Thanks for sharing!  Had he still maintained an interest in jazz while you were studying with him?

By the time I had him as a teacher in a harmony class, he seemed pretty burnt out on everything. He never wrote another piece of music after that period that he wrote the String Quartet. I don't like the second movement of that quartet. It sounds like Webern on 'ludes...

He wrote another piece for clarinet and piano that he described as featuring virtuoso passages for the clarinet of the type that a bebop player would play in a dance band combo.

I can't find it on you tube.

On 03/05/2018 at 3:38 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

Bumping this thread.

Franz Waxman's Crime in the Streets, a definitive example of Twilight Zone jazz, is on sale at Varese for only five bucks:

https://www.varesesarabande.com/collections/on-sale-1/products/crime-in-the-streets

Really enjoyed listening to this, thanks. I need to read the rest of the thread now

• 2 weeks later...
On May 8, 2018 at 1:41 AM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

you prob already know about it (satan in high heels)

Yes, it is a amazing, although I would not quite put it in the category I'm describing here.  The title tune does have that fast-paced nervous quality, but overall, the album is more in a general crime/private eye bag.

Surprising to me that we've not yet mentioned Joel Forrester's work, with and without The Microscopic Septet. Some of the reference points are pre-bop, but if you're looking for something equal parts Raymond Scott and Thelonious Monk...

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, thirdtry said:

I was pretty sure I had the Tatro disc and went a bit crazy here trying to find it until I realized that album is included on the Lennie Niehaus Complete 50s Recordings CD set.  

Does it include the original cover art?

I am now cleaning the house and listening to Duane Tatro's music from the Quinn Martin TV series The Invaders.  There is now a 2-CD set.  Most of the music is either by Tatro or Thee Great Dominic Frontiere.

18 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Duane Tatro, Jazz for Moderns.  

Does anyone have this on either LP or CD?

I have an original pressing of the LP - bought in decent condition for a decent price on eBay long ago. Must say I initially bought I mainly for the cover art, though it is intriguing to listen to. It is rather "far out"' for its time. And though I am no expert on the genre at all I do not find it "twilight zone"-like.

FWIW, the DB review (2 1/2 stars) was rather lukewarm (which was warmer than the reviewer found the music to be). ^_^

On 28.12.2009 at 5:59 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

Some of the best examples of this music show up in late-1950s/early 1960s film and TV scores, often by "classical"-based composers with limited jazz experience.

I am not certain if this collection meets your conditions:

37810674pv.jpg

37810675th.jpg

37810677wo.jpg

37810694vi.jpg

37810672qz.jpg

All here in collection

16 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

I am not certain if this collection meets your conditions:...All here in collection

Hi Jazzcorner,

Thanks for sharing.  I have most of the albums you listed.

The Rhino Crime Jazz collections are excellent.  Off the top of the my head, the tunes that best encapsulate the sound I'm seeking would be Kenyon Hopkins' "Contract with Depravity," Leith Stevens' "Toss Me a Scalpel," and Henry Mancini's "The Boss" (incorrectly credited to the conductor on the CD).

I don't think there is anything on the Ultra Lounge collection in this style.

I have the two Pete Rugolo albums on LP.  I will have to revisit these.  The main Pete Rugolo tune that I think has the Twilight Zone jazz sound is the track "For Hi-Fi Bugs," later retitled "Stereo Space Man." 

I don't have the other crime scene collection; I will seek it out.  

Page 2 of this thread, near the bottom, includes some Jerry Goldsmith Twilight Zone scores that I think best encapsulate the sound I'm seeking. 

13 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I don't think there is anything on the Ultra Lounge collection in this style.

Well to spin the fathom a bit further - topic interests me - here is the content of the "Ultra Lounge" CD FYI

37813677qp.jpg

37813678yj.jpg

I have thought about the theme of the topic. Probably we can find more in some sound tracks & compilations  as these here:

a) Lalo Schifrin has his own style of composing and arranging

37813729oh.jpg

b) Pete Rugolo (know him mostly from my Kenton recordings) but he likes to experiment too:

37813727wi.jpg

.... and this one

37813728xx.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
typos