Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Teasing the Korean

Twilight Zone Jazz

62 posts in this topic

Thanks, good to know, and I have no idea who this guy is/was. Pretty interesting.

I'm pretty heavily into soundtracks circa mid-1950s to mid/late 1970s, and I've never encountered his name anyplace except for this one theme.

What odd careers that so many musicians have. Here is a guy who is utterly unknown in the U.S., yet everyone remembers that one piece of music from the Twilight Zone.

Looks like he was primarily a CBS staff writer?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0308350/

and this, at a level of detail (and a visual layout) that is more than I care to deal with: http://www.bernardherrmann.org/legacy/site/articles/misc/havegunwilltravel001/

Thanks!

Here is a 12-Tone composition by Tom Dissevelt. It was later hacked up and formed the basis for a musique concrete piece titled "Intersection" in Europe and "Twilight Ozone" in the U.S. The latter was part of the famous Sonic Vibrations of Kid Baltan and Tom Dissevelt" LP.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Thanks for rebooting this.

One of the composers i studied with in college was a former jazz saxophonist and clarinet player who would incorporate some TZ jazz into his compositions. In his most famous piece, 'String Quartet in Two Movements' he has a section about two minutes into it where the cello starts walking like a bass, and then the 1st violin wails a solo, while the viola and 2nd violin lay down a mellow comp.

4 hours ago, sgcim said:

One of the composers i studied with in college was a former jazz saxophonist and clarinet player who would incorporate some TZ jazz into his compositions. In his most famous piece, 'String Quartet in Two Movements' he has a section about two minutes into it where the cello starts walking like a bass, and then the 1st violin wails a solo, while the viola and 2nd violin lay down a mellow comp.

Very cool!  Thanks for sharing!  Had he still maintained an interest in jazz while you were studying with him?

19 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Very cool!  Thanks for sharing!  Had he still maintained an interest in jazz while you were studying with him?

By the time I had him as a teacher in a harmony class, he seemed pretty burnt out on everything. He never wrote another piece of music after that period that he wrote the String Quartet. I don't like the second movement of that quartet. It sounds like Webern on 'ludes...

He wrote another piece for clarinet and piano that he described as featuring virtuoso passages for the clarinet of the type that a bebop player would play in a dance band combo.

I can't find it on you tube.

On 03/05/2018 at 3:38 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

Bumping this thread.

Franz Waxman's Crime in the Streets, a definitive example of Twilight Zone jazz, is on sale at Varese for only five bucks:

https://www.varesesarabande.com/collections/on-sale-1/products/crime-in-the-streets

Really enjoyed listening to this, thanks. I need to read the rest of the thread now

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Really enjoyed listening to this, thanks. I need to read the rest of the thread now

You are welcome.  I love this genre.  

never seen it but i do have the chico hamilton decca sountrk from about the same period, but is this one more like the leith stevens cd i have i think.  also if he likes this would he love SIHH?  you prob already know about it (satan in high heels)

On May 8, 2018 at 1:41 AM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

you prob already know about it (satan in high heels)

Yes, it is a amazing, although I would not quite put it in the category I'm describing here.  The title tune does have that fast-paced nervous quality, but overall, the album is more in a general crime/private eye bag.

Surprising to me that we've not yet mentioned Joel Forrester's work, with and without The Microscopic Septet. Some of the reference points are pre-bop, but if you're looking for something equal parts Raymond Scott and Thelonious Monk...