Bartok String Quartets

JSngry

Ok, I've known the 1963 Julliard versions as the "standard", but I just heard the Emerson Quartet's set and was impressed. I'm looking to get opinions on what might constitue a "best" set of this music.

Mix and match different performances by different groups to make up a set, or pick a "complete" set by one group if that's what does it for you. This is music that remains fresh and compelling to me, and I'm about ready to get some new takes on it.

So, what's good to you?

I have the Novak Quartet readings on Phillips.

B000004199.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Amazon reader isn't too fond of them, but I find their slightly clinical, Boulez-esque interpretations make it easier to really examine the architecture of the work.

The recording I heard most often growing up was this one:

B0000029YN.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

but its been ages since I heard it. I do know the Juilliard Quartet built their legacy in part on their performances of these quartets, and that my father never gave up his old Juilliard LPs, including those 1963 recording of the Quartets.

Edited by Joe

Man, you guys make life expensive.

I'm listening to the Takács set right now (bought it last night) and it's incredible.

I'll try to post some impressions later, but I've never heard the set in its entirety.

One thing that does bug me about the Takács, though, is the fact that disc one has quartets 1, 3 & 5, and disc 2 has quartets 2, 4 & 6. I prefer to listen in sequence, but that's just me...

Thanks for the recs!

One thing that does bug me about the Takács, though, is the fact that disc one has quartets 1, 3 & 5, and disc 2 has quartets 2, 4 & 6. I prefer to listen in sequence, but that's just me...

I doubt any sets will be in numerical order because of time considerations. The Keller set follows this sequence: 1, 2, 4, 3, 5, 6.

• 9 months later...

Up for Jim, and any other thoughts on these. Did you make a selection?

I'm listening to quartet No. 4 right now (Takács recording), and parts of it make me want to weep with joy. The voicings are so raw, so beautiful...particularly the third movement (Non troppo lento). This movement contains chords that are way beyond my ability to understand, and I've studied Bartok's piano music and the music theory behind it.

The Takács gives these quartets a very "earthy" reading, if I can use the term; they seem to use much more vernacular phrasing and are much more liberal with the tempi they ascribe to the movements, as compared to the Emerson reading, which I've heard since I purchased the Takács (although did not buy). With Takács as my entree into this world, I found Emerson reading sterile--masterful and technically perfect, perhaps, but sterile.

Jim, if you're still considering which set to get, I strongly recommend you listen to or pick up the Takács--I think you'll like it.

The Takács Quartet is playing Atlanta this weekend. It's a 3-B event (Bartok, Beethoven, Borodin). Go? Not go? :huh: It would be easier to decide if I hadn't just picked up tickets for Lovano's Nonet and the McCoy Tyner + Pharoah Sanders + Ravi Coltrane gigs.

The Takács Quartet recording of Bartok's six is wonderful.

• 10 years later...

Another vote for Keller here. But I don't mind the Emerson set at all.

Sure wish the Juilliard '60s set was on CD. I'm keeping those LPs too.

According to the "reviews" this set has the '63 recordings.

http://www.amazon.com/Bartok-Julliard-String-Quartet-Bartók/dp/B000P6RB88/ref=sr_1_13?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1438346466&sr=1-13&keywords=bartok+string+quartets

• 3 months later...