Ellington Treasury Shows

Sundog

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still no notice from Worlds that DETS V. 13 has actually shipped...has anybody else besides Ken gotten it yet?

EDIT: just talked to Worlds Records on the phone and they don't expect it till early July either. It seemed to be available when I ordered it on their website, but they said it was listed as "coming soon."

Edited by ghost of miles

Still no notice from Worlds that DETS V. 13 has actually shipped...has anybody else besides Ken gotten it yet?

EDIT: just talked to Worlds Records on the phone and they don't expect it till early July either. It seemed to be available when I ordered it on their website, but they said it was listed as "coming soon."

We're just going to have to be patient. . . .I can be, there's so much to listen to.

As mentioned above, it IS on eMusic, along with the new New York, New York release, and the new Basie and Carter broadcast cds.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Thank you, thank you! I was just looking at my DETS cds the other day & wondering about the next volume. Is this available online anywhere yet besides Storyville?

Edited by ghost of miles

• 2 months later...

I'm new to this series and am trying to get some of the older volumes (2,3, 5-9).... The ONLY places I can find them are amazon (at $30 a pop new) or storyville's website for $40 a pop... :crazy: :crazy:

Anybody got any ideas... Anybody got an extra unopened copy of Vol. 8, they'd be willing to sell???

vol. 14 arrived yesterday. it´s great as always. liner notes by scott kishbaugh. there is a sarcastic remark about the author´s relations: "he has loved the music of duke ellington madly for about 25 years, a passion unfortunately not shared by his family." what a broadside!! :bad:

keep boppin´

marcel

The liner notes point out that these 2 broadcasts were longer than usual-- 70 minutes. (Because of it being football season and stations joining late-- not that I really understand.) However each cd is just over 63 minutes

long. What's up with that? The broadcasts are usually 55 minutes long at that's about what they come out at on the other releases.

BTW From listening, I'm under the impression that the Date with the Duke broadcasts weren't sponsored by the Treasury department until the 4th show.

The liner notes point out that these 2 broadcasts were longer than usual-- 70 minutes. (Because of it being football season and stations joining late-- not that I really understand.) However each cd is just over 63 minutes

long. What's up with that? The broadcasts are usually 55 minutes long at that's about what they come out at on the other releases.

BTW From listening, I'm under the impression that the Date with the Duke broadcasts weren't sponsored by the Treasury department until the 4th show.

Joe, I've listened only to disc 1 so far, but I thought it read 73 minutes when I put it into the player...will have to doublecheck tonight. Several standout moments on disc 1 for rarely-performed American songbook numbers--"How Deep Is the Ocean" and "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea," plus Duke's own "Ridin' On a Blue Note."

I'm new to this series and am trying to get some of the older volumes (2,3, 5-9).... The ONLY places I can find them are amazon (at $30 a pop new) or storyville's website for $40 a pop... :crazy: :crazy:

Anybody got any ideas... Anybody got an extra unopened copy of Vol. 8, they'd be willing to sell???

Emusic has the lot, if you are a subscriber. World's Records has some of them for clearance prices, as well. Apparently the new owners of Storyville have cut them out.