The Birdlanders

mjzee

Judging by the Lord discography, this stuff probably first came out on Swing records, then Vogue, mostly under Henri Renaud's name, but also Al Cohn and J.J. Johnson. It's kind of a mess. :)

Henri Renaud Band : Jerry Hurwitz (tp) [aka Jerry Lloyd (tp) ] J.J. Johnson (tb) Al Cohn (ts) Gigi Gryce (bar) Henri Renaud (p) Curly Russell (b) Walter Bolden (d)

New York, February 28, 1954

Wallington special Swing (F)M33327, Vogue (F)655011 [CD]

Lisa - -

Boo wah - -

Something for Lili - -

Note: Vogue (F)655011 [CD] titled "Al Cohn - Cohn's delight"; see March 5, 1954 for rest of CD.

All above titles also on Black Bird (Swi)(no#) [CD] titled "Birdlanders" as by Jay Jay Johnson; see March 7, 1954 for rest of CD.

All above titles also on Inner City IC7022 titled "J.J. Johnson/Al Cohn - The New York Sessions, Vol. 2"; see March 5 & 7, 1954 for rest of LP.

All above titles also on Vogue (Jap)YX-4052 titled "Henri Renaud U.S. Stars"; see March 7, 1954 for rest of LP.

All above titles also on Vogue (F)500096 titled "Jazz Legacy 46 : J.J. Johnson/Al Cohn - A date in New York Vol. 2"; see flwg sessions to March 7, 1954 for rest of LP.

All above titles also on Jazz Legacy (F)JL96, Vogue (Jap)YX-4052.

Henri Renaud All Stars : J.J. Johnson (tb) Al Cohn (ts-1) Milt Jackson (vib,p-2,vcl) Henri Renaud (p) Percy Heath (b) Charlie Smith (d)

New York, March 7, 1954

I'll remember April (1) Swing (F)M33320, Inner City IC7007

Jay Jay's blues (1) - - , Vogue

(F)EPL7065, SCK02-30, Pop (F)CBM60010-30, Mode

(F)CMDINT9514

Jerry old man (ac out, *) Swing (F)M33320, Inner City IC7007, Mode

(F)MDINT9144, Swing (F)C103

There's no you (ac out) Swing (F)M33320, Inner City IC7007, Vogue

(F)EPL7065

Out of nowhere (1) Swing (F)M33321, Inner City IC7007, Pop

(F)SPO17071, Mode (F)MDINT9116

Indiana (hr out,2,#) Swing (F)M33321, Inner City IC7007, Swing

(F)LDM30050

The more I see you (mj vcl; ac,hr out, 2,*,@) Swing (F)M33321, Inner City IC7007

Lullaby of the leaves (jjj,ac,hr out,*,#,@) - -

If I had you (1) - - , Vogue

(F)CLVLX342-B, 500096

If I had you (1) (alt take) (*,#,@) Swing (F)M33327, Inner City IC7022, Jazz Legacy

(F)JL96, Vogue (Jap)YX-4052

Inner City IC7007 titled "A date in New York" as by Milt Jackson/J.J. Johnson.

All titles, except (*), also on GNP Crescendo GNPS9007.

All titles, except (#), also on Vogue (Jap)YX-4063, YX-6064.

All titles, except the alt take, on Jazz Legacy (F)JL80, Swing (F)LDM30050, Mode (F)CMDINT9834, Vogue 500080 (titled "Jazz Legacy 30 : J.J. Johnson/Milt Jackson - A date in New York Vol. 1").

All titles, except the alt take, also on Period SPL1211, SPL1212 titled "The Birdlanders".

All titles, except "The more I see you" and "Lullaby of the leaves" reissued on Swing and English Vogue as by Milt Jackson.

All titles, except (@), also on Black Bird (Swi)(no#) [CD].

birdland2.jpg?t=1290749615birdland.jpg?t=1290749665

The Birdlanders sessions were produced by Henri Renaud who traveled to New York on behalf of the French label Swing.

The original 10" releases of the sessions with J.J. Johnson, Al Cohn and Milt Jackson:

Henri_Renaud_All_Stars_Vol_1.jpgHenri_Renaud_All_Stars_Vol_2.jpg

Volume 1 tracks listing:

Side A

1 I'll Remember April (Raye, De Paul) 8:51

2 Jerry Old Man (Renaud) 5:46

Side B

1 Jay Jay's Blues (Johnson) 7:53

2 There's No You (Adair, Hoppet) 8:32

Volume 2 tracks listing:

Side A

1 Out of Nowhere (Green) 8:34

2 The More I See You (Whiton) 4:20

3 Lullaby of the Leaves (Patkere, Young) 2:48

Side B

1 If I Had You (Shapiro, Campbell, Cannelly) 10:07

2 Indiana (Hanley, McDonald) 3:47

Balance of The Birdlanders release was from this Oscar Pettiford session (with Kai Winding, Al Cohn, Henri Renaud, Tal Farlow and Max Roach), produced by Leonard Feather:

OscarPettifordSextetSwing.jpg

Edited by brownie

The Birdlanders sessions were produced by Henri Renaud who traveled to New York on behalf of the French label Swing.

The original 10" releases of the sessions with J.J. Johnson, Al Cohn and Milt Jackson:

Henri_Renaud_All_Stars_Vol_1.jpgHenri_Renaud_All_Stars_Vol_2.jpg

Volume 1 tracks listing:

Side A

1 I'll Remember April (Raye, De Paul) 8:51

2 Jerry Old Man (Renaud) 5:46

Side B

1 Jay Jay's Blues (Johnson) 7:53

2 There's No You (Adair, Hoppet) 8:32

Volume 2 tracks listing:

Side A

1 Out of Nowhere (Green) 8:34

2 The More I See You (Whiton) 4:20

3 Lullaby of the Leaves (Patkere, Young) 2:48

Side B

1 If I Had You (Shapiro, Campbell, Cannelly) 10:07

2 Indiana (Hanley, McDonald) 3:47

Balance of The Birdlanders release was from this Oscar Pettiford session (with Kai Winding, Al Cohn, Henri Renaud, Tal Farlow and Max Roach), produced by Leonard Feather:

OscarPettifordSextetSwing.jpg

VERY nice post, Brownie. The original Renaud covers are very cool!

gregmo

Interesting that "The More I See You" wasn't included in either of the OJC discs. Neither was the 2/28/54 session (from John L's post). My guess is the Oscar Pettiford Sextet disc (from Brownie's post) contains the following tracks: East Lag, Marcel The Furrier, Rhumblues, Stardust, Ondine, and Burt's Pad. Any info on the Duke Jordan tracks (Just One Of Those Things, Embraceable You, Minor Escamp aka Jordu, Scotch Blues, Confirmation, recorded 1/28/54)?

This was the original release of the Duke Jordan Trio date for Swing, supervised by Henri Renaud:

114378113.jpg

Tracks : Just One of Those Things - Embraceable You - Minor Escamp (aka Minor Encamp, aka Jordu) - Scotch Blues - Confirmation - Darn That Dream - They Can't Take That Away from Me - Wait and See

Interesting that "The More I See You" wasn't included in either of the OJC discs. Neither was the 2/28/54 session (from John L's post). My guess is the Oscar Pettiford Sextet disc (from Brownie's post) contains the following tracks: East Lag, Marcel The Furrier, Rhumblues, Stardust, Ondine, and Burt's Pad. Any info on the Duke Jordan tracks (Just One Of Those Things, Embraceable You, Minor Escamp aka Jordu, Scotch Blues, Confirmation, recorded 1/28/54)?

As John L's listing from Lord (with a huuuge tip of the hat to Jepsen and Bruyninckx, of course :D)) indicates, both sessions have been around on lots of period releases and reissues.

For example, I have the Pettiford session on Prestige 7813 (O.P. Memorial Album) and the Duke Jordan session on a 70s U.K. 2-LP set titled "The Be-Bop Beyoboard masters"§ (also featuring sessions by George Wallington, Al Haig and Wade Legge that had originally been produced by Henri Renaud). The Duke Jordan items were also reissued on Prestige (PR 7849).

Don't know what the present connections are between Prestige and OJC but maybe this OJC project of the "Birdlanders" did not have access to material from the Prestige (reissue) catalog??

Don't know what the present connections are between Prestige and OJC but maybe this OJC project of the "Birdlanders" did not have access to material from the Prestige (reissue) catalog??

IIRC, the OJCs state that the Period masters were purchased by Fantasy. However, lately, these same tracks have been reissued by Essential Media Group:

51v4P%2BPwhyL._SS500_.jpg512FmXDBhEL._SS500_.jpg51QgTc13LbL._SS500_.jpg

The black Vogue Digipak series from the late 90's to the mid 2000's covers all of the titles on the two OJC CD's plus an extra 15 titles from those sessions

1. The first 8 titles from Vol. 1 come from the March 7 session - there are an extra 2 titles ("The More I See You" & an alt tk of "If I Had You") -> all ten titles comprise the Vogue CD "Henri Renaud All Stars".

2. The final 5 titles from Vol. 1 come from the Duke Jordan session (Jan 28) - there an extra 6 titles ("Darn that Dream" + alt, "They Can't Take That Away From Me", "Wait & See", alt of "Just One Of Those Things" & alt of "Embraceable You") -> all 11 titles on the "Duke Jordan - New York/Bud Powell - Paris" Vogue CD (more Bud Powell titles from 1963 also on this CD)

3. The First 6 titles from Vol. 2 come from the Oscar Pettiford session (March 21) - there are an extra 2 titles (alt takes of "E-Lag" & "Burt's Pad") -> all 8 titles make up the Vogue CD "Oscar Pettiford Sextet".

4. The final 5 titles from Vol. 2 come from the Renaud/Cohn quartet session (March 5) - there are an extra 5 titles ("Mountain Greenery", "The Things We Did Last Summer" + alt, alt of "Lazy Things" & rehearsal tk of NY's Idea)

The Jordan & Pettiford CD's are quite easy/cheap to find whereas the two Renaud CD's go for higher prices & are a bit harder to find

Finally the 4 titles from the February 28 session don't appear to have been released on a vogue digipak - they were included on the early 90's Al Cohn Vogue CD - Cohn's Delight (a bit hard to find these days)

BTW I'm actually looking for a few of the Vogue digipaks

Barney Wilen (Tilt); Don Byas with Mary Lou Williams; Bobby Jaspar & The Modern Jazz, Bobby Jaspar/David Amram, Henri Renaud Trio, Sextet & All Stars

Finally the 4 titles from the February 28 session don't appear to have been released on a vogue digipak - they were included on the early 90's Al Cohn Vogue CD - Cohn's Delight (a bit hard to find these days)

Did not realize that this session (with Jerry Hurwitz/Lloyd) was not reissued as part of the Vogue/BMG Digipak series.

Glad I kept its 'Cohn's Delight' appearance.

That one:

114390816.jpg

Pretty hard to find these days!

mjzee asked:

How's the sound on the Vogue digipaks?

Pretty good! And better than the sound from the non-Japanese reissues.

i believe "KIMBERLY" records...no!!! Period. Yes. PERIOD RECORDS.

Does anyone what titles were on each Period 12" LP (1211, 1212, & 1213) - I'm getting conflicting results from different discographies

some claim that 1211 was equivalent to Swing 10" 33.320 & 1212 the same as 33.321 - I don't think this is correct

• 1 year later...

The black Vogue Digipak series from the late 90's to the mid 2000's covers all of the titles on the two OJC CD's plus an extra 15 titles from those sessions

1. The first 8 titles from Vol. 1 come from the March 7 session - there are an extra 2 titles ("The More I See You" & an alt tk of "If I Had You") -> all ten titles comprise the Vogue CD "Henri Renaud All Stars".

2. The final 5 titles from Vol. 1 come from the Duke Jordan session (Jan 28) - there an extra 6 titles ("Darn that Dream" + alt, "They Can't Take That Away From Me", "Wait & See", alt of "Just One Of Those Things" & alt of "Embraceable You") -> all 11 titles on the "Duke Jordan - New York/Bud Powell - Paris" Vogue CD (more Bud Powell titles from 1963 also on this CD)

3. The First 6 titles from Vol. 2 come from the Oscar Pettiford session (March 21) - there are an extra 2 titles (alt takes of "E-Lag" & "Burt's Pad") -> all 8 titles make up the Vogue CD "Oscar Pettiford Sextet".

4. The final 5 titles from Vol. 2 come from the Renaud/Cohn quartet session (March 5) - there are an extra 5 titles ("Mountain Greenery", "The Things We Did Last Summer" + alt, alt of "Lazy Things" & rehearsal tk of NY's Idea)

The Jordan & Pettiford CD's are quite easy/cheap to find whereas the two Renaud CD's go for higher prices & are a bit harder to find

Thanks for this, Romualdo - extremely helpful! :)

Good thing I managed to find copies of the Renaud All Stars CD and Cohn's Delight for a decent price.