JLH reissue plans

jonathanhorwich

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been away and apologize for the delay. See my answers to each point below.

Wondering why a owner would lease an original tape without having a first generation analog and/or digital copy based on best possible technical/aural standards at his disposal - but otherwise really sad that somebody would destroy a tape at all, even the imagination hurts......

Like I said Bill was not good with this end of things. He only kept a copy of the Carter Bradford material thank god which I used when I did the production work for the Mosaic stuff.

What's your take on "Hum Dono" actually? No idea how feasible it might be on the side of laws and stuff, but musically, ain't it wonderful?

I’d have to hear Hum Dono. Sorry but don’t even know what it is. Sound fabulous from your comments. Anybody got a digital copy?

These are the 30 tracks (of Warne Marsh), correct ?

We have 34 tracks with Warne on them which we put out on Revelation Records, two discs. I will have to see if there are more in the master tapes I have that Warne gave us. But I am going to reissue that on Revelation as the kind of ultimate improvs by Warne. They kill.

I’d have to hear Hum Dono. Sorry but don’t even know what it is. Sound fabulous from your comments. Anybody got a digital copy?

We have 34 tracks with Warne on them which we put out on Revelation Records, two discs. I will have to see if there are more in the master tapes I have that Warne gave us. But I am going to reissue that on Revelation as the kind of ultimate improvs by Warne. They kill.

Jonathan - I have Hum Dono in MP3 format (needle drop) - can send it to you

How's the Tapscott coming along?

Like your comment on the WM solo tapes - lethal weapons, eh!!

I have been away and apologize for the delay. See my answers to each point below.

Wondering why a owner would lease an original tape without having a first generation analog and/or digital copy based on best possible technical/aural standards at his disposal - but otherwise really sad that somebody would destroy a tape at all, even the imagination hurts......

Like I said Bill was not good with this end of things. He only kept a copy of the Carter Bradford material thank god which I used when I did the production work for the Mosaic stuff.

thnx - no offense intended, just wondered as "knowing" a collector who keeps two copies of his most beloved recording ;) .......

Edited by soulpope

Thanks. No offense at all. it is nuts those tapes were sent to Hat Hut without very very good copies being sent or kept. Nuts. Tapscot is coming along beautifully. Sound and design of cover are both done. Production will be underway soon. Probably come out late Spring early summer depending on funds.

Oh yes, send MP3 file to jonathanhorwich@me.com of Hum Dono. Dying to hear it. Thank you so much.

These are the 30 tracks (of Warne Marsh), correct ?

do you have a tentative schedule for the revelation releases of subject material - and just to make sure, the idea is to releae the complete takes and not only warne`s solos, right ?

Edited by soulpope

I imagine in about one or two years I would put out the Revelation Marsh tapes. No, only Warne's solos. I don't own the rights except to this Warne edited tape. We were given that by Warne himself. The Lee Konitz solos and all are already out anyway. This release on Revelation was a special thing and focused on Warne's astounding improvisations. Still mind boggling. What a genius.

I'd be in for sure. Would this be a 2xCD coupling the two Art of Improvising LPs?

For my 2 cents, Hum Dono is a great album-- not quite on the level of Dogon AD, Intents & Purposes, or The Giant Is Awakened, but very nice indeed. It's a handsome looking record to boot, and I know if I had a CD I'd play it a lot. My hunch is that it might be a challenge to acquire the rights. Maybe this is why it's never been reissued while many more obscure Vocalions have. I know those in charge aren't so dense as to not see the demand.

I'd be in for sure. Would this be a 2xCD coupling the two Art of Improvising LPs?

For my 2 cents, Hum Dono is a great album-- not quite on the level of Dogon AD, Intents & Purposes, or The Giant Is Awakened, but very nice indeed. It's a handsome looking record to boot, and I know if I had a CD I'd play it a lot. My hunch is that it might be a challenge to acquire the rights. Maybe this is why it's never been reissued while many more obscure Vocalions have. I know those in charge aren't so dense as to not see the demand.

I agree. "Hum Dono" is good but not amazing..for my money "integration" is the stronger of the two but that has seen a CD reissue already.

There is, however, huge demand for "hum dono" so a reissue of it would do very well and make a lot of people happy! Myself included.

Thanks. No offense at all. it is nuts those tapes were sent to Hat Hut without very very good copies being sent or kept. Nuts. Tapscot is coming along beautifully. Sound and design of cover are both done. Production will be underway soon. Probably come out late Spring early summer depending on funds.

Oh yes, send MP3 file to jonathanhorwich@me.com of Hum Dono. Dying to hear it. Thank you so much.

Jonathan

have sent the 6 tracks as separate MP3 files to you - enjoy!!

I imagine in about one or two years I would put out the Revelation Marsh tapes. No, only Warne's solos. I don't own the rights except to this Warne edited tape.

Ok - understood, thnx.

So the "complete" takes that are out are unauthorized / illegal / whatever!?!

I've never seen more that the 12 I have. Oops - probably shouldn't even say that.

I imagine in about one or two years I would put out the Revelation Marsh tapes. No, only Warne's solos. I don't own the rights except to this Warne edited tape.

Ok - understood, thnx.

So the "complete" takes that are out are unauthorized / illegal / whatever!?!

I've never seen more that the 12 I have. Oops - probably shouldn't even say that.

No problems talking about these as they were officially released in 1994 by Verve/Polygram as by Lee Konitz "Live At The Half Note" (2CD)

The Andorrans later ripped this off with their own release

Thanks all. I may have been sent Hum Dono in a private message but I'm not good on this site with the various features. I'm finally getting good at just posting knowing I have to be signed in, duh, etc. Anyway got the MP3s so thank you.

Yes, Verve owns the rights to the complete tapes, Live At The Halfnote, which itself is stunning. Lee and Warne never played better and ironically Lennie Tristano had the night off to teach so Bill Evans set in and they recorded the set.

So for now, next is The Giant is Awakened. Then not sure. I would imagine Self Determinism music. By the way, Jeremy Steig is selling like hot cakes. And I had to reprint it. I was shocked. My only dud sales wise is Clare Fischer. Many people just don't get his music. I guess I can understand if I try hard.

Edited by JLH

On Joe Daley, he is coming out for sure. I just have to accumulate the moolah to do it right. By the way all, do you think it will be popular? It sure is on this site. But you guys know things I don't about most performances and the general public doesn't know about Joe nor do they know about bassist Russell Thorne.

Do you guys think it will sell okay? You all have experience in these matters, as I do in selling, but you may have encouraging facts for me.

On Joe Daley, he is coming out for sure. I just have to accumulate the moolah to do it right. By the way all, do you think it will be popular? It sure is on this site. But you guys know things I don't about most performances and the general public doesn't know about Joe nor do they know about bassist Russell Thorne.

Do you guys think it will sell okay? You all have experience in these matters, as I do in selling, but you may have encouraging facts for me.

I'd think that the fact that it was originally released by RCA Victor might aid sales. Most buyers putting down the cash for 3CD jazz set would know well that generally RCAVictor recorded material to a high standard. Add your pixie dust mastering magic and track record will lead expectations to be high even amongst those unfamiliar with Joe Daley's name.

Edited by Clunky

JLH, honestly, it depends on how much money you have to risk. Just to give you one person's perspective: I've listened to jazz since the '70's, and had never heard of Joe Daley. I just looked at Wikipedia: no listing for him. Just looked at allmusic.com: barely a mention, nothing descriptive; for "biography," this is what it says in its entirety: "A tenor saxophonist and bandleader, Joe Daley recorded for RCA at the 1963 Newport Jazz Festival with bassist Russell Thorne and drummer Hal Russell." OK, now I know he played tenor. But in what style music did he play: free, "structured free" (you seem to like to release that sort of music), something other? More to the point, for the potential buyer, how would they know? Are there song samples anywhere?

So you may get huzzahs and kudos in the press. But as for sales, by now you can probably tell in your gut what the answer is. It could be that just putting it out would be its own reward for you.

If I were you (and I'm not), perhaps a better solution would be to put out the original disc, and include a download code where the buyer could download the additional material.

Again, just one man's opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide.

More info on Daley, plus sound clips. from one of his gifted former students, Rich Corpolongo:

You Tube as well:
An interview with Daley:
Some Russell Thorne info:
Hal Russell is fairly well known.

I was lucky enough to find the Daley RCA album in a cutout bin when I was 15-ish, so I've lived with the record for over 40 years now. I think it's one of those things that will stimulate people as a "discovery", because that trio was really something. A quirky blend of "in" and (then) "out" that thrived on their inability/unwillingness to finally/firmly land on either side. The tension was its own release, if that makes any sense.

And Russell Thorne was not just on the cutting edge, he had already cut through and repositioning for the next cut. You hear this guy and think, 1963? Really?

So yeah, I want all of everything that's available by this trio, and will pay for it. Will pay for it. And will pimp for it. Am pimping for it. It's not for the casual listener, or for the casually curious, but for people who like stuff like this, bands that are provocative not just because of their results but also because of their sheer makeup before even playing a note, it will be a treat, a real treat.

If you want predictable reinforcement of history, this will not be the band, music, or set for you. But otherwise, carpe diem. Carpe all dat diem.

I heard that band a good deal "live" back then and can say that as impressive as Thorne is on the album, he was a good deal more so in person. The man was developing "outwards" at a high rate of speed. As for the trio itself, intriguing though its music was/is, I don't think that Daley was that comfortable with the work or Thorne and Hall Russell, nor were they that comfortable with him. As Rich Corpolongo's sound clips and the clips on YouTube may suggest, Daley was more of a bebop with arguably striking personal extensions player. But he sure could PLAY.