The Sam Rivers Trio’s Reunion: Live in New York

7/4

I was at the show. Sam was in great form despite having to take breath-catching breaks. The chemistry was there up the wazoo. Having seen that trio so many times at Rivbea from 1974-76, it was especially poignant for me. I did miss the extended percussion that Altschul had jettisoned by then, though. None of the sirens, temple blocks, cowbells, etc., as far as I remember.

Track listing??

Did Sam play much tenor??

The New York Times review from the above link indicates Sam played tenor, soprano, flute and piano. My guess, based on the one live Rivers show I attended, plus the Rivers records I've owned/heard is that he spends approx. 1/4 of the concert on each, perhaps a bit more than that on tenor.

• 2 weeks later...

Available a month early directly from Pi: http://pirecordings.com/album/pi45

Shipped to the UK, it's over $30. Seems a bit steep considering Chuck is shipping his latest releases for $18.

Update:

I've just seen that Amazon UK are offering it at a pre-release price of about $23. I think I'll wait to see what it goes for after release..it's usually less than the pre-release price.

Edited by Head Man

Shipped to the UK, it's over $30. Seems a bit steep considering Chuck is shipping his latest releases for $18.

Wait a month or so and I'm guessing it'll be priced on Amazon UK like Threadgill at 13.66 GBP eligible for free shipping. Based on today's exchange rate that would save you about $8.

Edited by Pete C

Wait a month or so and I'm guessing it'll be priced on Amazon UK like Threadgill at 13.66 GBP eligible for free shipping. Based on today's exchange rate that would save you about $8.

It's a two disc set isn't it? Which makes Amazon UK's current £14.94 (free shipping inc.) pretty attractive to me and I've pre-ordered and will snarl gently when the price drop Head Man anticipates occurs.

In the past Amazon have had trouble sourcing the Pi releases to their advertised deadline but they do turn up fairly close to it

I can never understand Pi's shipping costs, by far the most expensive i've encountered from US. I emailed them about it sometime ago but no reply

It's a two disc set isn't it? Which makes Amazon UK's current £14.94 (free shipping inc.) pretty attractive to me and I've pre-ordered and will snarl gently when the price drop Head Man anticipates occurs.

In the past Amazon have had trouble sourcing the Pi releases to their advertised deadline but they do turn up fairly close to it

I can never understand Pi's shipping costs, by far the most expensive i've encountered from US. I emailed them about it sometime ago but no reply

Oh..... if it's two CDs then that probably explains the price. Right, perhaps I'll pre-order it after all.