Huge wave of Zappa reissues

David Ayers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new release of Hot Rats is supposed to undo all the things that were "wrong" on the initial cd release -- don't know the details. Anyway, a fantastic album.

I tend to favor his 1970-75 albums, which are more jazz flavored.

To answer your question, I would do Hot Rats first, then maybe Burnt Weeny Sandwich, Chunga's Revenge, Waka Jawaka, and Apostrophe.

Edited by Stefan Wood

My favorites are:

Absolutely Free

We're Only in It for the Money

Burnt Weeny Sandwich

Weasels Ripped My Flash

Hot Rats

Waka / Jawaka

Over-nite Sensation

You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore Vol. 2

Sleep Dirt

Studio Tan

Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar

Jazz From Hell

Make a Jazz Noise Here

Yellow Shark

if you want to get just one for starters, go for Burnt Weeny Sandwich

For comparison of 1995 Ryko releases with new reissues refer to this ever-changing page: http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/2012hotpoop.html

Edited by Д.Д.

For comparison of 1995 Ryko releases with new reissues refer to this ever-changing page: http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/2012hotpoop.html

Thanks for the link. Luke Pacholsky's info is usually pretty reliable.

Yes this is a good link.

I'm familiar with some later Zappa so it's the early and 70s stuff which I should probably investigate. Dont know why I never did. I'll start with Hot Rats and work out from there. I'll do it from spotify to begin with - too many to buy...probably...

In any case the prices on these on amazon seems to drop markedly once the pre-order phase is over :rolleyes:

I'm extremely patchy on Zappa - maybe this is the time to change that?

(Looks like much of it is on spotters so maybe I can answer my own question...)

Interesting. I have Rykos from the late 90s. Are these the screwed up mixes? (There were actually two CD issues in the first two decades of the CD era, right? Was the other one better?) I never had issues with them, but I'm also not familiar with the originals.

The only Zappa lps I kept in my collection were "Freak Out" just because, and "The Man from Utopia" because I love the two "jazz rap" songs that are on that (and I'll never forget "The Dangerous Kitchen."). I might but "The Man from Utopia" on cd. Not really interested in Zappa any longer. A friend of mine bought three of the new reissues last month and is very happy with them.

The only Zappa lps I kept in my collection were "Freak Out" just because, and "The Man from Utopia" because I love the two "jazz rap" songs that are on that (and I'll never forget "The Dangerous Kitchen."). I might but "The Man from Utopia" on cd. Not really interested in Zappa any longer. A friend of mine bought three of the new reissues last month and is very happy with them.

Have to admit that Zappa LPs I had left my collection - I guess now I am down to Yellow Shark on CD...

Listening to Hot Rats and not warming to it....

We'll see - I may be more into the rock/song aspect than the instrumental jazz rock and "classical"... I'm treating this as an archival trawl...

I think this series is a great thing to happen for true Zappa fans. Alas, I'm not among them.

I must admit that I find this reissue series intriguing; on the other hand I never really warmed to any Zappa, so I think I'll pass :)

I hear you. Thanks to Spotify I can take a careful approach. It seems that all the titles are already on Spotify, whether or not the CDs have yet been released.

Whether I can get past the things I don't warm to - the 'humor' I don't share and the jazz rockery which I find a little mechanical - remains to be seen.

The Hot Rats is the only I'm really curious about - I was so disappointed by the remix on the Ryko CD.

When I read all this (thanks for that link, Д.Д., really helpful!), I can't help but think this is a case of severe remixomania.

Me too, although I fear that this will be the Zappa remixed version again. I really preferred the original although apparently Zappa didn't (hence the remix). With the greatest respect to Mr Z, if it ain't broke, [please, please] don't fix it.

The Hot Rats is the only I'm really curious about - I was so disappointed by the remix on the Ryko CD.

When I read all this (thanks for that link, Д.Д., really helpful!), I can't help but think this is a case of severe remixomania.

Me too, although I fear that this will be the Zappa remixed version again. I really preferred the original although apparently Zappa didn't (hence the remix). With the greatest respect to Mr Z, if it ain't broke, [please, please] don't fix it.

Apparently you didn't check the site Д.Д. linked to in post #5 - the remaster of Hot Rats has the original mix.

Apparently you didn't check the site Д.Д. linked to in post #5 - the remaster of Hot Rats has the original mix.

You're correct - I didn't check it (apologies); however, I am still confused as to why Zappa's family would sanction the reissue of the original vinyl mix (which I loved) after Zappa went to the trouble of personally remixing it for the CD release (I think I am correct here) because he didn't like the original mix. In any event if this original vinyl mix really is being reissued on CD then I am delighted and will be buying it as soon as it's available. Edit: Just checked Amazon and this is what it says:

"2012 reissue of 1969 album from original 1969 ANALOGUE MASTER. Features 'Peaches En Regalia','Willie The Pimp' & 'It Must Be A Camel'." so I guess that's it!

Edited by RogerF

You're correct - I didn't check it (apologies); however, I am still confused as to why Zappa's family would sanction the reissue of the original vinyl mix (which I loved) after Zappa went to the trouble of personally remixing it for the CD release (I think I am correct here) because he didn't like the original mix. In any event if this original vinyl mix really is being reissued on CD then I am delighted and will be buying it as soon as it's available. Edit: Just checked Amazon and this is what it says:

"2012 reissue of 1969 album from original 1969 ANALOGUE MASTER. Features 'Peaches En Regalia','Willie The Pimp' & 'It Must Be A Camel'." so I guess that's it!

No need to apologize.

Although they agree on this point, I assure you that Luke Pacholsky's site is far more trustworthy and accurate than Amazon. His research is always very thorough.

Edited by J.A.W.

No need to apologize.

Although they agree on this point, I assure you that Luke Pacholsky's site is far more trustworthy and accurate than Amazon. His research is always very thorough.

This blog says it all about Hot Rats the analog remaster - check out paragraph six: Hot Rats (Zappa Records, 2012)

Edited by RogerF

I'm tempted to offer the perspective that if one does not care to go too far at all into the Zappa catalog that it might be worth it to look for good vinyl copies of the original LPs that are of interest.

I think that'd still be an expensive proposition for most anything pre-'80, unless you mean good as a grade as opposed to sounding good.

Yeah, but if you only want, say 3-5, and spread it out, you can get it the way it first came out, which for some of this stuff still seems to be otherwise impossible. It' would be a financially leisurely undertaking, to be sure, but at the end of it, look at what you got.

I've got almost all the Verve stuff on LP, have heard a lot of the CD "re-dos", and....I'm keeping my LPs.