Obscure Albums You'd Give Your Eye Teeth to Hear

Pete C

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I could have a more nuanced view of hip hop culture, but what I've seen of the commercial element-which, let's face it, is the thug aspect which is what sells-is so distasteful to me I choose not to. If I cared enough it would be offensive to me. I know there's more to it but there's nothing appealling musically to me, I don't find the 'poetry' as clever as its creators do, and the vulgarity belies, among other things, a lack of familiarity of rich expression English is rife with. But if it floats another boat, cool. As to the compensation aspects, as a songwriter who has been robbed in other ways, as have many before me,sorry if I'm over-sensitized but I am.

Anyone want a "still shrink wrapped" first pressing of nessa n-3 Art Ensemble of Chicago People In Sorrow first pressing?

Brought it back from my parent's home. Bummed they didn't listen.

I understand your disappointment.

But it's an amazing album, which has meant a lot to me over the years. Tomorrow I might dig out the cassette recording, from 1980 or so, of me playing the "People in Sorrow" theme and improvising for about 3-4 minutes on soprano saxophone.

Edited by jeffcrom

Joel, there are thugs and jerks in every aspect of musical culture. It's impossible to avoid. I actually don't like hip-hop and rap all that much, but I respect its contribution to our musical landscape. Of course, most who try to integrate it into their own work fail miserably, which I think speaks to its singularity.

Gary MacFarland Sextet w/Jlmmy Raney and Richie Kamuka, that I can remember. One tune was Pecos Pete (I THINK). There another small group MacFarland date w/Bill Evans, Jim Hall, and Spencer Sinatra. Can't remember the name, moody, sensitive stuff, and both very rare. Buddy Montgomery: This Rather than That, and some assorted other dates. Finally, and I'm not sure of the title, and at least one tune, Hoedown, surfaced on CD of an Oliver Nelson big band date that used Jimmy Raney. I only heard Hoedown, so I don't know if Jimmy was on all of it, and if anyone knows the original issue title I'd love to know it.

Thanks, I'll have to check these out, but with just a little Google:

Finally, and I'm not sure of the title, and at least one tune, Hoedown, surfaced on CD of an Oliver Nelson big band date that used Jimmy Raney. I only heard Hoedown, so I don't know if Jimmy was on all of it, and if anyone knows the original issue title I'd love to know it.

025685.jpg

[here another small group MacFarland date w/Bill Evans, Jim Hall, and Spencer Sinatra.]

mcfarl_gary_garymcfar_101b.jpg

Edited by marcello

Point of Departure. Never see that one again w/o shelling out big semoleans. I remember the insidd flap picture of Raney smoling inside a soundbooth that was anyway probably rife w/asbestos. Oh, the joys of healthy living.. Speaking of Raney, In 3 Attitudes. I know it's on youtube but I want to pay and get the LP. I blew it once already.

Point of Departure. Never see that one again w/o shelling out big semoleans. I remember the insidd flap picture of Raney smoling inside a soundbooth that was anyway probably rife w/asbestos. Oh, the joys of healthy living.. Speaking of Raney, In 3 Attitudes. I know it's on youtube but I want to pay and get the LP. I blew it once already.

I have a copy that is not in the best condition, particularly the cover. I will make you a deal you can't refuse if you are interested.

Used to have it in a budget reissue, which didn't sound all that great. The Dootoo/Dootone pressing isn't too difficult to source, probably, if you feel like ponying up. Right now I have it on a Fresh Sound (I think) CD, which works just fine for the moment.

It's definitely well worth hearing and owning. Excellent album.

To get back to the topic at hand, MG told me about a record by organist Perri Lee, featuring Curtis Amy (or was it Clifford Scott?) on tenor. I've wanted to find that one ever since ...

Yeah - me too.

It's 'Presenting Perri Lee Blackwell' on Combo 600. With Curtis Amy and Johnny Kirkwood. Recorded 1957.

MG