How Long Has It Been Since You Had A Barbershop Shave?

JSngry

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'ave never had one and would probably be hard pressed to find a barber who would even do one.

For decades I've been shaving with the standard multiple blade disposables and canned cream. Shaving was always one of those unpleasant but necessary chores. Within the last year, I've gotten into shaving with the old style double edge razors with the disposable razor blades. I lather my face with a shaving brush using either a bar of shaving soap or shaving cream from a tube. What it's done is made shaving somewhat of a hobby and now I actually enjoy and look forward to shaving. To top it all off, I get great shaves as a result.

By co-incidence, got this in an email today...

An old cowboy walks into the barbershop for a shave, telling the barber he can't get all his whiskers off because his cheeks are wrinkled from age.

The barber gets a little wooden ball from a cup on the shelf, and tells the cowboy to put it inside his cheek to spread out the skin.

When he's finished, the old cowboy says that's the best shave he's had for years, "But what would have happened if I had swallowed that little ball?"

The barber replied "Just bring it back in a couple of days like everyone else."

Had haircuts but no shave at a barber shop.

Now, my wife cuts my hair...like it? ^_^

Hair? You've got hair? Are you trying to make me jealous? :bwallace:

Well, most of it is still connected, white as snow, but connected just the same.

I will, however, confess to a "proceeding" hairline; it's proceeding from the front of my head to the back of my head.

Just like to be proactive in these things ^_^

Edited by GoodSpeak

And I can use 40 bucks for a lot of other things.

Yeah, I can too...but mostly they all involve an indulgence of one kind or another and I'm thinking that there's no way I'll get into the 40-bucks-a-pop shave habit like I would the 40-bucks-a-pop-CD habit.

Then again, I never turn down a free hot towel, so I might be flirting with disaster here with this whole facial-consideration consideration, especially the hot lather thing. That stuff RULES.

As for me, it's pensioners' rate of £14 with a £1 tip to the hairdresser. :)

10£ here but 2 £ tip !!!

About £15 here, so 'Mosaic Single' territory. In a unisex salon too and cut by some lovely young ladies with cup of coffee or tea as part of the deal ! :rhappy:

Edited by sidewinder

Does it count if you got the hot lather/straight razor treatment on the neck, after your haircut?

That's all I've had and that was about 10 years ago. Then the barber moved to a smaller town.

Also it's much easier to shave a several day old beard with a single blade razor than a Fusion (or anything > 1 blade). A few years ago I followed GA's lead in the thread and bought some variety packs of blades to try and have since added some Feather as well. Since sometimes I let it grow I still haven't blown thru the variety pack.

10£ here but 2 £ tip !!!

About £15 here, so 'Mosaic Single' territory. In a unisex salon too and cut by some lovely young ladies with cup of coffee or tea as part of the deal ! :rhappy:

good deal. For me 9£ by young lady but without tea

10£ here but 2 £ tip !!!

good deal. For me 9£ by young lady but without tea

Shampoo and conditioner too with hair-fondle, as part of the deal. Beat that ! :D

Edited by sidewinder

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Got a barbershop shave today as a birthday present from Brenda. The $42.00 job at Finley's mentioned up-thread.

The house music was interesting...JB's original, pre-hit version of "I Feel Good", Nina Simone, just a lot of things I was not expecting to hear in an "upscale" Plano men's grooming center. So I commented on it to the barber, one thing led to another, he tells me that his father-in-law is an old jazz drummer in Chicago, who still plays, I ask him what;s his name, the barber has to think because he's only been married for a year and his wife always refers to the man in question as "Poopie", but he finally remembers, it's Robert Shy...and the shave had to go on hold as my jaw had gone severely out of position! So i told him, man, you father-in-law is the real deal, a bit of an underground legend,. He knew nothing about all that, just that he saw him play up in Chicago once and was really taken in by the music, how those "old guys" threw down from beginning to end.

There's now just three degree of separation between me and Sonny Cox and Rahsaan, thanks to the barbershop shave.

What's in your barbershop?