If you could only have one Mosaic box...

bogdan101

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

“Whoopi Goldberg Presents Moms Mabley” is the affectionate and informative documentary about pioneering stand-up comic Loretta May Aiken who became known as Jackie “Moms” Mabley.

Rising up from the so-called “chitlin’ circuit” and Harlem’s Apollo theater to “The Ed Sullivan Show” and “The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour,” this African-American pioneer predates all the women we come to think of as comedy’s female trailblazers: Phyllis Diller, Totie Fields and Joan Rivers.

In 1939, she became the first female comedian to play the Apollo Theater and shared the bill with jazz greats such as Cab Calloway.

Goldberg’s film, which debuts Monday, November 18 at 9 p.m. on HBO, includes the reminiscences of many of Moms’ contemporaries. Anne Meara and Jerry Stiller talk about how outrageous she was on “Ed Sullivan.”

More here:

NY Post

I would have to choose the Nat King Cole Trio set (my first Mosaic) as I find almost all of the tracks to be of a very high standard - the first two discs of the set are especially strong.

Runner-ups would include (in no particular order) the sets by Buddy de Franco, Art Hodes, Amos Milburn, and Shorty Rogers.

“Whoopi Goldberg Presents Moms Mabley” is the affectionate and informative documentary about pioneering stand-up comic Loretta May Aiken who became known as Jackie “Moms” Mabley.

Rising up from the so-called “chitlin’ circuit” and Harlem’s Apollo theater to “The Ed Sullivan Show” and “The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour,” this African-American pioneer predates all the women we come to think of as comedy’s female trailblazers: Phyllis Diller, Totie Fields and Joan Rivers.

In 1939, she became the first female comedian to play the Apollo Theater and shared the bill with jazz greats such as Cab Calloway.

Goldberg’s film, which debuts Monday, November 18 at 9 p.m. on HBO, includes the reminiscences of many of Moms’ contemporaries. Anne Meara and Jerry Stiller talk about how outrageous she was on “Ed Sullivan.”

More here:

NY Post

Is Mosaic planning a 'Complete Moms Mabley recordings on Chess' box? :D

MG

Whoopi Goldberg Presents Moms Mabley is the affectionate and informative documentary about pioneering stand-up comic Loretta May Aiken who became known as Jackie Moms Mabley.

Rising up from the so-called chitlin circuit and Harlems Apollo theater to The Ed Sullivan Show and The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, this African-American pioneer predates all the women we come to think of as comedys female trailblazers: Phyllis Diller, Totie Fields and Joan Rivers.

Goldbergs film, which debuts Monday, November 18 at 9 p.m. on HBO, includes the reminiscences of many of Moms contemporaries. Anne Meara and Jerry Stiller talk about how outrageous she was on Ed Sullivan.

More here:

NY Post

MG

Watch out, the next Jazz Icons box will be the complete Whoopi Goldberg ... (she your wife by any chance?)

Whoopi Goldberg Presents Moms Mabley is the affectionate and informative documentary about pioneering stand-up comic Loretta May Aiken who became known as Jackie Moms Mabley.

Rising up from the so-called chitlin circuit and Harlems Apollo theater to The Ed Sullivan Show and The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, this African-American pioneer predates all the women we come to think of as comedys female trailblazers: Phyllis Diller, Totie Fields and Joan Rivers.

Goldbergs film, which debuts Monday, November 18 at 9 p.m. on HBO, includes the reminiscences of many of Moms contemporaries. Anne Meara and Jerry Stiller talk about how outrageous she was on Ed Sullivan.

More here:

NY Post

MG

Watch out, the next Jazz Icons box will be the complete Whoopi Goldberg ... (she your wife by any chance?)

No - she's rich :D

MG

I'm with Brownie. Herbie Nichols.

If I am allowed to cheat a bit, I would put the Carter/Bradford as my Mosiac Select of choice.

Another vote for

098829.jpg

I have the original LP box but also purchased the BN CD release just to make sure the Mosaic set does not suffer from mishandling!

albumcoverHerbieNichols-CompleteBlueNote

Edited by Delightfulee

098829.jpg

I have the original LP box but also purchased the BN CD release just to make sure the Mosaic set does not suffer from mishandling!

albumcoverHerbieNichols-CompleteBlueNote

I wonder what the differences might be between these two boxes, since I only have the second. IIRC it was nearly the same. Blue Note "took over" the concept from Mosaic and created their own boxset.

• 4 weeks later...