Dwayne Burno RIP

Michael Weiss

A very serious, no-nonsense uncompromising musician, held in unquestionable high esteem by the entire NY jazz community. Dwayne had overcome yet continued to battle serious health issues for several years. I don't know the circumstances surrounding his death, but had just seen him perform with Peter Bernstein last Thursday. He was only 43.

I had the pleasure of working with Dwayne on several occasions over the past twenty years.

RIP

Edited by Michael Weiss

Very sad to hear that. Once saw Freddie redd in NYC - his big homecoming after many years in California -- and the place was packed, particularly with musicians wanting to hear the man after so many years. Unfortunately, Freddie's bass player had a dizzy spell or something and had to leave the stage, and Duane bravely jumped up, took over, and did a fine job. A really gutsy move on his part, especially with such a large audience and so many professional musicians in the house.

yes, Kevin, Lois, Mary and I are devastated along with thousands of others. aside from his being a long-time friend, in these days and times I can't think of a better bass player. he was so sensitive, knowledgeable, prolific and was only becoming better. he was writing his butt off as well. he actually posted a very poignant message on Christmas Eve on FB, filled with love and gratitude.

if you can, please contribute to a fund for his wife, Wendy at www.fundly.com, as bluesoul has posted above. Aside from his wife, Dwayne leaves his beloved 7 year-old son, Quinn. Wendy could really use our help as Dwayne was the only bread-winner in the family these past years.

the following is reprinted from today's smalls live weekly newspaper, written by spike wilner ny pianist-club owner. mr. burno played last wednesday and thursday nights at smalls in a quartet with piano spike wilner, guitar peter bernstein, billy drummond, and vibist steve nelson.

(this letter post clearly violates the copy rules, but many might find it useful and important.) i remember sending a facebook note at the time to wilner commenting that the group's music that night was especially deep, beautiful, and profound, and that i rarely had heard such music.

"

The Peter Bernstein Group
9:30 PM to 12:00 AM
Peter Bernstein - Guitar
Steve Nelson - Vibraphone
Dwayne Burno - Bass
Billy Drummond - Drums "

“All formations are impermanent. Whatever is subject to origination is subject to cessation” – Buddha, The Dhammapada

My friends, we suddenly and unexpectedly lost an esteemed and valued member of our musical community. Dwayne Burno, one of the true greats of the bass, passed away suddenly on Friday at the young age of 44. This has sent a resounding shock worldwide - musicians and friends have been literally dumbstruck. How could this be? How could this happen? Dwayne struggled with his health in recent years. He had issues with his kidneys but what did him in was his heart. Dwayne spent the last two weeks in the hospital with pneumonia. Amazingly, he played at Smalls with Peter Bernstein’s group on Wednesday and Thursday of this week – right after being released, he wouldn’t think about missing the gig. Peter invited me to sit in with the group for the last tune of the night on Thursday and the feel of the band was incredible. With Billy Drummond and Steve Nelson, this was a mature band. It was swinging hard. As I comped from the piano, I looked at him and saw Dwayne’s familiar face and smile – he knew it felt good. No body could lay down a groove like Dwayne Burno. After the show on Thursday, we sat together outside of the club and talked about his health. He mentioned his concerns about his heart. There’s no way I could have know that it would be the last time I would ever see him. Stunning.

Since his first gigs in New York City, Dwayne established himself at the very highest echelon of the jazz scene. His professional credentials are legendary – Betty Carter, Bobby Hutcherson, Joe Henderson, Roy Hargrove, etc, etc. His playing was extraordinary – he was committed to the music in a way that is rarely seen. It didn’t matter who called him or what the money was – if he believed in the gig he would be there. He had the extraordinary ability to play any bass that he was given. It didn’t matter, he would make it his own. He knew every tune and would challenge you with his harmonies – he would impose his changes and you had better have the ears to follow. Above everything, though, Dwayne was a humble man. A true, pure spirit, full of music and personified everything that was good in a Jazz musician – swing, groove, spirit & soul. Losing Dwayne Burno at such a young age is a loss that we will not be able to rectify anytime soon. He was a unique and powerful, steadfast force on our scene and friend to everyone that knew him. I am crying as I write this. It’s just not fair or understandable. As with all loss, all one can do is embrace the power of the moment – the here and now. Take heed, Jazz soldiers, do not waste one precious moment. Time passes swiftly and opportunity is lost. Live now, live now, live now! Rest in peace dear Dwayne Burno.

Many people have been asking me about sending money to his wife and family. You may donate directly to the family through the Jazz Foundation of America, which had been helping Dwayne with his medical expenses.

You can make donations online here: JAZZ FOUNDATION OF AMERICA or mail a check in honor of Dwayne Burno to The Jazz Foundation of America · 322 West 48th Street, 6th Floor · New York, NY 10036 · (212)245-3999

Edited by alocispepraluger102

An interesting interview of the late bassist. Unfortunately, the targets of some of his more acerbic comments are not identified.

http://jazztruth.blogspot.com/2011/05/dwayne-burno-interview-part-1.html

I remember reading this interview and thinking "who is this random guy?" It's only in the last year that i 'discovered' Jermy Pelt after picking up The Talented Mr Pelt in a bargain bin on a nothing to lose whim; absolutely loved it and picked up a couple of other albums by the same group (they were absolutely killer at what they did IMO). It's funny now realising that Burno was that guy from that interview... reading the interview with new perspective.

At the end of Nov. I heard Charles Tolliver in NJ near my apt, I was really impressed with the bass player. The man really supported the band and took the coolest non-tempered solo towards the end of the set. A few days ago I started to realize Dwayne Burno was that bassist. (checked with a friend to make sure).