Woody Shaw - Complete Muse Recordings on Mosaic

Thanks Chuck, very useful info. Just checked the discography on Mosaic's site again and noticed that only two of the seven discs have his later material. The first five discs contain his Muse dates up to 1977, so it might be an interesting set after all.

Looks like I'll also have to check out a few of his earlier albums on other labels than Muse.

Check out "Blackstone Legacy" on Contemporary for sure.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pre-Columbia dates are all interesting or better. The Columbia recordings were not my favorites (they seemed contrived to prove Woody's stature) and the post Columbia material is ok in a retro way. Woody unfortunately arrived at the end of one stylistic era and could not completely move on. He was great when he was great but floundered later. I knew him a little bit and really admired him as a person and musician.

Thanks Chuck. I totally agree with your take on the Columbia and later Muse material. I do like the ENJA album and th posthumous live material on HighNote quite a bit, and am a big fan of 'Blackstone Legacy' on Contemporary. I was also intrigued by your admiration of him as a person, and would love to hear more of that, as it is counter to the sense I have picked up about him from reading through the years. I certainly trust your judgement above my own received sense in that area.

I listened to the first disc of this new Mosaic set ("The Moontrane" with alt. takes) and the sound is quite good. Musically, it's interesting to me and very representative of Woody at his best, IMO. Looking forward to going through the rest of the box but I like to take my time and savor it.

The pre-Columbia dates are all interesting or better. The Columbia recordings were not my favorites (they seemed contrived to prove Woody's stature) and the post Columbia material is ok in a retro way. Woody unfortunately arrived at the end of one stylistic era and could not completely move on. He was great when he was great but floundered later. I knew him a little bit and really admired him as a person and musician.

Thanks Chuck. I totally agree with your take on the Columbia and later Muse material. I do like the ENJA album and th posthumous live material on HighNote quite a bit, and am a big fan of 'Blackstone Legacy' on Contemporary. I was also intrigued by your admiration of him as a person, and would love to hear more of that, as it is counter to the sense I have picked up about him from reading through the years. I certainly trust your judgement above my own received sense in that area.

Don't know what you picked up "through the years". My personal contacts with him were limited to a few club gigs and a couple of times in his wife's office, but always positive. I do remember him showing me the proofs of the cover shot for Woody III and his love for his son. Not meaning to rewrite history.

Don't know what you picked up "through the years". My personal contacts with him were limited to a few club gigs and a couple of times in his wife's office, but always positive. I do remember him showing me the proofs of the cover shot for Woody III and his love for his son. Not meaning to rewrite history.

History needs correction sometimes. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Although I already have all of Woodys' Muse recordings as individual CDs, I'm tempted to treat myself to the Mosaic set.

So, what I'd like some advice on is:

1. Does the Mosaic remastering improve the sound of the original Muse recordings?

2. How interesting/informative is the booklet?

Has anyone bought the set and can comment on it?

To answer Headman's questions in another thread:

I think the booklet is quite informative really, a good read.

The sound is a bit improved from the Gene Paul mastered 32 jazz reissues and the original Muse cds. In my opinion.

Thanks for that, Lon........Oh dear, I think I might have to get it now....... :unsure:

Never a fan of the 32 Jazz reissues, other than I was super glad to have them on CD. The covers were ugly, and it was impossible to file everything chronologically.

I didn't really "need" the Mosaic MUSE set, but -- damn it -- I'll buy almost anything with Woody, and so I did. No disappointment. Don't know if the sound is especially better (I don't have top drawer equipment, and my ears on are backwards in any case), but I've got no complaints.

Nice to have the three 80's dates spread across two discs (which makes sense), and all in all, a great release.

• 3 years later...