Art Blakey' Jazz Messengers with Thelonious Monk

Head Man

They probably never had the masters to use for the CD due to the Atlantic vault fire.  Maybe the new release will sound somewhat better, but no way I'm ponying up $25 to find out.  Gotta love the hype in the Amazon description:  " celebrating the most sensational jazz collaboration of the 1950's".  Maybe they never heard 'Jazz at Massey Hall', or  'Tenor Madness' or 'Monk's Music' or the 1956 'Jazz Messengers' album on Columbia, or...

10 hours ago, hbbfam said:

I have  the 1999 Rhino with the three extra tracks.  It just doesn't sound that good and a bit tiresome to listen to.  Hopefully this will be an improvement.

https://www.thisisdig.com/art-blakeys-jazz-messengers-thelonious-monk-deluxe/

As long as you're OK with mono as that is what Elusive Disc is reporting for this new release. I know it's a bit sacrilegious, but this has never been a favorite of mine.

This album has my favorite version of "In Walked Bud." It was my second Messengers album*, and I've always had a soft spot for it. Johnny Griffin is firing on all cylinders.

The version I currently have is the Japanese Atlantic 60th Anniversary edition. Sound is very, very good. It says "stereo" on the mini-LP, but the speakers tell me ... MONO. Monk isn't pushed away from the band. Bill Hardman gets sassy!

* First was on Blue Note: At The Cafe Bohemia.

I first had that silver Atlantic LP cover, that was used for several classic albums I also purchased then, like Ornette Coleman Free Jazz, John Coltran-Don Cherry the Avantgarde, Mingus Blues and Roots, Les McCann Eddy Harris Montreux 1969.... they all had the same cover design....