I need some good Dexter Gordon Recommendations

JCR1992

There is a couple of fine Steeplechase recordings ("Swiss Night 1-3" in particular), but (to me) ahead of all is

3f8054a3c8.jpg

with Gordon thriwing with the b/dr structure, N.O. Pedersen playing some MONSTER bass here and A. Riel being non less than rocksteady...

:tup I dig this album too, though i haven't heard enough of the Steeplechase stuff to recommend one over the other. it does feel like you pretty much can't go too wrong with Dex though.

• 4 months later...

Over the past several months I have been buying many of the Dexter albums reccommended to me and I very happy with them all. I am looking for a copy of Ca'Purange at a reasonable price. Does anyone know where I can find one? I want the CD not the vinyl.

http://www.amazon.com/Ca-Purange-Dexter-Gordon/dp/B00000GC15%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJJ2FE4FYH4GZOFZA%26tag%3Dconmusgro-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00000GC15

Over the past several months I have been buying many of the Dexter albums reccommended to me and I very happy with them all. I am looking for a copy of Ca'Purange at a reasonable price. Does anyone know where I can find one? I want the CD not the vinyl.

http://www.amazon.com/Ca-Purange-Dexter-Gordon/dp/B00000GC15%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJJ2FE4FYH4GZOFZA%26tag%3Dconmusgro-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00000GC15

I looked at Amazon first. I'm trying to find it for cheaper than 33 dollars.

It's in this 11 disc box, which if you get there in time can be had for about $80.00 total.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00062138A/ref=tmm_acd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&sr=&qid=

Depending on what you already have or don't have, that's a really good deal, about $7.00 a CD, and most of it is pretty good.

If you don't get there in time, prices jump considerably.

It's in this 11 disc box, which if you get there in time can be had for about $80.00 total.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00062138A/ref=tmm_acd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&sr=&qid=

Depending on what you already have or don't have, that's a really good deal, about $7.00 a CD, and most of it is pretty good.

If you don't get there in time, prices jump considerably.

Unfortunately it wouldn't be practical for me to purchase this now. I have so many of the tracks already. This would've been perfect to purchase several months back.

• 6 months later...

I have a question maybe Chuck can answer, regarding the Gene Ammons & Dex Prestige album "The Chase!"  The liner notes mention that Don Byas was also at this concert.  Was he recorded?

No. Don was pissed at Prestige and wouldn't let us record him. He did buy me a couple of drinks though.

I have a question maybe Chuck can answer, regarding the Gene Ammons & Dex Prestige album "The Chase!"  The liner notes mention that Don Byas was also at this concert.  Was he recorded?

And I have a question - for myself, but in the belief that confession is good for the soul:

How did this so-called "Dexaholic" never buy this?

Was I never aware of it?  I have a hard time believing that.

Did my awareness pre-date my appreciation for Gene Ammons and I didn't want to hear a tenor battle? (don't think so because the 1940s 'battle' recordings were some of the earliest Dex I owned.)

I am proud (and yet somewhat ashamed) to say that the OJC reissue is on it's way from a seller in GA so at least I'll be able to say that I finally heard this one soon.  And only 25 years late, give or take.   :blush:

And I have a question - for myself, but in the belief that confession is good for the soul:

Did my awareness pre-date my appreciation for Gene Ammons and I didn't want to hear a tenor battle? (don't think so because the 1940s 'battle' recordings were some of the earliest Dex I owned.)

I am proud (and yet somewhat ashamed) to say that the OJC reissue is on it's way from a seller in GA so at least I'll be able to say that I finally heard this one soon.  And only 25 years late, give or take.   :blush:

Better late than never. ;)

Confession's good for the soul, and this record's even better!