Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JSngry

RIP Jan Hooks (1957-2014)

15 posts in this topic

A very talented lady, hardly heard from in recent years. In every article, no one can identify the "disease" she suffered from. It's got me wondering....

Wow, how sad. She was definitely one of the more memorable SNL cast members.

A very talented lady, hardly heard from in recent years. In every article, no one can identify the "disease" she suffered from. It's got me wondering....

possibly lupus?

She didn't evolve from monkeys!

Edited by Neal Pomea

Atlantans my age fell in love with Jan Hooks when she was on a local comedy/variety show, Tush, hosted by Bill Tush. This was on WTBS, Channel 17, the original building block of the Turner broadcasting empire, in 1980 and 1981. Hooks was by far the best thing on this funny (but wildly inconsistent) show. Here she is doing a Helen Reddy parody written (or adapted) by my friend Darryl Rhoades, who is on drums. Another good friend, Jimmy Royals, is the middle backup singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T7i7c6WrfQ

Edited by jeffcrom

possibly lupus?

One news channel in NY said it may have been lupus.

Atlantans my age fell in love with Jan Hooks when she was on a local comedy/variety show, Tush, hosted by Bill Tush. This was on WTBS, Channel 17, the original building block of the Turner broadcasting empire, in 1980 and 1981. Hooks was by far the best thing on this funny (but wildly inconsistent) show. Here she is doing a Helen Reddy parody written (or adapted) by my friend Darryl Rhoades, who is on drums. Another good friend, Jimmy Royals, is the middle backup singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T7i7c6WrfQ

WHOA!!!!

That voice...not the singing itself, but that voice, spoken or sung, she had the knack/gift/genius of finding just the right cadence,pacing, phrasing, inflection, whatever it is, that stirs up the involuntary reflex that makes comedy. Throw in the same skills with body language and the facial expressions...one of the best, period. Her bit in that Tush Beauty Contest bit, in lesser hands, hmmm...but she had me ROTFLMFAO.

Totally subjective, but damn.

Wow ... that really stinks. RIP

Edited by Eric

This is such a shock. So young. I really liked her.