the bill savory collection-finally

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just pre-ordered it ($9.99) and was able to download  the first cut (Body and Soul).  It's an AAC audio file  which can be burnt to disc  or easily copied as an MP3 file.  But obviously you can't up-grade it. 

BTW If you find it on   the iTunes store (I got it by searching for Coleman Hawkins) you can see what the rest of the 18 songs are as well as some nice pictures--one of whom is somebody I don't recognize.   Any one  able to identify them all?  

Edited by medjuck

They're pdf.s.  Usually just copies of the booklet that come with the cd.  Since there is no cd in this case maybe they'll do something more creative. You can keep them with the album or playlist in your iTunes folder or just store them somewhere else.  If you burn a disc you can print them out to keep with it. 

There is no advantage of lossless for burning on a PC.  So don't worry about that.  Lossless could only have sound quality advantages, although in this case high quality MP3s would probably be sufficient.  Given the source materials, that is what Loren Schoenberg seems to think. 

On 9/23/2016 at 7:50 AM, medjuck said:

"Savory "taped" the music?    I don't think so.  I believe  the collection is all dubs on disc.  My theory is that Savory was recording whole programs  as part of his job and then made dubs of his favorite  individual performances  (    And despite those who  want to to criticize his penchant for Benny Goodman he obviously had pretty good taste. )

BTW I hope they include the live version of Body and Soul   I heard that was broadcast before the RCA side was recorded.  (Or at least I think that was what I heard-- the version embedded in this story is a lot like what I remember.  Maybe I read the date wrong.) 

https://postimg.org/image/7g8ohdjmz/      I seem to have read the date correctly but unless he recorded this in Europe the date they list is wrong:  he didn't return to the US till July '39. 

• 2 weeks later...

In the booklet there are special thanks, among others, to Scott Wenzel. I hope there are some chances of a Mosaic CD release...

Definitely, in the next volume will be published the Basie-Young recordings. I can't wait.

The sound is perhaps a little scratchy, not uniform, but is very good, to my ears. I was able, with Itunes, to convert the files in wav.

2 hours ago, miles65 said:

WAV files cam be burned to a CD and played on a CD-player.

In my burner program, so can MP3s and FLAC files too.

I've always wondered whether conversion from MP3 to wav format would reveal the limitations of MP3s but as many have commented, the quality of MP3s is high enough nowadays that it doesn't degrade the apparent quality.

6 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

In my burner program, so can MP3s and FLAC files too.

I've always wondered whether conversion from MP3 to wav format would reveal the limitations of MP3s but as many have commented, the quality of MP3s is high enough nowadays that it doesn't degrade the apparent quality.

No, converting from lossy (in your example MP3) to lossless (in your example WAVE) will not introduce additional artifacts. You just get the same signal in a bigger file. (Going from lossy to lossy (e.g., AAC to MP3) will degrade the signal, though.)

7 hours ago, miles65 said:

WAV files can be burned to a CD and played on a CD-player.

Like Dan said above, any audio file can be burnt to an audio CD. iTunes will happily burn natively from AAC (Apple's compressed format, which is what the collection is released in).

While there are no advantages of converting from lossy (MP3, AAC) to WAVE files, there can be disadvantages.  When they circulate, people can wrongly get the impression that they are lossless representations of the original source.   They also take up more room and cause iPod batteries to wear down faster.  Therefore, there is no reason ever to do it. 

Edited by John L