JSngry

Return Of The Film Corner Thread

2,261 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, gmonahan said:

I agree that Rogue One is the best of the recent ones I've seen. Have yet to go see this one. If you really want some scathing reviews (some of which are pretty funny), have a look at what reviewers are saying about "Cats"!

gregmo

Agree about Rogue One. It was a good stand alone movie. Also, the series The Mandalorian on the Disney Channel is better than these past few movies. I don’t agree about Abrams. I just don’t think he’s very good. A mistake they made in the last three was having two different directors; different ideas, different visions, etc. 

Haven't seen many movies in a long time, but I just saw Almodovar's Pain and Glory at the newly refurbished Paradise Theatre in Toronto.  It has some very strong moments.  Banderas really inhabits his role well (esp. the scene when he reconnects with an old lover), though the most memorable scenes of the film are the childhood flashbacks.  This review generally seems on target - https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/aug/25/pain-and-glory-review-pedro-almodovar-antonio-banderas-penelope-cruz

Will probably see Rise of Skywalker over the weekend and then perhaps a showing of 2001 (with 70 mm print) at TIFF.

The Cotton Club Encore - Francis Ford Coppola (2019-1984)

Image result for the cotton club encore

Don't have a copy of the original to make a comparison but the newly edited version looks really good, with more song and dance . Still feels off kilter with the musical side never meshing with the weak gangster storyline.

The musical numbers are super good and I would have been happy just watching those. In one scene some arguement in the foreground is supposed to be the focus of attention while a spectacular song and dance number is playing out on stage.

My attention was entirely on the stage and that sums up the schizoid nature of the film.

Top marks for the music, although some has been edited out, but much less enthusiasm for the weak mob storyline stuff.

Judy - Rupert Goold (2019)

Image result for judy film

Renee Zellweger deserves praise for giving it her all. The film is certainly worth watching  but the all pervasive sadness is wearing. It might have been better to offer more light to the darkness of the film. The studio abuse of the young Judy was sickening.

Made For Each Other - John Cromwell (1939)

Image result for made for each other 1939

Carole Lombard and James Stewart are great together. As the film darkens Stewart moves into almost a dress rehearsal for the later tormented George Bailey

The film goes completely off the rails in the last 25 minutes, to the point of very nearly destroying the film.

One of the worst examples of studio tampering I've ever seen. Apart from that it's very enjoyable. 

1 hour ago, ejp626 said:

Haven't seen many movies in a long time, but I just saw Almodovar's Pain and Glory at the newly refurbished Paradise Theatre in Toronto.  It has some very strong moments.  Banderas really inhabits his role well (esp. the scene when he reconnects with an old lover), though the most memorable scenes of the film are the childhood flashbacks.  This review generally seems on target - https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/aug/25/pain-and-glory-review-pedro-almodovar-antonio-banderas-penelope-cruz

Will probably see Rise of Skywalker over the weekend and then perhaps a showing of 2001 (with 70 mm print) at TIFF.

Where's The Paradise Theatre? 

11 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Where's The Paradise Theatre? 

It's on Bloor between Dufferin and Ossington.

Here's some photos of the interior - https://www.blogto.com/film/2019/12/paradise-theatre-toronto/

It's definitely a bit pricey for a second-run theatre (basically full price tickets), but I'll try to go from time to time, since the owners deserve some major plaudits for bringing this place back from the dead.

7 hours ago, ejp626 said:

It's on Bloor between Dufferin and Ossington.

Here's some photos of the interior - https://www.blogto.com/film/2019/12/paradise-theatre-toronto/

It's definitely a bit pricey for a second-run theatre (basically full price tickets), but I'll try to go from time to time, since the owners deserve some major plaudits for bringing this place back from the dead.

Wow!  Thanks. 

The Two Popes - Fernando Meirelles  (2019)

Image result for the two popes

Two great perfomances. I thought it was really good.

L'Avventura - Michelangelo Antonioni (1960)

Image result for l'avventura criterion blu ray

Edited by kinuta

Knives Out- Rian Johnson (2019)

Image result for knives out

Great, one of the year's best.

Little Women - Greta Gerwig directed new version.

1 hour ago, kinuta said:

Did they film this with 3 alternative endings, a la Clue?

2 hours ago, kinuta said:

Utterly lame IMO. Doesn't anyone remember, in this puzzle mystery/joust vein, "Sleuth" or "The Last of Sheila" or the "Sleuth" semi-offshoot with Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve?

2 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Utterly lame IMO. Doesn't anyone remember, in this puzzle mystery/joust vein, ... the "Sleuth" semi-offshoot with Michael Caine and Christopher Reeve?

Deathtrap? I saw the Broadway play (by Ira Levin) c. 1980 and enjoyed it, but didn't see the later film. Doubt I'll watch Knives Out, either.

The Passion of Joan of Arc. I'm surprised at how intense and moving the film is, a must watch again movie.

25892102-b0a8-4033-a8a0-54bdc308a977-048

More than 50 years ago I saw this in Copenhagen with Dreyer present to introduce it. 

Saw The Rise of Skywalker with my son today.  Fewer outright howlers than in The Last Jedi.  It was an acceptable end to the third trilogy.

26 minutes ago, medjuck said:

More than 50 years ago I saw this in Copenhagen with Dreyer present to introduce it. 

You lucky so-and-so!

The Favorite

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

Wow! That had to have been both intense and memorable. 

Uncut Gems

Edited by jlhoots

2 hours ago, Dave Garrett said:

Wow! That had to have been both intense and memorable. 

Well I do remember it. Can't say that for everything from 1964. 

Saw Scorsese's Bringing Out the Dead at TIFF Lightbox tonight.  I don't think I've seen it since the original release in 1999.  I enjoyed it, though there are plenty of over-the-top moments (and not all are attributed to Nicholas Cage).  I did not realize until I saw the closing credits that the voice of one of the dispatchers was Scorese himself, while the one who banters with Ving Rhames was Queen Latifah!

Dolomite is My Name... which I loved and which features the Bihari Brothers as well as The Dunbar Hotel.