Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

what is this label, is there more on it? where did you find this and is it someplace i too can go to find things?

I think I discovered that record a couple years ago when I was working on my 70s jazz blog.  IIRC, I read about Mario Bauza and Graciela leaving Machito's band in the 70s -- maybe it was in John Storm Roberts' Latin Tinge? -- and that led me to discogs to explore their work.  I think discogs led me to both La Botánica and Afro-Cuban Jazz.

Incidentally, if you're an Amazon Prime member, you can listen to Afro-Cuban Jazz via that service.  The cover is different (and they don't give Graciela leadership credit), as shown below:

81YBwxPuNwL._SS500__.jpg

Also, here are the Caiman listings on discogs.  [EDIT: I just now see that Dub Modal beat me to the punch. ;)]

I've heard that the Caiman LP called Super All Stars is really good. (Again, maybe read that in Latin Tinge?)  I haven't heard all of it, but here are a couple cuts:

Here are the personnel credits for the Super All Stars:

Alto Saxophone [Saxofones Alto], Flute [Flauta] – Paquito D'Rivera
Bass [Bajo] – Andy González
Chorus – Adalberto Santiago, Leo González, Felo Barrios
Congas – Daniel Ponce
Drums [Bateria] – Ignacio Berroa
Guiro – Felo Barrios
Guitar [Guitarra] – Juan Márquez
Piano – Paquito Pastor
Tenor Saxophone [Saxofones Tenores], Baritone Saxophone [Saxofones Baritono], Piccolo Flute [Picolo] – Mario Rivera
Timbales, Vibraphone [Vibrafono] – Tito Puente
Trombone – Claudio Roditi, José Rodrigues, Steve Turre
Trumpet [Trompetas] – 'Chocolate' Armenteros, Spanky Davis, Valery Ponomorev

LOTS of Latin Jazz heavies! :tup 

Edited by HutchFan

Yes, lots of possibilities on that Caiman label...the Discogs listing also has no small number of electro/reggaetron stuff, which to me seems to indicate that it was very much a "community" label with product for all ages (and in between!). The impression I have gotten is that the only time the Cuban/Cuban-American coummunity stops living with their musics is when they did, and even then, conclusive proof has yet to be offered.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Yes, lots of possibilities on that Caiman label...the Discogs listing also has no small number of electro/reggaetron stuff, which to me seems to indicate that it was very much a "community" label with product for all ages (and in between!). The impression I have gotten is that the only time the Cuban/Cuban-American coummunity stops living with their musics is when they did, and even then, conclusive proof has yet to be offered.

Absolutely. 

NP:

41GYJ3799JL.jpg

Charles Earland - Front Burner (Milestone, 1988)
with Virgil Jones (tr), Bill Easley (ts, ss), Bobby Broom (g), Buddy Williams (d) and Frank Colon (cga)

Some good stuff from "The Mighty Burner"!  

Congress-Woman Malinda Jackson Parker - The Liberian Landmark Joy

9lsFEF4.jpg

Imagine Wesley Willis meets Nina Simone.
An extension of her EP from the early 70s called "Tubman Goodtype Songs Of Liberia." 
Even some of those tunes were derived from a late 60s record which featured one of her favorite subjects: bloodsucking insects.
This album is named after the label that 60s side was on. A "special" tune of hers - part of a series -
is called "Cousin Mosquito No. 2" where she begins talking about how great "Radaminov" was - 
soon playing Rachmaninov's - Prelude in C Sharp Minor while singing about how awful the mosquito is:
"Mosquito is no friend to man" ... "Mosquito has the stink of death" ... 
The album is filled with all kinds of grandmotherly advice for the inhabitants of Liberia. 
Maybe it's time for us to listen too?

CKzhdpS.jpg

Edited by rostasi

14 hours ago, jazzbo said:

51GC-cRcaVL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

That arrangement of "Love for Sale". Chet kept it also on his small group performances mostly live in Europe. Very fine on the 1979 live at Onkel Pö´s in Hamburg, Germany

22 hours ago, BillF said:

:tup

On 11.4.2021 at 1:43 AM, jazzbo said:

R-7379184-1440227325-7809.jpeg.jpg

It´s one of my favourite Miles albums. I purchased it when I was a teenager.