Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51v2kKciFVL._SY400_.jpg

Justin Robinson - Just In Time: I fondly recall seeing Robinson with Roy Hargrove shortly after Earfood was released and it was one of the best concerts I've attended.  On this Verve date, Robinson was joined by the rhythm section of Kenny Barron, Peter Washington and Lewis Nash, with Eddie Henderson, Stephen Scott, Clifton Anderson and Javon Jackson making appearances.  The album ends with an alto battle featuring producer Bobby Watson and Gary Bartz.  Robinson has released few recordings in the years since, which is a shame.  This one is worth seeking out.

Edited by Justin V

Something I love very much. And I like the combination of the masters from the 50´s with younger musicians from the 70´s, so Bob James dubbing on electric and acoustic piano really does a very good job here, as does John Scofield who was still quite new then. 

Wonderful choice of tunes, older stuff and some new Mulligan compositions as "Song for an unfinished woman".......

Download.jpg

"Big Band Basie" Count Basie, Pablo K2 cd.

I saw Basie about a year before this in a church. A wonderful show, even though I was distracted watching my late first wife on a date with someone else about four rows ahead on the other side of the sanctuary. . . .

This band has such PRECISION. And the sound is killer.

Basie_Big_Band_cover.jpg

Before that these four masters of time, melody and mood. Great tunes!

Milt Jackson, Ray Brown, Mickey Roker, Joe Pass "All Too Soon--The Ellington Album" Pablo cd.

AOJC_450__50262__01152009123222-6283.jpg

Following these. . .

The powerful and innovative original mix of this classic cornerstone of my listening world. The first disc which is always a great one two punch of the mystic madness of "Pharaoh's Dance" and the dionysian funkiness of "Bitches Brew." This version is the stereo SACD layer of the latest Sony that features the quadrophonic version.

aec.snyj6340846sacd_0.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

9 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Ellington Small Group with Rolf Ericson, Lawrence Brownm Johnny Hodges, Paul Gonsalves, Harry Carney, Duke Ellington, John Lamb and Sam Woodyard51SeGmJXoGL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

I saw the Ellington Orch when Ericson was with them. I remember Duke's introduction: "All the way from Sweden ..." :D What date is your album?

Edited by BillF