Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

I saw Lee Katzman with the Kenton Band in the mid-1950's, and saw Teddy Edwards in California not long before he died, must have been in 2001.

So the interesting part is that there was a roughly 45 year gap between seeing these two horn players live.

71wSbCItMJL._SS500_.jpg

Sadly, located here, those amazing opportunities weren't available to me, Peter, though fortunately many US players did make their way across the ocean.

That's an aptly named album! :)

Edited by BillF

I saw Teddy Edwards in 1999 (non-playing, arm in a sling but leading his quartet) and for the only time playing in NYC, the year was either 2000 or 2001. It was a rare East Coast live appearance and he played great. John Hicks on piano.

Edited by sidewinder

Billie Holiday "Lady in Satin"
holiday_custom-4547448c7e1d7de30c6f87d53

I stay away from this album more often than I should. Over time I have learned to really like it. The respectful, sentimental hammock of the orchestral backing behind her frank, seemingly unfiltered delivery. . . a unique blend. A few of these songs evoke emotional memory in me.

I'm actually listening on this "Essential Masters" set which includes her MGM album and some great broadcast material; this first disc has Billie at Newport 1958 (in stereo with airplane fly-overs!).

https://data.opus3a.com/product_photo/10/10707d9c868100ae83bf35b52e1d67de/MAX/4e7be5fd616cd76a1c2817e961c3931f.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I don't know that one, should I investigate?

I like it a lot, even though I'm normally allergic to Rowe. It feels like anything can happen, which isn't how I normally feel about free improv or electro acoustic stuff.

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-4421478-1617983867-7663.jpeg.jpg

Lee Konitz with Alan Broadbent - Live - Lee (Milestone, 2003)

:wub:

There's always another Konitz record to investigate.

Edited by Rabshakeh

The expanded 2-CD reissue of this has become some of my favorite live Coltrane. I know it’s all drawn from the Live Trane box set that preceded it, and which I also have—but this is a more economical listening experience. (Though I do feel overdue to take in that box in its entirety again.) 

81x2C8rhGqL._SY355_.jpg

11 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

The expanded 2-CD reissue of this has become some of my favorite live Coltrane. I know it’s all drawn from the Live Trane box set that preceded it, and which I also have—but this is a more economical listening experience. (Though I do feel overdue to take in that box in its entirety again.) 

81x2C8rhGqL._SY355_.jpg

When this was first released back in the 70s, I took a cassette version with me to an intensive foreign language course in Santa Cruz CA.   Since it was one of only a few cassettes that I had with me, I listened to it over and over again.   I think that I know almost every note by heart now. :D

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

81x2C8rhGqL._SY355_.jpg

Outerwordly music .... btw worth the ticket of entry for "Spiritual" (from Stockholm) alone ....