Allan Holdsworth (1946 - 2017)

7/4

no real details, other than a Facebook post by one of his daughters.

It is with heavy hearts that we notify everyone of the passing of our beloved father. We would appreciate privacy and time while we grieve the loss of our dad, grandad, friend and musical genius. We will update close friends and family when service arrangements have been made and will notify the public of an open memorial service, which all would be welcome. We are undeniably still in shock with his unexpected death and cannot begin to put into words the overwhelming sadness we are experiencing. He is missed tremendously.

Louise, Sam, Emily & Rori

I'm shocked and very sad. Allan was a game changer. Guitar was never the same after we heard him.

:(

Edited by 7/4

This comes as a real shock ..... I wonder what the causes of his untimely death were. He was the only fusion guitarist I could enjoy, much more than McLaughlin or anybody else. I saw him live with Terry Bozzio's overkill drumset band a few years ago, but he took a strict sideman role there. 

There was a monumental box set released just recently:

0767004650227.jpg

It includes 12 albums:

I. O.U. (1982)
Road Games (1983)
Metal Fatigue (1985)
Atavachron (1986)
Sand (1987)
Secrets (1989)
Wardenclyffe Tower (1992)
Hard Hat Area (1993)
None Too Soon (1996)
The Sixteen Men Of Tain (2000)
Flat Tire: Music For A Non-Existent Movie (2001)
Then! Live In Tokyo (2003)

R.I.P., and many thanks for the inspired playing.

2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

This comes as a real shock ..... I wonder what the causes of his untimely death were. He was the only fusion guitarist I could enjoy, much more than McLaughlin or anybody else. I saw him live with Terry Bozzio's overkill drumset band a few years ago, but he took a strict sideman role there. 

Actually, now that you said something, there were not a lot of fusion guys that really grabbed me.

I heard "audience recordings' of the band with Bozzio and Levin, not a very focused affair. I think all they did was show up and jam, no tunes.

I always thought of him as one of a trio of fine Yorkshire-born guitarists who came up through the 60s and 70s - namely Derek Bailey, John McLaughlin and Holdsworth. He was Bradford born and in the rich musical lineage from that city that also gave rise to Delius. Sorry to hear this and RIP - I will give his work on Ian Carr 'Belladonna' a spin.

"Afternoon, Easter Sunday 2017…I’m sitting at my desk scrolling through Facebook and I see a nice photo of Allan Holdsworth sitting on the floor with his two daughters and a granddaughter, holding his guitars. Sweet, then I’m totally shocked to find Louise Holdsworth letting us know Allan passed away, only 70."

...more here... :mellow: