Jarrett and applause

Milestones

I'm sure many of you have noted the very long period of applause found at the end of every Jarrett live album, which is most of his records.  It's weird how this craving for applause has to be documented on the recordings.  I'm sure sustained applause could be included on many live albums, but the producer makes the decision to cut it off after a reasonable time.

In the case of Jarrett, it's just annoying.  Thank god you can hit "stop" so easily with digital music.

Those albums are produced by Manfred Eicher, so he has to be in on the decision.

21 hours ago, Milestones said:

In the case of Jarrett, it's just annoying.  Thank god you can hit "stop" so easily with digital music.

Alternately, you can rip the disc, create a fade using audio software, and then save the results in a lossless format.

Well applause is what the artist wants to get, even if he doesn´t admit it.

I never really dug into Keith Jarrett when he became that huge solo star ,............ I really liked his playing with Miles on those two keyboards, the cellar door sessions, and I like one trio album dedicated to Miles, but never was really aware of the whole solo stuff, that´s not really my alley.

But I heard he is a difficult person and curses the audience out, even Miles was nicer I heard. Well that´s the way former Miles sidemen want to out-miles the master.

On the other hand their are even studio records where they brought fake applause in, saw it on a lot of albums.

I don´t feel disturbed if their is applause on a record, even if it´s not at the end, but after the solos, with shouts of encorage for the soloist, coming from fellow musicians and the audience. That´s jazz.

21 hours ago, Milestones said:

I don't mind applause, but on the Jarrett records it seems to go on forever.  Maybe it was great and the crowd clapped endlessly, But I can't recall such sustained applause on other records. It's as if he wants to present proof that he's the greatest musician on earth.

It could also be a function of obsessive/completist documentation.  Jarrett seems like the kind of person who would favor that.