Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dmitry

Tom Petty is gone.

36 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, B. Clugston said:

There aren't too many examples of rock and rollers who were so consistently good for so long as Tom Petty. 

You know, you are 100% correct.

I don't think I appreciated him enough throughout most of his career, because FM radio shoved his music down our throats. But stepping back and looking at the bigger picture, I can't help but agree with you. 

It's odd. When Bowie died I suddenly had an urge to go back and revisit his career/catalog because I thought I'd truly missed out on something special. And while he DID put out some great tunes, I found overall that my opinion of his career really didn't change. Not so with Petty. Been hearing some of his older stuff on the radio today, and realizing that, yeah, I should have been paying closer attention. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

The recording quality/sound is also pretty damn good.

Absolutely. The stuff he did with Lynne was a bit too glittery, but the tunes were strong enough to overcome it, IMO 

9 hours ago, mjazzg said:

or Whispering Bob? :w

Channel 4 News just ended with a montage of Petty. I was surprised by that, didn't think he was that recognised to merit national news coverage.Maybe the producer watched OGWT too

'Full Moon Fever', 'Into The Great Wide Open', and 'Hypnotic Eye' were all top 10 albums in the UK, with 'Into The Great Wide Open' going to #3.

23 hours ago, mjazzg said:

or Whispering Bob? :w

Indeed !!

17 hours ago, felser said:

'Full Moon Fever', 'Into The Great Wide Open', and 'Hypnotic Eye' were all top 10 albums in the UK, with 'Into The Great Wide Open' going to #3.

Wow! Into The Great Wide Open charted higher than Full Moon Fever?! That's surprising. 

When I read this, I found it very powerful. Not being able to play an instrument is a curse I've had to endure since I've been aware of myself, so him saying this is illuminating.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/ct-ent-tom-petty-dead-1003-story.html

“Music was a safe place to be,” Petty told the Tribune in 2002. “I think that in many ways I had a pretty tough childhood, and the music actually became a safe haven for me. That was where I escaped to. It really is the only true magic I’ve found in this world. Most magic is a trick of some kind. But music is actually a healing thing. It has this power to heal and inspire and to lift you right up.”

Music..is the only true magic I’ve found in this world.