Jon King

Where Art Thou Coleman Hawkins CD or Lp

43 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

Covers by Jim Flora?

Faux Flora.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m still not seeing the “one.”  Sorry to be so vague.  Fandom is sometimes burdensome, as you probably know.  Thanks for the info so far.  

I don’t know about Jim Flora.  Was he famous? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, Jon King said:

Just googled Jim Flora.  Hmmm

He is FANTASTIC!  I have many of his record covers.  In a few instances, I've actually played the records, but the covers are so good, the music cannot possibly live up to the promise.  I mean, how could you listen to a Haydn quartet with a Jim Flora cover and not be disappointed?

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

He is FANTASTIC!  I have many of his record covers.  In a few instances, I've actually played the records, but the covers are so good, the music cannot possibly live up to the promise.  I mean, how could you listen to a Haydn quartet with a Jim Flora cover and not be disappointed?

True, but the Sauter-Finegans (or Nick Travis' "The Panic is On", for instance) would be in a different league? :D
And admittedly the "faux Floras" above are at least "nice" (IMHO). ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Admittedly I'm not big into album art but these Flora covers.  . . I don't dig them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Anybody know this stuff?

Yes, it is something like the complete Coleman Hawkins bootlegged live recordings and sessions that didn't get official release: 1940-1965, certainly worth tracking down if you can.   

Edited by John L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool, thanks.

Seems like a good number of the big band broadcasts. i only have the Alamac (The Mighty Alamac) record of that. Not something that clicked right away, if you know what I mean, but I've not written it off yet, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

re: Cover art

My uncle, paint and wallpaper small business owner, once told me, "Jon, nothing happens until someone sells something." 

Might help to explain Flora's cover art from a more practical angle.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jon King said:

"...nothing happens until someone sells something." 

...and nobody sells anything until they have something to sell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

True, but the Sauter-Finegans (or Nick Travis' "The Panic is On", for instance) would be in a different league? :D
And admittedly the "faux Floras" above are at least "nice" (IMHO). ;)

SF is a mixed bag.  Some tracks are Flora-esque, and some are very square.  Their most Flora-esque track, "Science Fiction," never made it to LP!  The Nick Travis has eluded me.

5 hours ago, Jon King said:

re: Cover art

My uncle, paint and wallpaper small business owner, once told me, "Jon, nothing happens until someone sells something." 

Might help to explain Flora's cover art from a more practical angle.   

Might also help to explain Coleman Hawkins or any of the other music that interests you.

For the visually minded among us who seek to place Jim Flora in perspective, Cartoon Modern is a great book, though very pricey these days.  

https://www.amazon.com/Cartoon-Modern-Style-Design-Animation/dp/0811847314/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3O15XZ7QF576S&keywords=cartoon+modern&qid=1653689055&s=books&sprefix=cartoon+modern%2Cstripbooks%2C78&sr=1-1

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess you could crack wise about Jim Flora being the much needed antidote to the staid Alex Steinweiss, but that would be wrong! 

However...nothing lasts forever, even timeless classics. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JSngry said:

However...nothing lasts forever, even timeless classics. 

But if they had some merit to begin with, their popularity may likely be cyclical, as evidenced by the Free Design's "Love You" being used on a TV commercial now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

For the visually minded among us who seek to place Jim Flora in perspective, Cartoon Modern is a great book, though very pricey these days.  

https://www.amazon.com/Cartoon-Modern-Style-Design-Animation/dp/0811847314/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3O15XZ7QF576S&keywords=cartoon+modern&qid=1653689055&s=books&sprefix=cartoon+modern%2Cstripbooks%2C78&sr=1-1

Too bad ... If I had known abouot this book at the time I'd have loved to get a copy without hesitating (though it is U.S. cartoons only), but now it is firmly out of my affordable price range. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Too bad ... If I had known abouot this book at the time I'd have loved to get a copy without hesitating (though it is U.S. cartoons only), but now it is firmly out of my affordable price range. :(

More affordable may be the 2-volume DVD collection Mid-Century Modern Animation.  Not sure if they are readily available in your corner of the globe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 27.5.2022 at 2:57 AM, Jon King said:

Just googled Jim Flora.  Hmmm

Have these  JIM FLORA  Art books -great coverart and more

43734911yg.jpg

43734910rs.jpg

43734909eh.jpg

43734908ne.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
more text

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.