What music did you buy today?

tonym

m09637it734.jpg

A real bargain from France!

Same here! I just got a great bargain on this set a few weeks ago from the former US distributor of Oehms (Naxos of America has now taken on that role :huh: ), which was blowing out its entire Oehms stock at deep discounts. :tup

Great! I'm really looking forward to getting it. The email came this morning to say it had been dispatched.

You may have already seen this, but here is one of the glowing reviews of the set (when it was issued on Arte Nova, prior to Oehms reissuing it):

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=3448

and a follow-up on the Oehms reissue:

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=7457

By the way, as the second review mentions, there is no listing of individual tracks and timings in the booklet that comes with the box, so I just printed it off of this page and stuck it in the box! :)

BMG has a Haitink/Concertgebouw Bruckner set on Phillips - 9 cd's for $29 - anybody heard this or have an opinion of it? Worth picking up?

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some recent acquisitions/arrivals (used or after x-mas sales):

Mat Mathews - The Modern Art of Jazz (Dawn)

Stan Getz/Gerry Mulligan/Harry Edison/Oscar Peterson Trio with Buddy Rich - Jazz Giants '58 (Verve)

Gene Ammons/Sonny Stitt - Boss Tenors In Orbit (Verve)

Vienna Art Orchestra - the 3CD anniversary box

the Complete Nocturne Recordings, Vol. 1 3CD set (Fresh Sound - lovely done, for a change!)

a Pieranunzi/Johnson/Baron w/Kenny Wheeler disc (CAMjazz)

Ulrich Gumpert Quintette (Intakt)

and some Blue Note soon-to-be-OOP-titles:

Jazz Crusaders - the 90s release of one of the Lighthouse albums

Cannonball Adderley - Domination

Frank Foster - Manhattan Fever

John Lewis, West Coast/East Coast Encounter (Gambit)

What's on that one as filler?

It runs to 78 mins, combining 2 Degrees East 3 Degrees West with The Modern Jazz Sextet (Lewis/Gillespie/Stitt), so the latter is now on my disposal list if anyone's interested!

Conte Candoli Quintet with Bill Holman and Lou Levy, Complete Recordings (Definitive)

Got on to this one through Marc Myers' excellent jazzwax blog. It combines Powerhouse Trumpet, which I already have, with West Coast Wailers, which I've never heard before. Same line-up, recorded a month apart. Absolutely great stuff, and my copy of Powerhouse Trumpet is now surplus to requirements. Anyone interested?

Got the remainder of my Blue Note deletions order in today

412TYMQ7E4L._SS400_.jpg

Dakota Staton & George Shearing - In the night - Capitol

41km9vcYVCL._SS400_.jpg

Horace Silver - You gotta take a little love - BN RVG

Silver,Horace_In%20Pursuit%20Of%20The%2027th%20Man_724353575823.jpg

Horace Silver - In pursuit of the 27th man - BN RVG

Really enjoyed the Staton/Shearing - half instrumentals and much the best late fifties Shearing I've come across (he's not someone I actually seek out).

The two Silvers are fine. I have the feeling that Horace never really went anywhere after the mid sixties, but it's less noticeable on these than on his later albums. And there's no Andy Bey, thank goodness!

MG

Got Stit's Bits: Sonny Stitt The Bebop Recordings, 1949-1952 today at (sob!) the Streetlight Records on 24th in Noe Valley that's slated to close soon (choke!)

Only $16. I've seen it on sale here and there before, but always with a note that the liner note booklet was missing. THIS one had the booklet.

Edited by BruceH