tonym

What music did you buy today?

8,578 posts in this topic

Ordered a used LP from discogs today.

R-6871076-1613502923-3548.jpeg.jpg

I'm seriously thinking about ordering this CD today too... anyone want to talk me out of it?

R-5701817-1426576707-6031.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, bresna said:

Ordered a used LP from discogs today.

R-6871076-1613502923-3548.jpeg.jpg

I'm seriously thinking about ordering this CD today too... anyone want to talk me out of it?

R-5701817-1426576707-6031.jpeg.jpg

Nope - it's just fine. In fact, I may play it today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2022 at 5:59 PM, HutchFan said:

He's made a few as a leader.  Per wikipedia:

  • The Camel (SteepleChase, 1975)
  • Antiquity with Jackie McLean (SteepleChase, 1975)
  • First Time (Muse, 1988)
  • Between Me and You (Muse, 1989)
  • Revelation (Muse, 1991)
  • Each One Teach One (Muse, 1994)
  • Drum Concerto at Dawn (Mapleshade, 1996)
  • Marsalis Music Honors Michael Carvin (Marsalis Music/Rounder, 2006)
  • Flash Forward (Motema, 2014)

Ooof, knew about the co-leader date with Jackie; embarrassed to not know the others. 

To support my local record store (Record Den!) Don Ellis Orchestra LP with that crazy fraction on PJ and Joe Zawinul, The Rise and Fall of the Third Stream with Money in the Pocket as a bonus LP (Rhino). Bought my daughter the latest Def Tones record. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OGJB Quartet: Ode To O (Tum CD)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Countryman, Rick: The First Bird

Toyozumi, Sabu / Rick Countryman / Simon Tan / Isla Antinero / Stella Ignacio: The Search for the Fi

Toyozumi, Sabu / Rick Countryman: I Am Village

Toyozumi, Sabu / Rick Countryman: Misaki Castle Tower

Parker, William: Voices Fall From The Sky [3 CD BOX SET]

Bradford, Bobby / Frode Gjerstad / Kent Carter / John Stevens: Blue Cat [VINYL]

Abe, Kaoru / Sabu Toyozumi: Mannyoka

Ming Bau Set (feat Gerry Hemingway / Vera Baumann / Florestan Berset): Yakut's Gallop

El'Zabar, Kahil Quartet: A Time for Healing

Talmor, Ohad Trio (w/ Dan Weiss / Miles Okazaki): Mise en place

 

squidco is having a 19th anniversary sale, and if you order 10 items you get 19% off. Filled in the gaps in my Rick Countryman collection finally got the Parker set and Bradford record. Most excited for the Ming Bau Set based on the samples. It sounds fascinating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to Atlantis in Hackney Central. I picked up Smack Up by Art Pepper and Give and Take by John Lindberg. Very good prices - like ten years ago.

Lots of good FMP stuff in there at the moment (Globe Unity etc.) for any London based forum members.

Edited by Rabshakeh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Went to Atlantis in Hackney Central. I picked up Smack Up by Art Pepper and Give and Take by John Lindberg. Very good prices - like ten years ago.

Lots of good FMP stuff in there at the moment (Globe Unity etc.) for any London based forum members.

That's interesting, thanks. They've been adding tons of stuff if their Instagram posts are anything to go by. Shop looks fantastically haphazard too, like ten years ago perhaps.

That's a nice Lindberg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

That's interesting, thanks. They've been adding tons of stuff if their Instagram posts are anything to go by. Shop looks fantastically haphazard too, like ten years ago perhaps.

That's a nice Lindberg

It really has the old crate digging feel. Random but good stock and not expensive (£18 for the two, both in excellent condition, which is good for East these days). I'd never been there but a non-jazz DJ friend was raving about it, and it's really not far from me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

It really has the old crate digging feel. Random but good stock and not expensive (£18 for the two, both in excellent condition, which is good for East these days). I'd never been there but a non-jazz DJ friend was raving about it, and it's really not far from me. 

That is keen pricing indeed, I need to make a trip.

When I did a Google Maps search there were something like 5 other record shops highlighted on the same page. Hackney is vinyl heaven these days.  Must apply for my hipster passport...:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kahil El'Zabar Quartet: A Time For Healing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

That is keen pricing indeed, I need to make a trip.

When I did a Google Maps search there were something like 5 other record shops highlighted on the same page. Hackney is vinyl heaven these days.  Must apply for my hipster passport...:D

Interested to know the other ones. There's one close by on Graham Rd, but it's not much. Old school feel but very modern price and so so stock.

The new one that I love is Idle Moments on Columbia Road, which is a joint venture between a wine shop and a tokyo record shop. Lots of Japanese jazz and fusion and US / European stuff that went well in the Tokyo market, plus Japanese pressings. Price is normal - not massive. Sadly not a shop to visit on a Sunday, given what the flower market has become.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Interested to know the other ones. There's one close by on Graham Rd, but it's not much. Old school feel but very modern price and so so stock.

The new one that I love is Idle Moments on Columbia Road, which is a joint venture between a wine shop and a tokyo record shop. Lots of Japanese jazz and fusion and US / European stuff that went well in the Tokyo market, plus Japanese pressings. Price is normal - not massive. Sadly not a shop to visit on a Sunday, given what the flower market has become.

I think VDS is great too. The flower market was crazy 30 years ago when I stopped going because it was too busy  Doing the search again you get these - Kristina (used to be in Dalston I remember), Tome, Lion Coffee & Records, Jelly Records, Lobster Records, Vinyl Pimp.  I guess a couple could be labels thinking about it now

And moving slightly beyond the initial search map there's Harry's Record Shop, Play Vinyl, Love Vinyl, Stranger Than Paradise. I know the last two

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I think VDS is great too. The flower market was crazy 30 years ago when I stopped going because it was too busy  Doing the search again you get these - Kristina (used to be in Dalston I remember), Tome, Lion Coffee & Records, Jelly Records, Lobster Records, Vinyl Pimp.  I guess a couple could be labels thinking about it now

And moving slightly beyond the initial search map there's Harry's Record Shop, Play Vinyl, Love Vinyl, Stranger Than Paradise. I know the last two

Tome is the Graham Rd one. I'll check out the others. I hadn't realised that VDS was the name of the Idle Moments one.

Edited by Rabshakeh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

cGVn.jpeg

the 2021 reissue

Interested to know how you find it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two Newport Allstars LPs due to arrive shortly; primarily for Pee Wee Russell:

R-3692236-1551476620-5568.jpeg.jpg

and

R-11037394-1508700540-3099.jpeg.jpg

Wish I would've gotten the Mosaic Single of this album, but I never got around to it.  Oh well.  This LP only set me back a few bucks.

 

This record is also on its way:

R-2513420-1557065516-8225.jpeg.jpg

Filling in some Mongo gaps.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ZWc.jpeg

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Interested to know how you find it.

I streamed some of it before pulling the trigger. Sounds interesting and the Coltrane album is really hitting the spot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oliver Nelson - Nocturne (OJC). I picked up a CD copy from discogs. I've been meaning to pick this up for a while but the thread on Moodsville releases got me to thinking about it again.

MDU0NC5qcGVn.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-11037394-1508700540-3099.jpeg.jpg

Wish I would've gotten the Mosaic Single of this album, but I never got around to it.  Oh well.  This LP only set me back a few bucks.

Looks like it's pretty available online via 2ndary markets like discogs. Don Lamond beats the hell out of that kick drum at times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Looks like it's pretty available online via 2ndary markets like discogs. Don Lamond beats the hell out of that kick drum at times. 

Good idea. If I enjoy the LP, maybe I'll seek out the CD. :tup 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just ordered these classical CDs from a favorite discogs reseller:

517-IHrB+nL.jpg
Franz Schubert: Lieder - The Hyperion Schubert Edition 15 / Margaret Price, Graham Johnson (Hyperion)

 

8198UQVQ+qL._SX500_.jpg
Johannes Brahms: Ein Deutsches Requiem; Alto Rhapsody / Bruno Walter, NYPO, Columbia SO, et al (Sony)

 

71uew+Y8rNL._SS500_.jpg
Arnold Bax: Sym. No. 6; Festival Ovt. / Bryden Thomson, LPO (Chandos)

 

71j9s7pO0NL._SX500_.jpg
Robert Simpson: Syms. Nos. 2 & 4 / Vernon Handley, Bournemouth SO (Hyperion)

 


61bzyu0I0LL.jpg
Vagn Holmboe: Symphonies Nos. 1, 3, 10 / O.A.Hughes, Aarhus SO (BIS)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Just ordered these classical CDs from a favorite discogs reseller:

517-IHrB+nL.jpg
Franz Schubert: Lieder - The Hyperion Schubert Edition 15 / Margaret Price, Graham Johnson (Hyperion)

 

8198UQVQ+qL._SX500_.jpg
Johannes Brahms: Ein Deutsches Requiem; Alto Rhapsody / Bruno Walter, NYPO, Columbia SO, et al (Sony)

 

71uew+Y8rNL._SS500_.jpg
Arnold Bax: Sym. No. 6; Festival Ovt. / Bryden Thomson, LPO (Chandos)

 

71j9s7pO0NL._SX500_.jpg
Robert Simpson: Syms. Nos. 2 & 4 / Vernon Handley, Bournemouth SO (Hyperion)

 


61bzyu0I0LL.jpg
Vagn Holmboe: Symphonies Nos. 1, 3, 10 / O.A.Hughes, Aarhus SO (BIS)

👍+👍+👍+👍+👍 ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Albert Ayler: La Cave (ezz-thetics 2 CD release)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided not to buy this one. . . I have it in the Revenent "Holy Ghost" box and I'm not insanely fond of the new ezz-thetics mastering "house sound."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.