October 2004 Connoisseur Release (Proposed)

Kevin Bresnahan

By the way, I sure the heck hope they DON'T use this cover for the Conn. And I'm sure they probably won't. There are a few of those Japanese King covers that I really do like, but the King of the Hill is pretty much a looser in my book. :tdown

:blink:

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like that Hill session. Nice stuff. Its inclusion in the list was predictable, of course.

I wonder what its cover looks like - all I have is a CDr of an LP which a kind friend sent me.

I don't know if I agree with the predictable aspect of this... I had been told that Hill doesn't like "Dance With Death" and asked that it didn't get reissued. I was pretty surprised when I saw this on the list.

As for the cover art, they will be designing one for "Dance With Death". I guess BN would only budget artwork development for one title so the Ervin got the axe.

BTW, the other reason they chose to axe the Ervin over the Hill would be that (sadly) Booker doesn't sell well at all. Apparently never has and still doesn't. I never understood this. I love his stuff.

Also, if they do reissue that Ervin date, I would really doubt it would be titled "Back From the Gig". That was Horace Parlan's date and just happened to be combined as a two-fer on LP with this Ervin session. I'm betting it'll be called "Quintet". The song titles kinda suck as LP titles. I once created artwork for my CD-R and called it "In A Capricorian Way" as a joke. :)

Later,

Kevin

Horace Silver – The United States Of Mind 2 CD - all three albums

Andrew Hill – Dance With Death - includes alt of title track

Jack Wilson – Easterly Winds

Larry Young – Of Love and Peace

Sam Rivers – Contours - includes alt of Mellifluous Cacophony

Bobby Hutcherson – Now! - Includes Hutcherson's set from "Blue Note Meets The LA Philharmonic" which includes different versions of three of the tunes from NOW

I am pretty excited about all of these. The line-up for the live Hutch tracks looks pretty good, although I have never heard the original version of Now. The Silver will be what it is, but I am sure there is some worthwhile music tucked away. I love the Hill, have had it on lp for years. The Young will be nice - not my favorite by him, but it defintiely worth hearing/owning. The Wilson is probably the only one I am "just OK" with. I have the TOCJ and while I love most of his stuff, this one doesn't quite "catch" for me, Morgan notwithstanding. Still ... a big ole HOORAY!

Eric

Good news all around for me on these reissues.

I'll pass on the Horace Silver and on "Easterly Winds." I've got the JRVG of the latter and am always happy with JRVG sonics.

Sad about missing on Booker. I love his stuff.

Hill would be a good substitute, nevertheless.

Overall, a good batch, I think.

By the way, I sure the heck hope they DON'T use this cover for the Conn.  And I'm sure they probably won't.  There are a few of those Japanese King covers that I really do like, but the King of the Hill is pretty much a looser in my book.  :tdown

I mean the cover of the King (of the Hill). Not the session itself (which I like), but the King version of the cover (which I only just saw for the first time today, and which I don't think is all that hot).

Does anyone know if the Wilson Easterly Winds Conn. will include additional material not available on the TOCJ disc?

It shouldn't (if I remember right). I don't have the TOCJ or JRVG (never heard the date before, actually), but I remember looking this one up in my complete BN discography once - and there were no alternates nor extra tunes recorded at this date.

Looks like another great list of Conn.'s.... I would say that I will go for these:

Horace Silver – The United States Of Mind 2 CD - all three albums

Andrew Hill – Dance With Death - includes alt of title track

Jack Wilson – Easterly Winds

Larry Young – Of Love and Peace

Sam Rivers – Contours - includes alt of Mellifluous Cacophony

Have a little trepedation for the Silver because I am not overly fond of his late stuff but I can't wait for the rest of these. The Conn batch the last time was great IMHO.

By the way, I sure the heck hope they DON'T use this cover for the Conn.  And I'm sure they probably won't.  There are a few of those Japanese King covers that I really do like, but the King of the Hill is pretty much a looser in my book.   :tdown

I mean the cover of the King (of the Hill). Not the session itself (which I like), but the King version of the cover (which I only just saw for the first time today, and which I don't think is all that hot).

I know what you mean. I still find that :blink:

Great news all round as far as I am concerned. I already have the JTVG of Easterly Winds so I will wait to check whether this is worth me making money on ebay :lol:

I am also looking forward to a new copy of dance with death which I have a copy of but would prefer an original. :P

I will also get all the rest except the Rivers and the Young which I have on Mosaic and they are more than good enough for me.

Welcome back to the horace silvers though. :wI gotta have a little talk with my stomach ..... :bwallace: