• Topics

• In English, they're SMURFs.  The instrumentation is actually Chick Corea (el-p, p), Joe Farrell (saxes & fl), Eddie Gomez (b), and Steve Gadd (d). I like the record. It's nothing earth-shattering, but -- like the title implies -- it's a relaxed, enjoyable session.       Giving this another spin: Association P.C. - Erna Morena (MPS, 1973) This band was led by drummer Pierre Courbois, but -- for this listener -- Jasper van 't Hof is the hero of this album.   
    • Gheorghe,  Muse couldn't compete with the "majors" in terms of paying musicians.  (In fact, Tommy Flanagan refused to record for Muse because of Joe Fields' notorious miserliness.) Regardless, the Muse catalog is full of important records by important jazz musicians: Woody Shaw, Pat Martino, Richard Davis, James Moody, Mickey Tucker, Jaki Byard, Sam Jones, Lester Bowie, Hank Jones, "Fathead" Newman, Cedar Walton, Buster Williams, Louis Hayes, Willis Jackson, Roy Brooks, Don Patterson, "Groove" Holmes, Carlos Garnett, Joe Bonner, Clifford Jordan, Mark Murphy, Barry Altschul, and on and on and on. I think one could make a solid argument that Muse and ECM are the two most vital labels of the 1970s -- in terms of documenting a wide range of jazz artists and styles.  Just by virtue of the size of their respective catalogs, those two labels played a huge role in capturing the sounds of those years.  
    • Great record, maybe a bit "too much of everything", but hey, fantastic cast of German and English "new wave" players, very light shade of jazz-rock, a bit trippy, a bit funky here and there. But I highly recommend his next album - "Lift". New line-up, new approach, even more colorful and diverse, some great compositions and top-notch soloing. This one in now on my Hi-Fi - "Never Let It End" by Albert Mangelsdorff Quartet, one of the many, many great recordings of Albert as a leader. The year is 1970 and oh my, what the heck is going on here? You may think a quartet will deliver some more or less predictable tunes, but not this crew. Listen to the title track, which is simply a great benchmark of incredible aura on this LP. I know this record for years and I'm stunned to this day how modern sound it has. I guess someone could play it and tell it's some record from any contemporary free-jazz label, like Trost, NotTwo or some new group by Paal Nilsen-Love  
    • Kenny Dorham is in fine form on this album