Coltrane - Live at Newport '63-65 with unreleased cut

DMP

Does anyone know anything about this (out this week)? I'm assuming it's Impulse material that's been out, but maybe all in one place? (The '63 Newport "My Favorite Things" - the one with Roy Haynes that originally appeared on "Selflessness" - is maybe my favorite version of the many available.)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the track list, it looks like it is the first three tracks from the Newport '63 cd (Chasin' Another Trane has evidently been excluded) plus the two Coltrane tracks from the New Thing at Newport CD. I'm sure the last three tracks are from the New Thing cd because of the Norman O'Connor introduction.

In a word: Lame.

Based on the track list, it looks like it is the first three tracks from the Newport '63 cd (Chasin' Another Trane has evidently been excluded) plus the two Coltrane tracks from the New Thing at Newport CD. I'm sure the last three tracks are from the New Thing cd because of the Norman O'Connor introduction.

What's lame about it? Seems to make sense to me, given that 'Chasin'' was from the 1961 Vanguard sessions and had nothing to do with Newport.

What's lame about it? Seems to make sense to me, given that 'Chasin'' was from the 1961 Vanguard sessions and had nothing to do with Newport.

The lame part is repackaging material that any interested party already has in an effort to get some percentage of them to, knowingly or unknowingly, repurchase it.

Impulse! snuck this one out today - I hadn't heard anything about it. Previously unreleased 23:30 of "Impressions" from the '63 Newport festival? Yeah, that's of interest to me (and one or two others, I bet :rolleyes:)

John Coltrane - My Favorite Things: Coltrane at Newport

Release Date Jul 3, 2007

Recording Date Jul 7, 1963-Jul 2, 1965

Label Impulse

Review by Steve Leggett

John Coltrane appeared at the Newport Jazz Festival on five different occasions, the first in 1958 as a member of Miles Davis' Kind of Blue-era sextet. As a bandleader, Coltrane performed at the festival in 1961, 1963, 1965 and 1966, and it is the middle two sets that are combined here on this intriguing release. The 1963 band was a variation on Coltrane's classic quartet (Coltrane on tenor sax, McCoy Tyner on piano, Elvin Jones on drums and Jimmy Garrison on bass) with veteran drummer Roy Haynes sitting in for Jones, who was unable to be in attendance. Jones was back in the drum chair for the 1965 appearance, while Coltrane's final Newport showing in 1966 found him working with an entirely different band that included his wife Alice Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders. Since Coltrane did lengthy versions of his signature arrangement of "My Favorite Things" in both 1963 and 1965 (he did it in 1966, as well), it's impossible not to compare the approach of the two different drummers. Haynes has a lighter, skittering touch that gives the piece a kind of airiness while Jones is all power and propulsion which makes for a more ambiguous and ominous feel. Both versions are striking, but the real treat here is the 23 minute and change take on "Impressions" from 1963, which has never before been released in its entirety (an edited version was released in 1978). Here Coltrane and Haynes trade phrases and percussive glides after Tyner and Garrison lay out what is a truly wonderful dialogue between two veteran jazz musicians. There's little doubt that the quartet hits with more raw power with Jones driving it, but here Haynes' contribution is perfect for the moment. Taken together, the 1963 and 1965 sets make a nice whole, and having two great drummers with slightly different approaches only underscores how complete Coltrane's vision was at this point in his career.

Tracks

Title

Composer

Time

1 I Want to Talk About You Eckstine 9:41

2 My Favorite Things Hammerstein, Rodgers 17:20

3 Impressions [#] Coltrane 23:30

4 Introduction by Father Norman O'Connor 1:08

5 One Down, One Up Coltrane 12:43

6 My Favorite Things Hammerstein, Rodgers 15:13

2007 CD Impulse 9076

I saw it today for $9.99 so I bought it. I haven't listened to it yet. There is an essay by Ashley Kahn (is he the official Coltrane writer now??).

If so, it's a shame. David Wild was much better.

Once someone picks this up, they should do an A/B with the original. It wouldn't surprise me if they edited out the bass and drum solos.

Guy

Now is that unedited "Impressions" reason enough to get this and sell my 1993 Impulse CD?

And, why didn't they include the complete version in 1993? There's sufficient space left on the CD ...

They got to hold something back in the vaults so that they can later reissue the material in a new, indespensible format...

Verve has really mastered the art of crass marketing. Next up: Coltrane at Newport for After Dinner on a Second Date.

Now is that unedited "Impressions" reason enough to get this and sell my 1993 Impulse CD?

And, why didn't they include the complete version in 1993? There's sufficient space left on the CD ...

They got to hold something back in the vaults so that they can later reissue the material in a new, indespensible format...

Verve has really mastered the art of crass marketing. Next up: Coltrane at Newport for After Dinner on a Second Date.

Maybe Ravi deserves some credit for the full version coming out now.

That could be, but I think we've just seen too much of this kind of crap from Verve for me to give them the benefit of the doubt. Yes, they did manage to reissue a lot of important and even surprising stuff in the mid-to-late 90s - I know I once eagerly anticipated each new batch of Impulse reissues - but I do think that over the last several years they have really been jerking their customers around.

Edited by J Larsen

according to the liner notes, the '66 set wasn't recorded by Impulse. Also, there is no mention anywhere of Ravi Coltrane in the credits

Ravi wouldn't have anything to do with this as the material is all already owned by Verve. They need neither his permission nor involvement to reissue material long in their vaults.

By the way, the reason this one has come out is simply that the original three track masters were located, giving Verve the opportunity to remix and produce a completely new master using the original tapes for the first time.

And the sound is simply AMAZING - incredibly full, detailed and robust with all the stage ambience and air around Coltrane's horn intact, and amazing representation of what is, in the case of the 1963 material, essential Coltrane.

Too bad there are some stupid asswipes who like to complain and knock without having even a slight clue. This one is lisdting DIRT cheap - I paid $10 for mine.

So let's see...$10 for a new remix of drop dead great material with an unreleased track to boot - and some people still complain.

No wonder the music industry is dying.

Hey, if there are any MUSIC fans out there who know a bit about Coltrane (and know that the '63 Newport smokes) - and if you can afford $10 - this one is a killer.

MAJOR kudos to Verve for putting this out andf spending the $$ to get the masters and remix - and fuck the naysayers!

By the way, the reason this one has come out is simply that the original three track masters were located, giving Verve the opportunity to remix and produce a completely new master using the original tapes for the first time.

And the sound is simply AMAZING - incredibly full, detailed and robust with all the stage ambience and air around Coltrane's horn intact, and amazing representation of what is, in the case of the 1963 material, essential Coltrane.

Too bad there are some stupid asswipes who like to complain and knock without having even a slight clue. This one is lisdting DIRT cheap - I paid $10 for mine.

So let's see...$10 for a new remix of drop dead great material with an unreleased track to boot - and some people still complain.

Hey, if there are any MUSIC fans out there who know a bit about Coltrane (and know that the '63 Newport smokes) - and if you can afford $10 - this one is a killer.

MAJOR kudos to Verve for putting this out andf spending the $$ to get the masters and remix - and fuck the naysayers!

Great news, I'll buy this one immediately - and how often anymore do we get to say "major kudos to Verve"? This is an event.

Here's my earlier post on this CD from the reissues page:

Too bad there are some stupid asswipes who like to complain and knock without having even a slight clue. This one is listing DIRT cheap - I paid $10 for mine.

MAJOR kudos to Verve for putting this out and spending the $$ to get the masters and remix - and fuck the naysayers!

And...anyone who thinks this qualifies as lame simply needs to have their heads examined.

And also...the 1961 Newport performance was not recorded, so it would be a bit difficult to have included it, but sure, I guess Verve should have tried. And the '66 performance was not recorded by Impulse, if there are tapes of it, they are with the Coltrane family or elsewhere. And that performance is at least an hour long - would have been tough to include on this disc, but I know...$10 is a lot for some people to pay for such limited material...right? Complain on.

Too bad there are some stupid asswipes who like to complain and knock without having even a slight clue. This one is listing DIRT cheap - I paid $10 for mine.

MAJOR kudos to Verve for putting this out and spending the $$ to get the masters and remix - and fuck the naysayers!

And...anyone who thinks this qualifies as lame simply needs to have their heads examined.

Wow, what a complete fucking asshole.

I've probably bought around 2,000 cds over the last 10 years, and I'm the reason the music industry is dying. Why don't you get the slightest clue about who/what you are posting about before you go around throwing words like "asswipe" around?

Some of us have been weary of (or even insulted by) Universal/Verve's cynical marketing methods for years, and see no need to give them the benefit of the doubt, ESPECIALLY when it comes to new repackagings of material by major artists (where they tend to stoop the lowest).

Off I go to figure out that "ignore" feature...

Wow, what a complete fucking asshole.

I've probably bought around 2,000 cds over the last 10 years, and I'm the reason the music industry is dying. Why don't you get the slightest clue about who/what you are posting about before you go around throwing words like "asswipe" around?

Some of us have been weary of (or even insulted by) Universal/Verve's cynical marketing methods for years, and see no need to give them the benefit of the doubt, ESPECIALLY when it comes to new repackagings of material by major artists (where they tend to stoop the lowest).

Off I go to figure out that "ignore" feature...

A complete fucking asshole is someone who calls something "lame" without having the slightest clue about what they're talking about.

Alternative definition - any wimp who calls someone a "fucking asshole" on an otherwise civil internet board. Real men don't do anything online they wouldn't do face to face.

Too bad any fool with a computer can post his stupidity online. Anyways, my mistake, I wasn't aiming my comments at you (I know, you probably assume anytime someone uses the term "asswipe" they mean you) but really at music lovers who should not let the comments of a few dimwits prevent them for getting a great, bargain priced release of kick-ass music in superb sound.

And yes, it's people like you - numbnuts who post DEAD WRONG information without having ANY IDEA AT ALL about the title in question that give otherwise sincere potential buyers the wrong idea about a title that causes them to decide not to buy. An unfortunate byproduct of the internet era is that it gives even those with nothing to contribute the ability to damage a product, and that has indeed contributed to labels only playing it very safe...and to declining sales.

Edited by robert h.