wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

46,784 posts in this topic

On 14/04/2021 at 1:24 PM, bresna said:

Bill Evans - How My Heart Sings! (Riverside/OJC)

R-2466823-1285639863.jpeg.jpg

:tup

Posted (edited)

This again:

91PfDmdfzbL._SS600_.jpg

EDIT: 
Just finished listening to Tate's version of "Isfahan," the first cut on Side 2.  I had to get up and move the tonearm back to the beginning to listen again.  Wow.  Tate doesn't erase memories of Johnny Hodges' way with this tune -- no one can! -- but Tate can take a proud spot right up there beside Hodges on Olympus when it comes to this song.  That is no mean feat.

16 hours ago, Brad said:

94994323-351A-4B76-9A15-BB95A915323C.jpeg

:tup:tup:tup

Edited by HutchFan

T.P. Orchestre Poly Rythmo De Cotonou, Unite AfricaineCD, LP, Vinyl record album cover art

R-4832321-1376901477-4961.jpeg.jpg

Great music + Superb sidemen + Excellent AQ = Prime Kenny Barron

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

T.P. Orchestre Poly Rythmo De Cotonou - Unité Africaine

CD, LP, Vinyl record album cover art

Wow! Just pulled this out of the package an hour ago!

Some  big band jazz from Canada

40996287yr.jpg

40996289yq.jpg

40996288vk.jpg

NP:

R-2644258-1310678195.jpeg.jpg

Paquito D'Rivera - Mariel (Columbia, 1982)

Strange that this LP has never been reissued on CD.  I think BGO should package up Paquito's Columbia records just like they did Arthur Blythe's. 

3 hours ago, kh1958 said:

T.P. Orchestre Poly Rythmo De Cotonou, Unite AfricaineCD, LP, Vinyl record album cover art

A fantastic band for sure ....

10 hours ago, rostasi said:

Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure that I have the original of that.

Here's the two I just took out of the package:

V2tfuQF.jpg

I saw them live a few years back. On of my most treasured live music experiences.

Posted (edited)

CmLWBE2.jpg

Edited by rostasi

Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Orchestra, Central Park North (Solid State)

Image result for thad jones me lewis central parkMelvin Sparks, Sparks (Prestige)Image result for Melvin Sparks sparksImage result for gary mcfarland october suite

Gary McFarland/Steve Kuhn, The October Suite (Impulse)

Webster Lewis Quintet ‎– Live At Kongsberg Jazz 1971 [191/250]

Alto Saxophone – Bobby Greene

Drums – Jimmy Hopps

Organ – Webster Lewis

Tenor Saxophone, Flute – Stan Strickland

Vocals – Judd Watkins

1hkaIoB.jpg

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

Image result for gary mcfarland october suite

Gary McFarland/Steve Kuhn, The October Suite (Impulse)

Outstanding ....

Horace Silver - Further Explorations of the Horace Silver Quintet (Blue Note/Tone Poet).

Horace Silver - Further Explorations (Blue Note Tone Poet Series) [LP] -  Amazon.com Music

This may be one of my last Tone Poet buys. Sound is very good but as I've been buying more & more of these, I'm remembering how damn inconvenient LPs are. Even with the purchase of a second turntable for my upstairs listening space, I still have to "make time" to play these damn things. It's so much easier to drop a CD into a tray and hit "Play" and even easier to load up my playlist on my PC and never have to get up again. I guess I'm getting too lazy for vinyl. :)

Booker Ervin - The In Between (Blue Note). As much as I like Booker, this doesn't seem to come off the shelf very often. "Typical Booker" might be the best descriptor. I was once told by a musician that Booker only has two solos - a slow one and a fast one. Maybe this is one of those dates where that is more evident?

The In Between - Booker Ervin | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

Weird about this Booker Ervin LP... the lead-in groove area seems smaller than usual. I found myself dropping the needle into music on both sides. I had to drop it almost on the edge to get the lead-in.

50 minutes ago, bresna said:

Booker Ervin - The In Between (Blue Note). As much as I like Booker, this doesn't seem to come off the shelf very often. "Typical Booker" might be the best descriptor. I was once told by a musician that Booker only has two solos - a slow one and a fast one. Maybe this is one of those dates where that is more evident?

I thought that line was Chuck's?

2 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I thought that line was Chuck's?

I think I heard it first from Danny D'Imperio.

Noah Preminger - Some Other Time (Newvelle Records). I got this from Noah at a local gig. Damn expensive record, even from Noah. Not a huge fan of Ben Monder's echo-drenched guitar but a small complaint. Most of the tunes are taken at a leisurely pace. Weirdly oversized LP jacket. It barely fits into my LP rack and won't fit into any LP sleeve I have.

R-9663786-1484407422-3243.jpeg.jpg

I wish that NewVelle sold Frank Fimbrough's "Meantime" by itself. I'd like to have that one.

1 hour ago, bresna said:

That's my favorite Booker album. Tunes, playing, BN sound, Bobby Few. And tempos. Those are my favorite tempos on a Booker record.

Well, maybe not my only favorite, there's also the Candid record. But, one of two, then.

As far as Booker having two solos, sure, yeah, why not, but...ok, then what? Then he plays one of those (allegedly) two solos and...it's all good, right?

If not, don't blame him.

In Between & Structurally Sound are great Booker albums IMO, both from BN. 

Don Patterson - Mellow Soul (Prestige). Green label with Van Gelder in the dead wax. Weird notations on the back of this used LP. Side 2 has the first track, "Mellow Soul", circled in red pen with the word "House" written next to the track number and 5 gold ink dots on top of a second "House" written next to the title. The second track on Side 2, "Head", is circled in black ink and there are 6 gold ink dots next to that. There is also the word "Paly" (Maybe meant to be "Play"?) with arrows pointing to the track "Head" and the third track on Side 2, "These Foolish Things". Must be some sort of DJ lingo.

Mellow Soul - Wikipedia

50 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

In Between & Structurally Sound are great Booker albums IMO, both from BN. 

Structurally Sound was from Pacific Jazz, produced by Richard Bock, same as Booker 'n' Brass. Booker only got moved to Blue Note post merger, but his contract was originally with PJ.

Now, Texbook Tenor, that was another fine, FINE one from BN, I forgot about that one.

30 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Structurally Sound was from Pacific Jazz, produced by Richard Bock, same as Booker 'n' Brass. Booker only got moved to Blue Note post merger, but his contract was originally with PJ.

Now, Texbook Tenor, that was another fine, FINE one from BN, I forgot about that one.

I have Structurally Sound on a BN Conn CD so that's the reason for my confusion on that.