miles65

Teddy Wilson set on last chance

32 posts in this topic

Just got an e-mail that the Teddy Wilson set is on last chance.

The Lester Young/Count Basie set made a come back just as the Woody Herman Decca, Mars, MGM set. These come backs are usualy short lived.

If you don't have them it's time to pull the trigger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm happy with this:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shelf room being made for the Joe Henderson set? April is right around the corner...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I'm happy with this:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%

Think I've never seen this. IIRC there was a Columbia Teddy Wilson twofer that was released only in Canada.  (No idea why.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I'm happy with this:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%

Love that cover art/design. And I bet the SQ is great too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, medjuck said:

Think I've never seen this. IIRC there was a Columbia Teddy Wilson twofer that was released only in Canada.  (No idea why.) 

I had a copy of the Canadian issue with a Brunswick label on the cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no problem with the alternate takes, but there seems to be a lot of vocals which give me pause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just ordered a copy from Jazz Messengers. I would hate to miss that one ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

Love that cover art/design. And I bet the SQ is great too. 

Seems to have been done by the same artist (art department?) that did the Bessie Smith series, maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

46 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I had a copy of the Canadian issue with a Brunswick label on the cover.

IIRC (and I often don't) Brunswick was a subsidiary of Columbia, though maybe it was a subsidiary of Decca.  Also, IIRC, the late John Norris had something to do with convincing them to release it. 

15 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Seems to have been done by the same artist (art department?) that did the Bessie Smith series, maybe?

And (I think)  the Charlie Christian twofer Lp.  I don 't have a turntable but I kept that  just because I like the look of it. ( I also like the extended versions of  songs that our  Chris Albertson created by combining the solos from different takes-- though I managed to digitize them so that I'm really just keeping the album for the cover. )

Edited by medjuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Seems to have been done by the same artist (art department?) that did the Bessie Smith series, maybe?

This one?

R-2170904-1307128765.jpeg.jpg

If so, it's John Berg, who did all of the Miles 80s albums too. Some nice work in this guy's portfolio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, medjuck said:

IIRC (and I often don't) Brunswick was a subsidiary of Columbia, though maybe it was a subsidiary of Decca.  Also, IIRC, the late John Norris had something to do with convincing them to release it. 

And (I think)  the Charlie Christian twofer Lp.  I don 't have a turntable but I kept that  just because I like the look of it. ( I also like the extended versions of  songs that our  Chris Albertson created by combining the solos from different takes-- though I managed to digitize them so that I'm really just keeping the album for the cover. )

Brunswick/Vocalion was an independent record company until end 1930. Bought by Warner Brothers to press records for their talking movies system that din’t make it. They leased the labels to ARC (Columbia/Okeh now Sony under the provision that a minimum number of records be sold. In 1940 they failed and the labels returned to WB who then sold them to Decca (now Universal) Decca also bought the pre late 1930 recordings. The recordings made by ARC stayed with ARC. The Columbia and Okeh label made a come back at that point.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Love that cover art/design. And I bet the SQ is great too. 

SQ is very good.  The only issue is that Columbia squeezed 8 tracks to a side.  Columbia did that as well as, if not better than, anyone else, but the volume is low as a result.  Just turn it up, no biggie.  This twofer was U.S. Columbia CG 31617.  I got it not too long ago from Dusty Groove for a good price.  If you're shopping, be aware that there is a different Chiaroscuro date with the same title.

3 minutes ago, miles65 said:

Brunswick/Vocalion was an independent record company until end 1930. Bought by Warner Brothers to press records for their talking movies system that din’t make it. They leased the labels to ARC (Columbia/Okeh now Sony under the provision that a minimum number of records be sold. In 1940 they failed and the labels returned to WB who then sold them to Decca (now Universal) Decca also bought the pre late 1930 recordings. The recordings made by ARC stayed with ARC. The Columbia and Okeh label made a come back at that point.

 

I've often wondered whether the Weather Report albums released on ARC/Columbia had anything to do with the earlier ARC:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

This one?

R-2170904-1307128765.jpeg.jpg

If so, it's John Berg, who did all of the Miles 80s albums too. Some nice work in this guy's portfolio

The whole series...

Phillip Hays has his name on the arts...John Berg the design.

R-2247032-1421307478-5613.jpeg.jpg

R-542154-1304026868.jpeg.jpgR-542154-1304026883.jpeg.jpg

R-2035032-1451369076-3356.jpeg.jpg

R-2458994-1345577348-9057.jpeg.jpgR-2458994-1345577337-4279.jpeg.jpg

ah, yes, Philip Hays, lower left corner:

R-5165104-1386266938-5927.jpeg.jpg

funny the tricks you from looking at Don Schlitten-produced LP cvoers

Yes, Charlie Christin as well:

R-13539727-1556204565-9629.jpeg.jpg

Looks likely that we all have seen Mr. Hays' work!

https://www.discogs.com/artist/2516206-Philip-Hays

http://www.philhays.com/info/index.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, JSngry said:

The whole series...

Phillip Hays has his name on the arts...John Berg the design.

R-2247032-1421307478-5613.jpeg.jpg

R-542154-1304026868.jpeg.jpgR-542154-1304026883.jpeg.jpg

R-2035032-1451369076-3356.jpeg.jpg

R-2458994-1345577348-9057.jpeg.jpgR-2458994-1345577337-4279.jpeg.jpg

ah, yes, Philip Hays, lower left corner:

R-5165104-1386266938-5927.jpeg.jpg

funny the tricks you from looking at Don Schlitten-produced LP cvoers

Yes, Charlie Christin as well:

R-13539727-1556204565-9629.jpeg.jpg

Looks likely that we all have seen Mr. Hays' work!

https://www.discogs.com/artist/2516206-Philip-Hays

http://www.philhays.com/info/index.html

Yeah, good stuff. :tup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like all butts, they're of their time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, medjuck said:

Think I've never seen this. IIRC there was a Columbia Teddy Wilson twofer that was released only in Canada.  (No idea why.) 

This is the cover of the Canadian set

.R-11566859-1518627008-4885.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

This is the cover of the Canadian set

.R-11566859-1518627008-4885.jpeg.jpg

I remember lending this one from the public library. Must have the cassette tape I made some where in the attic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

This is the cover of the Canadian set

.R-11566859-1518627008-4885.jpeg.jpg

Isn't that the Columbia logo in the upper left hand corner?

BTW If Mosaic runs out of the Wilson before the Pops arrives they'll be down to 2 sets!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Isn't that the Columbia logo in the upper left hand corner?

BTW If Mosaic runs out of the Wilson before the Pops arrives they'll be down to 2 sets!

Yes, but the label was CBS. I ordered my copy from Sam's.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Yes, but the label was CBS. I ordered my copy from Sam's.

Sam the Record Man in Toronto?  If so John Norris probably shipped it himself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, was very much on the MaybeFence for this one up until jsut now, had a look at the discography again, looked really closely, and took the measurementration. 50.0001 order 49.9999 let it go.

Hey, you know me, I'm a numbers guy, Got the Covid check and a tax refund...this is money that wasn't going to go for the Joe Henderson set, anyway so hey. Teddy be ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, medjuck said:

Sam the Record Man in Toronto?  If so John Norris probably shipped it himself. 

Yes it might have been him. I had met him in Chicago by then. I also got Ornette's "Chappaqua Suite" via mail from Sam's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Yes it might have been him. I had met him in Chicago by then. I also got Ornette's "Chappaqua Suite" via mail from Sam's.

Was Chappaque not available in the US?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Was Chappaque not available in the US?

Not sure it was ever issued here. My current version is on French cds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.